PDA

View Full Version : Halva

tofutofu
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
how delicious is halva. i love it. & its so healthy. i like the organic one sweetened with grape juice. anyone love halva??

pavotrouge
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Memememe, I've got a Turkish grocery next door and they have got a lot of different flavours :-)

sandra
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
What is Halva? :)

Wildflower
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
It is like a fudge made from sesame seed paste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halva

I sometimes eat it as they always have samples out at the market I go to, but I never really buy it myself. Does anyone know any recipes for it, or do you just eat it plain as a snack/dessert?

sandra
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks Wildflower, it sounds lovely, now if I can only find out where I can get it over here in the middle of nowhere! :)

Tigerlily
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:18 PM

I sometimes eat it as they always have samples out at the market I go to, but I never really buy it myself. Does anyone know any recipes for it, or do you just eat it plain as a snack/dessert?

You eat it with pita bread. :) Break off a piece of the bread, break off a piece of the halva, and eat it together.

Lazuli Blue
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks Wildflower, it sounds lovely, now if I can only find out where I can get it over here in the middle of nowhere! :)

You might be able to get it in Holland & Barratt, some supermarkets sell it aswell - Waitrose I think.

It is yummy, too sweet for my husband though (shame!;) )

sandra
Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Lazuli Blue, I have a Holland and Barratt quite near me, I'll go tomorrow and see if they have it! :)

tofutofu
Sep 24th, 2006, 08:17 AM
i normally just eat it plain :) YuM!!! oOo other flavours..i've seen a honey one and a nut one. what others are there??

fiamma
Sep 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Here's a recipe (http://www.organicfood.co.uk/inspiration/raw_halva.html)for halva. There seem to be loads of variations but this is vegan and seems very easy.

psychocandy
Sep 24th, 2006, 10:32 AM
i've never had halva before either. do you eat it on it's own or with something else?

fiamma
Sep 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I've always eaten it on its own, like chocolate or something.

eve
Sep 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Just seeing the name 'halva' gets my juices going! Thanks for that recipe fiamma - I'll make it tomorrow. :D

pavotrouge
Sep 24th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Mhhh...I can't name all the flavours, they've got chocolate, vanilla, pistaccio, banana, different nut ones... one more reason for loving the Turkish store... I also usually eat it on its own as a dessert.

tofutofu
Sep 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
wow the banana halva sounds devine!!

Kalia
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
oh I love Halva
lol I didn't know it as very recognized out the middle east

ladyaprille
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
how delicious is halva. i love it. & its so healthy. i like the organic one sweetened with grape juice. anyone love halva??

how is it healthy when it is full of sugar?

xxx

Pantha
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM

mmm that sounds nice. Weve been given some and its been in the fridge for a few days. I keep getting it out and looking at it and then putting it back cos I dont really know what it is or what to do with it.:)

pavotrouge
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:56 PM
how is it healthy when it is full of sugar?

xxx

Definitely a lot healthier than other sweets, provided that it consist of few very natural ingredients and sesame as the main ingredient (mine says 55% sesame). Plus, you can't it much of it at a time cuz' it's REALLY REALLY sweet.

A bit sugar hasn't killed anyone so far :o

tofutofu
Oct 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
ladyaprille..i've never had a halva with sugar in. well mine is sweetened with grapejuice :-) fruit sugar yes but bad sugar noo :D

ladyaprille
Oct 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM
oh right! well thats great - il keep my eye open then! - i had some in egypt - and it really did taste like eating a fine sugar cube!! heehee - it is VERY tasty.