PDA

View Full Version : Rusk

Risker
Sep 17th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I've seen rusk listed as an ingredient on a few things, stuffing mix to name the one I was looking at today.

As far as I'm aware rusk is a type of biscuit and one that I don't think is vegan. So what is it when it's listed as an ingredient? Google doesn't seem to want to be my friend on this one.

sandra
Sep 17th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I see what you mean about Google! I've found out it's a type of biscuit but not if it's vegan. I always assumed it was but until I know what the ingredients are I won't be happy!

psychocandy
Sep 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
The only rusks i know of is farley's rusks my mum used to give us as kids. It is the same ones your'e talking about?

RedWellies
Sep 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I found this, Risker...

Search the Kitchen Encyclopedia:
rusk
Pronounced:RUHSK
A rusk is a slice of yeast bread that is baked as a loaf then cut into rectangular slabs and baked again until dry, crisp and golden brown (much like Italian biscotti). Rusks are available in a variety of flavors: plain, sweetened, buttermilk, marmalade, aniseed, etc.

Doesn't help with the "is it vegan?" question though. Guess you'll have to ask the manufactures.

Risker
Sep 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
The only rusks i know of is farley's rusks my mum used to give us as kids. It is the same ones your'e talking about?

That's the thing, I'm not sure if they mean the same rusk as the biscuit or some other type of rusk. I would've thought that if it was the same type of thing as a farleys rusk they'd have to list all the ingredients of that product rather than just putting 'rusk'.

RedWellies
Sep 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I saw something about rusk being wheat on a delightful sausage site.

Mr Flibble
Sep 18th, 2006, 02:01 PM
In terms of stuffing it's a wheat based bulking agent. As previously mentioned it's made by creating like a hard bread (made with either yeast or sodium bicarb) that is then milled down to create bread crumbs. It's used a lot in sausages and meat products because it can soak up a lot of water (and hence increasing the profit when sold by weight). In terms of veganness - as it's not a single ingredient but a product then it may be vegan or non. I found a link to a manufacturer of rusk however, you can buy 25kg bags for £16.95 and it appears to be vegan (http://www.scobiesdirect.com/ItemInfo.asp?PageNo=1&ItemNo=OC20003&sMethod=ProdCat&CatName=&ProdCat=13200) (although i'm not sure the company is a glowing example of vegan friendly).