PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

mariana
Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
I kind of expected to be disgusted by dairy food smells because I'd heard other vegans say that happens...and I've always been disgusted by the smell of meat (even though I've never tasted it)...but I wasn't expecting to be as disgusted as I am by the smell! I went into an ice cream shop with my dad the other day and actually felt nauseous from the sickly sweet ice cream smell.

tipsy
Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM
the smell walking down an isle of cheese makes me sick to my stomach now too...

my fav unexpected vegan funs? sharing dinner with the dog everynight.

Elahiya
Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
the worst was when some of my fellow students at the uni made themselves these instant soups/snacks. gosh! they smell like right out of hell!!!! or if they made some toast with meat and melty cheese slices! i thought i´d have to throw up right into the cafeteria!

HerbivoreChick
Jun 4th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I have definitely noticed that since I've been vegan that I really haven't gotten any kind of cold or flu since I've become a vegan. It's great!! I also notice that my hair is much thicker, and seems healthier!! :)

Lizzybo
Jun 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
My eczema and urticaria improved a lot, as did my rhinitis (I am one of these people cursed to be allergic to the entire planet; flowers, fluffy kittens, you name it)

I have also found that although I eat less food, I am less hungry. I never realised before how much of what I used to eat was devoid of actual nutrition. I don't get carb cravings or the chocolate gremlins nibbling at my insides so the longer I am vegan, the fewer moments of weakness I have where I crave stuff that I used to enjoy eating.

It's strange. Despite all I know about the meat and dairy industries, every now and again I still get a whiff of something ghastly and instead of being revolted, my stomach says 'Do you remember, we used to LOVE that.' Go figure.

Laura-Louise
Jun 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My favourite unexpected effect of goig vegan is that my cat no longer tries to grab the food off my fork as I try to get it into my mouth (the fork, not the cat). Now that everything I eat is vegetable based, he is no longer interested and so turns his full attention to my other half's dinner instead.

Justin
Jun 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
an annoying sense of self righteousness? no wait, that's Stu, not me :D

SarcasticCookie
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:37 AM
My mental status has greatly improved.

My depression and bipolar were horrible. But now I'm more optimistic and feel better in general. I'm sure that it being summer helps as well.

And my skin is softer than ever (I used to pride myself on really soft skin) and my blackheads are disappearing! And my wart also disappeared. I've had it since I was 8.

wom
Jun 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I think we need to set up a peer-reviewed double-blind experiment to put this one to rest once and for all ...
Haha, maybe this isn't peer reviewed, or particularly scientific, but this is the closest I can find: clicky (http://www.viceland.com/int/v13n3/htdocs/whose.php?country=uk) (probably NSFW)
Apologies for the crude language and the pictures with the article. But it says our herbivore farts don't smell as much!

petunia
Jun 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
i dont know if any of you subscibe to the magazine "vegnews". if you do, you may have already read this, but if not...

there was an article posted in the april 08 edition called "222 reasons to be veg". here are some that i thought were the best (some serious, some funny):

2. never having to wear leather pants
13. not eating the bodies of tortured souls
20. having clean arteries that arent clogged with dead animal goo
22. not having to worry about getting blood stains on the tablecloth
33. helping my grandmother learn new words like "vegan"
35. walking the talk
37. saving an average of 200 animals a year just by not eating them
44. no dead bodies in my refrigerator
42. being an activist at every meal
53. the automatic leg-up on tose ubiquitous eco-footprint quizzes
55. being a "radical" vegetarian makes you just a little bit cooler.
74. being consistant. (claim to love animals? prove it!)
77. good karma
79. getting to wear pleather in a non-weird way
85. adhering to the principles of ahimsa
92. never having to cut and prepare blood soaked food
110. not inadvertently funding a corrupt agribusiness billionaire's vacation
home
112. watching veganism become more mainstream
117. knowing that the heimlich maneuver, if ever needed, wont produce a
hunk of dead flesh
118. never having to seperate egg yolks from whites
123. not getting queasy when thinking about where food comes from
124. never having a kitchen that reeks of seafood.
125. visiting farm sanctuaries
132. not having to use a toothpick to scrape meat out of one's teeth
139. even though i dont own a prius, im still more of an environmentalist
than al gore.
140. having the most unique and exciting cookbook collection ever
142. eating healthfully by default
150. vegetarians smell better
153. creating a perfect universe within ones own life
155. not having to scrape burnt cheese off the bottom of the oven
164. making a salad in less than 5 minutes. the ultimate fast food!
166. using my vegan status to deflect weirdos in bars
168. cruelty free thanksgivings
171. bragging rights
177. a cleaner colon
181. not being a mindless, cheese-addicted zombie..
186. not worrying about whether tofu is cage-free
201. not being a wooly bully!
203. not creating arbitrary distinctions between animals
204. vegenaise!
207. cool t-shirts!
208. wearing my own skin and no one else's
216. vegan soap feels clean, not lardy.

pretty good, hey?

tofuandpotatoes
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
i lost about 20 pounds in a month, and my weight has been the same (130-140) since then, and i've grown about 4 inches.

i smell better. lol.

i'm slender.

i ran faster at first. (however, because of... mental/nervous(nerves) problems, i'm... rather unphysical as of a year ago)

hmm...

i eat a huge variety of foods, all of which can be eaten raw, and shared with my animal friends.

i learned to cook greatly. i can make almost anything now! :) not really greatly, but good enough to feed and satisfy myself.

i pretty much completed my phylosophy, matured massively, and made some good friends.

BagelKitty
Jul 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
My favorite unexpected effect is that I am way more freaking energetic. I wake up before my alarm clock, and I even have time to enjoy breakfast and tea before rushing out the door to work.

KayVegan
Jul 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
More energetic, less colds, better complexion

Melani
Jul 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
My favorite thing was losing 120 pounds without even trying.

Roxy
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Wow Melani! I lost just about 40 pounds as a result of my veganism. You lost 3 times that much! Congratulations :)

umbilical
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
so many vegans lost weight here :)

i lost a lot after i turned vegetarian...
becoming vegan later didn't really change that much

Roxy
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
If you didn't eat a lot of dairy as a vegetarian, that could be why.

I went straight from omnivore to vegan. I put some of the weight loss down to the fact that I stopped eating store bought baked goods.

umbilical
Jul 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM
you're probably right roxy.

i wonder if it's possible to just live from water melon ;)

i almost did that ( i also ate some rice and rockmelon) for 2 weeks on vacation in turkey, because the hotel we were in... had all meals mixed with either meat or cheese...

pavotrouge
Jul 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
you probably couldn't, because water melon has a detox effect and you wouldn't want to have that going on forever ^^

Roxy
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
you're probably right roxy.

i wonder if it's possible to just live from water melon ;)

i almost did that ( i also ate some rice and rockmelon) for 2 weeks on vacation in turkey, because the hotel we were in... had all meals mixed with either meat or cheese...

Oh you poor thing! Was Turkey in general very vegan friendly?

umbilical
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
you probably couldn't, because water melon has a detox effect and you wouldn't want to have that going on forever ^^

i see, i didn't know about that.
but this must be the reason why water melon is so tasty ..temporarily :D

pavotrouge
Jul 18th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I've read it's also one of the healthiest fruits to eat.

Pilaf
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I dunno if I mentioned this already or even if it's appropriate but..er...a certain part of my anatomy actually seems to have become..healthier? Yes healthier.

I dunno if it was veganism or a coincidence but considering I was already "fully grown" when I went vegan I tend to credit the dietary change..haha

Roxy
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, I think I know what you're saying Pilaf, but I'm not sure. Do you mean that your penis got bigger when you went vegan? Or, if it's not too personal, are you saying that you have better sexual experiences now (more prolonged etc)?

pavotrouge
Jul 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM
bigger = healthier ?!?
:dizzy: