PDA

View Full Version : Viva!s Incredible Veggie Roadshows 2005

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gertvegan
Sep 25th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Viva!’s Incredible Veggie Roadshows

Campaigning animal welfare group Viva! is set to launch The Incredible Veggie Roadshow, as part of its 10th anniversary celebrations, this October.

“The roadshows are essentially a fun day out which is a celebration of veggie living”, says Juliet Gellatley, international director of Viva!. “For the increasing numbers of people who want to find out more about improving their health, saving animals and protecting the environment, these are upbeat events which will entertain and help. And they’re all free of charge!”

More info. (http://www.viva.org.uk/mediareleases/pr2004/04-21roadshow.htm)

The Incredible Veggie Roadshow Itinerary (www.viva.org.uk/roadshows)

Gorilla
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM
thanks gert, i'll hopefully be at the Bristol fayre and i'll definitely be at the Brighton roadshow event!!! :D

gertvegan
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:09 PM
Following on from the launch of the Viva roadshow in Bristol, the show rolls into Brighton ( recently voted "Best UK Destination for Vegetarians" ) in less than a month. See HERE. (http://www.viva.org.uk/roadshows/brighton.html)

Veg*n fever is catching.

snaffler
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:20 PM
Even in a small town like Frome we have one very high quality Veggie/Vegan/Organic Cafe.

:D

Gorilla
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
i was pleased to see that Brighton's local newspaper had devoted a whole page today to the Viva Incredible Veggie Roadshow, which is this Saturday. :D

the article mentions briefly why a veg*n diet is healthy, and what foods are essential for health. plus it mentions the cookery demos, talks, free food, stalls, competitions etc. Infinity Foods, my local veg*n co-operative wholefood shop, have devoted their whole display window to promoting the event too. i'm hoping there will be a big turn-out :D

cedarblue
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:41 PM
enjoy yourself there gorilla ;)

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM
well, the roadshow yesterday was great. i got there at about 10:00, and it was a good thing i did as it got really busy really quickly. it was fairly small, mostly Viva's stall and lots of free food samples ;)

i got to taste quite a lot of stuff and bought VVF's cool pink "Veggie for life" t-shirt that i'd been after for a while ;) i left after about an hour and went back later on to see a tofu cookery talk, but had to queue to get back in because the place was packed! hopefully some omnis were tempted to pop in, and had their misconceptions about vegan food well and truly corrected :D

Pete
Nov 28th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Hey Gorilla,
we must have passed at some point. I was doing the AR stall outside Vegetarian shoes, apart from a brief break when I when in to scoff some of that yummy food :D (I was the embarressed one carrying out loads of plates to feed the stallers with everyone staring thinking "greedy git" :o )

gertvegan
Jan 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I was just reminded that the Solihull roadshow is on the 29th, if you're local. :)

gertvegan
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Vibrant veggies needed for Manchester roadshow!!

Hot on the heels of our successful roadshow in Solihull which attracted over 1400 people, Viva! are now cracking on with plans for our Incredible Veggie Roadshow to be held at the Cross Street Chapel, Manchester, on Saturday 26 March, 10am-5pm. If you can help promote the roadshow or spare a morning, afternoon or the whole day to lend a hand on the day itself, we'd love to hear from you!! Tasks on the day will include: leafleting outside the venue, counting the number of people through the doors, giving out copies of our free It's Time To Go Veggie magazine and getting people to enter our free prize draw, dishing up hot food samples, giving out cold food samples and talking to people about where they can buy products from, manning info displays on leather-free/cruelty-free/mother and baby, making teas and coffees and last but not least washing up! To sign up call Angie on 0117 944 1000 or email angie@viva.org.uk. Further details about this and future roadshows can be found at Viva (www,viva.org.uk)

gertvegan
Mar 5th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Veggies serve up food for thought

Rashid Razaq, 5th March 2005, manchesteronline.co.uk (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/148/148517__veggies_serve_up_food_for_thought.html)

A VEGETARIAN convention is being held in Manchester this month to promote the benefits of a meat-free diet.

The Vegetarians' International Voice for Animals (Viva) is bringing cooks, nutritionists and vegan food manufacturers to the city centre to sell the benefits of veggie living.

The group believes the recent health alerts over the cancer-causing Sudan 1 dye, found in many processed foods, and the outbreak of Thai bird flu, will help rally more people to its cause.

Viva campaigner Justin Kerswell said: "We want to give people the effects of eating meat on the Third World and the environment and, of course, the one billion animals killed each year in the UK. The average person eats 4,000 animals in their lifetime.

"Then, there are the health effects. The British Medical Association has said that people with meat-free diets have lower rates of obesity, cancers and blood pressure."

Organisers hope to convince pregnant mums and parents of young children that vegetarian and vegan diets can provide essential nutrients in a series of talks at its Cross Street Chapel on March 26.

A leading US nutritionist recently branded parents who refuse to feed their children meat as "unethical".

Prof Lindsay Allen, of the University of California, said that growing children could be caused permanent damage as animal products contain nutrients not found anywhere else.

But Mr Kerswell said: "The claims were based on deeply flawed research with malnourished children in Africa. It was not based on a Western family's diet and Sir Paul McCartney, who has been a vegetarian for 20 years, has gone public to say the claims were complete rubbish.

"People in the West are grossly overweight and the rise in obesity has gone hand in hand with meat consumption. Before the Second World War people would eat meat only once a week."

There are an estimated 250,000 vegans and up to four million vegetarians in the UK.

Viva claims success in getting Marks & Spencer to remove factory-farmed ducks from its shelves this year after exposing conditions at its supplier.

It has also lobbied supermarkets to stop the sale of exotic meats such as kangaroo and crocodile.

Evilfluffbunny
Mar 12th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Sounds great (especially the bit about free food!). :) I'm going to try to go to the Edinburgh one in April - my fiance' keeps teasing me about turning up in his leather coat and trousers though. :p

VeganMum
Mar 13th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Anyone coming along to the southampton one in June?

gertvegan
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I was going to go to the Manchester roadshow this month, but its a bank holiday and theres no cheap train tickets. £55 is a tad too much.

I hope to pop over to Cardiff in May also.

I would have gone to Southampton, had I been able to squeeze in a Brighton visit on the same day, but it seems not. :(

VeganMum
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Ill go to brighton aswell as its only down the road

Gorilla
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
what with planning to go to the Birmingham vegan fayre in June, i doubt i'd be able to afford to visit Southampton for the Viva! veggie roadshow as well. but we've already had our own here in Brighton :)

gertvegan
Mar 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Viva!'s Solihull Veggie Roadshow on Saturday 29th January 2005 was the best yet with an amazing 1,418 people coming through the doors....far more than at their Brighton show.

Read a little more here. (http://www.geocities.com/wmids_animalaction/viva-veggie-roadshow.html)

Kevster
Mar 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Anyone go along to the Manchester event? Cloudius, i may go along to the Sheffield fayre, are you free that day?

gertvegan
Mar 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Anyone in Cardiff on Saturday 14 May 2005 ? Going to the roadshow ? Fancy helping out ?

If so, Viva would love to hear from you. They need plenty of volunteers for the day. And then everyone is laughing. :D

gertvegan
Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
‘Overwhelming success’ for Viva!’s Incredible Veggie Roadshow in Manchester

People queued in the street to gain entry to Manchester’s Cross Street Chapel for Viva!’s Incredible Veggie Roadshow last Saturday 26 March. Over 1,300 people were counted through the door by the time the show closed at 5pm. The show’s popularity exceeded all expectations, with even more people attending than came to the Brighton show in November last year. Everything you could ever have wanted to know about going, being or staying veggie/vegan was on tap, including delicious food tastings from vegan food manufacturers.

The Incredible Veggie Roadshow is organised by campaign group Viva! as part of its 10th anniversary celebrations, and will make appearances in cities all over the UK. Next stop is Edinburgh on April 30.

Viva!, is an international animal campaigning group with offices in the UK, USA and Poland. It carries out undercover investigations to expose animal abuse and successes include ending the sale of ‘exotic’ meats such as kangaroo and crocodile by all big supermarkets, stopping the debeaking of ducks in the UK, slashing the export of Polish ‘meat’ horses to the EU and persuading a US supermarket chain to entirely rewrite its animal welfare codes.

Viva!’s most recent victory was last year when Marks & Spencer dropped all factory-farmed whole ducks following an exposé of its main duck supplier. The supplier went bust! Viva! also produces materials on going vegetarian and vegan.

“We are absolutely delighted that so many people from Manchester came along and I believe it indicates a fundamental change in people’s attitudes to animal cruelty, health and the state of the planet. It was a fun day out and a celebration of veggie living but the underlying message was deadly serious”, says Juliet Gellatley, Viva!’s international director.

Pics from the day can be viewed HERE. (http://www.viva.org.uk/roadshows/post_manchester/)

Due to an unprecedented demand, Viva!’s new It’s Time to Go Veggie magazine ran out on the day.

DoveInGreyClothing
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I shall be going to the Edinburgh one.

Muirzo
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
welli'll cya at the edimoogar one :P

RockyRaccoon
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I'll be helping out in the morning on the cold food tasting stall at the Cardiff show on the 14th May. Is anyone else going to this one?

gertvegan
Apr 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I'll be helping out in the morning on the cold food tasting stall at the Cardiff show on the 14th May. Is anyone else going to this one?Nice one Rocky. I hopefully will be going, we'll have to meet up(will pm you), and anyone else to.

I got this email from Viva today, for anyone that could help.

Hi there!

Just over 2 weeks from now Viva! will be bringing our Incredible Veggie Roadshow to St David’s Hall, on Saturday 14 May, 10am-5pm.

The first four of our roadshows, launched in Bristol and then held in Brighton, Solihull and Manchester, have been a great success attracting over 5,000, nearly 1,000, over 1,400 and 1,300 visitors respectively and we are hoping that Cardiff will be equally well attended.

For the roadshow to run smoothly and successfully we need a team of Viva! staff and volunteers and it’d be great if you could join us on the day. We have already seen what a difference we can make through these events, with many people already pledging to go veggie or vegan as a result. And we’re certain Cardiff will be no different – other than it could be the biggest and best roadshow yet!!

So if you can spare a morning or afternoon to lend a hand, I’d love to hear from you!! We still volunteers for our:

· Promo/welcome desk – 1.30-5pm
· Hot food tastings – 1.30-5pm
· Cold food tastings – 1.30-5pm
· Info stalls – 10am-1.30pm

Full details about this tasks are detailed below.

Simply call me on 0117 944 1000 or email angie@viva.org.uk in the next couple of days to register your support.

Please help us if you can to spread the veggie world and save animals! Thank you.

Best wishes,

Angie

Angie Greenaway
Roadshow Co-ordinator
Viva!
8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol BS2 8QH
T 0117 944 1000 F 0117 926 4646 W www.viva.org.uk

Incredible Veggie Roadshow

BREAKDOWN OF AREAS AND TASKS

Promotion outside & Welcome desk

At any one time, there will be 2 people outside the venue (although not standing together) leafleting passers-by and encouraging them to come in so you need to be cheerful and pro-active as a smile and persistence does pays off!

Situated just inside the venue, from this point visitors will be welcomed into the roadshow and invited to complete a prize draw questionnaire, the winner of which will receive a free meal at a local veggie establishment.

Completed questionnaires are invaluable to Viva! as, from them, we are able to build up a picture of how visitors heard about the roadshow, whether they eat meat, are veggie etc, if the roadshow has made them consider buying more veggie products or changing their diet and it also enables us to contact visitors to let them know about our campaigns or similar local and national events.

From this table we also offering visitors free copies of our It’s Time To Go Veggie magazine, which should answer any questions they may have about going, being and staying veggie.

At any one time, one volunteer from this table will also need to count visitors to the roadshow, using an easy-to-use clicker counter.

There will also be a bucket for donations which visitors should be invited to contribute to as they leave!

Viva! merchandise
Manned by Viva! staff, this stall will have on display a wide range of Viva! merchandise including recipe books, vegan chocolates, T-shirts and more.

VVF campaigns and merchandise
Short for the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation, the VVF is the sister health charity to Viva! and actively promotes the health benefits of a veggie diet. Manned by Viva!/VVF staff, this stall will feature information for visitors to take freely, as well as copies of the VVF’s magazine veggiehealth, and merchandise (including health and recipe books, bags and
T-shirts) for sale.

Viva! campaigns
Manned by the Viva! campaigns team, this stall will feature leaflets and other literature on each of Viva!’s key campaigns.

Hot food tastings
This is the area from which a selection of Indian, Chinese, Asian and English hot dishes will be served. All the food just needs reheating and serving to the hungry masses! Replicas of all of the dishes are given in a recipe flyer which can be given freely to visitors. It also contains details of all of the businesses supporting the roadshow through product donations (see below).

Guidance on reheating and serving food will be given on the day.

Cold food tastings
A wide range of veggie-friendly businesses are supporting our roadshows by donating products for each event. These include Cheatin’ meats and sausages from Redwood’s, dairy-free cheeses from Isle of Bute and Tofutti, pates from Granovita, egg-free mayo and chocolate from Plamil and crisps from Kettle Chips. Details of all food donors are listed in the recipe/supplier flyer which visitors can freely take. The flyer also gives recipes similar to the dishes served on the hot food tastings stall (see above).

Volunteers on this stall should be pro-active about asking what people think about the products, if they like them, advising where they can buy them from and of course keeping the food samples topped up – something of a juggling act!

NB: When handling food, disposable gloves should be worn – these will be provided by Viva!

celtic rose
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I'll be there. :)
I've been handing out invites at work so hopefully some with come.