PDA

View Full Version : Dot Hewitt's Stewed Okra

rantipole
Sep 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I got this recipe from a 1997 issue of Natural History magazine. They did an article on the history of okra. I love this recipe, especially in the cold of winter.

2 tblspns vegetable oil (optional)
1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
half pound of okra, washed and left whole (use the smallest okra pods you can get)
1 can (14 oz) canned whole tomatoes and the juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tblspn sugar

Combine onion, salt pepper, and juice from tomatoes in saucepan. Crush tomatoes by hand (carefully or they will squirt you) and add. Stir in okra. Cover and cook over low-medium heat until pods are tender--20-25 minutes. Reduce heat, add oil and sugar, stir and serve.

This is delicious over rice or other grains. I usually cut the pepper in half or it is too hot for me. I also normally add some sliced mushrooms and about a half cup of frozen corn. You can do pretty much anything with this recipe and it is always good.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
rant

puffin
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Just found this, havent tried it but i thought it looked nice.

Okra stir fry

Ingredients:
350g okra
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cm piece of fresh root ginger
1 green chilli
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
cold water
juice of one lemon
Instructions:
Trim the ends off the okra and cut into 1cm lengths.
Cut the wide end off the chilli, cut in half lengthways and remove seeds.
Roughly chop the onion then combine with the garlic, ginger, and chilli. Either chop them on a board as finely as you can manage and put aside in a small bowl with 6 tablespoons water or blend them to a paste with 6 tablespoons water in a blender or food processor.
Stir the cumin and coriander into the finely chopped or blended mixture.
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the mixture. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Add the okra, lemon juice and another 7 tablespoons water. Stir well, cover with a lid, and simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes until tender.