PDA

View Full Version : Vegan iron

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Korn
Oct 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I am afraid that if I don't take it they will fall again and I will have to take iron supplements for the rest of my life!
Just eat vegan food rich in iron instead...

Clueless Git
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Just eat vegan food rich in iron instead...

Sounds perfectly sensible to me!

Dark green leafy stuff is my preference. I havent found a single meal idea that can't have a good portion of summat dark leafy and green added to it. Even if thats just a mixed leaf salad (I like the baby leaf one with spinach in it) on the side.

Does anyone know if its true that you should soak leafy greens in water overnight as the iron in them is easier to absorb if some of it has turned to rust?

harpy
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Seriously, CS? I would be worried about losing some nutrients into the water, and I would also be amazed if any rusting occurred.

Having some vitamin C (e.g. orange juice) with your iron-containing foods is probably a safer bet for improving absorption - that one seems to be better documented.

Clueless Git
Oct 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Seriously, CS?
No, not seriously at all ...

T'was just something silly that occurred to me last night, whilst shovelling a sack of spinach into my stir fry, and has had me gigglin' ever since :o

harpy
Oct 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
OIC :D You had me fooled.

FWIW I read that, despite Popeye, the iron in spinach is quite hard to absorb because of the ?oxalates, but that cooking it may help - especially if you cook it with something containing vitamin C presumably.

sandra
Oct 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I recently found out that prune juice is quite high in iron and one glass provides 17% of our daily iron and vitamin C :)

snowflower
Jan 20th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Hi,

Wondering how many of you take an iron supplement? I am learning quite a bit about plant sources of iron however I am being treated for anemia right now so i'm stuck with taking iron supplements for awhile... I am wondering because I have been anemic 3 different times in the past few years.. it kind of goes in cycles.. take iron, feel better.... wait a few months, start feeling weak again, bloodwork comes out anemic again... take iron again.. etc.. 2 out of the 3 times was when i ate red meat every day so I think i may just be prone to being anemic? (veg last year and a half)

so wondering if anyone just takes iron as a precaution... also does anyone get blood tests every so often to monitor iron levels?

Korn
Jan 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hi Snowflower,
I just merged you trhead with some other threads about iron - so it will be easier you to find the info you're looking for! :-)

We also have this thread:
Iron rich recipes needed! (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?16402-Iron-rich-recipes-needed!)

Good luck, and remember that using cast iron (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?23015-I-ve-just-bought-a-cast-iron-frying-pan) cookware also helps!

fiamma
Jan 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I posted this on another thread...
Molasses is a great source of iron, as well as providing other minerals...
2 teaspoons gives you 50% of your RDA :cool:
All the best :)

Manzana
Jan 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi,

Wondering how many of you take an iron supplement? I am learning quite a bit about plant sources of iron however I am being treated for anemia right now so i'm stuck with taking iron supplements for awhile... I am wondering because I have been anemic 3 different times in the past few years.. it kind of goes in cycles.. take iron, feel better.... wait a few months, start feeling weak again, bloodwork comes out anemic again... take iron again.. etc.. 2 out of the 3 times was when i ate red meat every day so I think i may just be prone to being anemic? (veg last year and a half)

so wondering if anyone just takes iron as a precaution... also does anyone get blood tests every so often to monitor iron levels?

I have a handful of pistachios and dried apricots every day in my breakfast plus use iron pans a couple of times a week... Never had iron deficiency (once I had low iron but that was due to blood loss not food and soon got back to normal without supplements within 6 weeks)...

When I have blood tests I ask them to check but it is mainly out of curiosity not because I think I have a chance of being deficient. In short, if you plan it well and with no underlaying conditions, there is no reason why a vegan should be iron deficient and no need for supplements.

khadagan
Jan 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Only when I was pregnant with my daughter was I monitored for iron levels regularly through bloodtests. I found that you need to take iron-rich foods very regularly. If I would skip on any of these foods my iron levels dropped off immediately. Since then I make sure I have plenty of greens almost every day, just maintaining a healthy diet balanced and varied and a handful of apricots for instance if I want to make sure I'm getting enough iron.

Back-Space
Jan 21st, 2011, 03:01 AM
I have a handful of pistachios and dried apricots every day in my breakfast plus use iron pans a couple of times a week... Never had iron deficiency (once I had low iron but that was due to blood loss not food and soon got back to normal without supplements within 6 weeks)...

When I have blood tests I ask them to check but it is mainly out of curiosity not because I think I have a chance of being deficient. In short, if you plan it well and with no underlaying conditions, there is no reason why a vegan should be iron deficient and no need for supplements.

Supposedly cast iron pans can give you 20% of your iron in one sitting. I don't know how it would do that when it's heavily seasoned though :rolleyes: I bought one not all that long ago. Was researching pans. Non-stick is bad because... Aluminum is bad because... OKay. Iron, you need it in your diet anyhow :) A little more natural I guess.

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jan 21st, 2011, 03:26 AM
You know I've been wondering about Iron as of lately. I'm a cyclist and I just started training again for the upcoming road season and I've become a little bit worried about sports-anemia as it can be a problem with non-vegan and vegan athletes alike. I've felt overtrained in the past, but that was my own-fault. I should really get my blood checked, but I have an irrational thing against going to doctors... I'm pretty good with my diet, but I've heard good things about floradix iron and herbs form other cyclists, however only the yeast-free version is vegan and it's about $28 a bottle. Perhaps I just need to get off my ass and get my blood checked, it couldn't hurt.

Back-Space
Jan 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
If you're just worried about your iron, you should go donate some blood or plasma. They check your blood for diseases I didn't even know existed. They check protein levels(on plasma and platelets only), they check your iron, weight, blood pressure, heart rate, temperature. You get to help someone in need, and it's not a half bad check up either :p I can't remember whether you get paid for it in the States or not... Could mean a few extra dollars for a charity too ;)

Eat Y'self Fitter
Jan 21st, 2011, 03:57 AM
You don't get paid, but that's really not the point of it. Ironically they hold blood drives all the time at my University and every time it seems I'm on the run or got somewhere to be. It's a shame perhaps I'll make sure to check the schedule ahead of time.

Back-Space
Jan 21st, 2011, 04:06 AM
You don't get paid, but that's really not the point of it. Ironically they hold blood drives all the time at my University and every time it seems I'm on the run or got somewhere to be. It's a shame perhaps I'll make sure to check the schedule ahead of time.

They don't pay you in Canada, but I know they used to for plasma in some States. They charge people probably $1000 for a bag of blood, so you might aswell take the money if they offer it. You'll put it to better use than the government will. Plus if you're looking to go drinking, it's alot cheaper to get drunk with a liter less of blood :p Just keep winning.

Manzana
Jan 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM
If you're just worried about your iron, you should go donate some blood or plasma.
Donating blood will put a lot of strain in your iron levels. Not saying you should not do it, but certainly you should not do it out of concern for your iron levels or to get a free blood test to check your iron...

cobweb
Jan 21st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Spa Tone is excellent if anyone wants a natural Iron supplement, it tastes good too.

sandra
Jan 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Is Spa Tone in medicine form Cobweb and where do you get it? :)

Risker
Jan 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
Donating blood will put a lot of strain in your iron levels. Not saying you should not do it, but certainly you should not do it out of concern for your iron levels or to get a free blood test to check your iron...

I'm pretty sure they test that before they take the blood.

cobweb
Jan 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Is Spa Tone in medicine form Cobweb and where do you get it? :)

Spatone (I forgot it's all one word, sorry!), is iron rich water from the Welsh Snowdonia Mountains. It comes in individual sachets (28 of them for about 7.60) which you add to pure orange juice. It tastes lovely and pure. I buy it in either Tesco or in the shop where I work. I only take them when I feel run down and they definitely pick me up.

Manzana
Jan 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure they test that before they take the blood.

Well, that is exactly my point... it makes as much sense to test your iron levels and then donate blood as to test your alcohol levels in blood before you drink 2 litres of beer...

You will only find out if you WERE ok not if you are going to be ok.

Risker
Jan 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
^ Not sure I understand what you're saying.

The website for blood donation here in England says that they check your haemoglobin levels then if it's ok they take the blood, not that they check them then take the blood anyway.

Manzana
Jan 21st, 2011, 01:09 PM
What I am saying is that if you are concerned that your athletic performance might be compromised due to iron being a bottle neck, then donating blood to work out how much iron you have in your blood does not make much sense.

If your iron levels were ok, then they take blood which means that you are likely to have much lower iron levels afterwards and for the nest few weeks at least (so you end up in the position you were to start with but now with a reason to believe that you have to watch your iron intake since you have lost blood).

If it was not ok, then they won't take the blood and you will find out that you are iron deficient in which case, you also need to watch your iron intake.

Risker
Jan 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
Got it, makes sense. :)