PDA

View Full Version : Storing nutritional yeast?

Yogini
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I just bought two big jars of Red Star. Can I store the unopened one in the freezer until I'm done with the first jar?

Thanks!

Sheila
Oct 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure about the freezer but I bought a bag of yeast at the store and they told me that I needed to keep it in the fridge to keep the little yeasts happy.
Sheila

eve
Oct 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Yes I tip the bag of nutritional yeast into a sort of biscuit tin, and keep it in the fridge.

Wildflower
Oct 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I keep mine in the fridge, but it sits out in the bulk bins at the store...

Smoothie
Oct 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM
i keep mine in the jar i get it in, on a shelf. it doesn't say anything about storage on the jar, so i think it's okay. but the kind we have in denmark is not the exact same kind as in the us, i think.

Yogini
Oct 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I've got the jar I have open in the fridge because it says on it to keep it in the fridge. But I have this thing where I need to keep stuff that I don't use frequently stored away. Which is why I want to put the unopened jar in the freezer, but I don't want it be too cold and get ruined.

Sheila
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I've got the jar I have open in the fridge because it says on it to keep it in the fridge. But I have this thing where I need to keep stuff that I don't use frequently stored away. Which is why I want to put the unopened jar in the freezer, but I don't want it be too cold and get ruined.

I happened to be in the shop where I buy my yeast yesterday. I asked the lady who always helps me. She said she had never heard of anyone putting it in the freezer but thought it might be OK if you did.

Sheila

Yogini
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
She said she had never heard of anyone putting it in the freezer but thought it might be OK if you did.

Sheila

Thank you!