PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

indianvegan
Jul 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Got rid of Cold and cough, almost. Clean lungs.

Drammatic reduction in problem of Urticaria, though mine is also linked with change of weather.

indianvegan
Jul 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM
My Urticaria got reduced very much, or almost cured cause of B-12 supplementaion? I found one linke here -- http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T39005.html

veganeatingout
Jul 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I actually gained pounds which is great because I've been underweight. Because veganism brings more attention to the diet it also encouraged me to eat more so as to avoid the "sickly vegan" stereotype and I feel healthier than before.

I've also become much more receptive to what's in the produce section of the supermarket. Mmmmmm

freudianxslipp
Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Haha, well I've always been the chubby girl and had trouble losing weight... and when I became a vegan, in 8 months or so I lost 34 pounds.
And NO, it wasn't unhealthily. I actually eat a large amount of food.. but being a vegan, everything is very fiber rich, so it really does work to my benefit. =]

Edeline
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I know that it’s still early days yet, but I swear that my skin is already starting to improve. The dark circles under my eyes have practically disappeared, and my cellulite has gotten loads better. I haven’t weighed myself yet, but I’m also pretty sure that I’ve lost some weight (which is incredible, considering how much cheezly I’ve been eating! :eek: )

firstandthen
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
For some reason, my phobia of spiders has decreased dramatically. I've even been on mini rescue missions for two of them!

Mahk
Sep 15th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Precognition.

cobainist403
Sep 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Expression. Conscientiousness.

qwerty
Sep 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
X-ray vision and spidey senses

Declan
Sep 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I used to be really prone to colds and this winter despite living in student halls with 239 other people who pretty much all had colds (except the other vegan), and seeing a girl who was choked with the cold for weeks, I haven't had one at all since I went vegan. Which is nice. I also get really cool random bursts of energy which comes in handy as I live at the top of a tenement block at the top of a big hill.

starlight
Sep 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
[quote=snivelingchild;10368]What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?
quote]

An awareness and concern about animal rights and animal wrongs.

Rakey
Sep 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hmmmm, weight loss, less headaches, much more energy, better sex drive & much better orgasms.

The first week of being vegan I found getting out of bed very easy, but now its colder it isn't so easy anymore.

I also have seemed to be happier and don't get ill. Plus my awareness and concearn about animals is so much better than what it used to be.

fiveqs
Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:14 AM
Whenever it's not raining or snowing, we're out on the deck for our meals. The interesting thing I've noticed since we went Vegan is that the Yellowjackets, that used to harass us relentlessly over the summer, just buzz right on past our table now. No meat or animal ingredients to attract them :-)
I consider this a really nice benefit. I've been stung by them sooo many times.
Paul Q

Virpukka
Oct 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have been vegan now little over three months and I have lost 12 pounds from my weight what is great because I have so much overweight. I'm much less depressed now and I think that my body goes trough somekind detoxin because I got acne what is getting better now thought. I must say that biggest thing has been to me it how it has helped me with my eating disorder. I have BED and when I still eat sometimes to dump my feelings down I haven't binge once after I turned to vegan, actually I can forget to eat sometimes now. That never happened before. I also lost those sugar and fatty food cravings what I use to have daily. I do know that my eating habits are so much helthier now that what they use to what makes me feel better too.

Roxy
Oct 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM
That's good news virpukka :) It's good to hear you are looking and feeling healthier.

cobweb
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
fantastic, Virpukka! :thumbsup:

pavotrouge
Oct 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
congrats, virpukka!

Virpukka
Oct 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks. Yeah that really have made me enjoy from this jouney and helps me to keep focus in the fact that I want to be vegan rest of my life.

starlight
Oct 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Not sure if it counts, but it does for me .... My mum has just gone vegan!

Yes, really. My mum - the lifetime carnivore and from a meat-and-two-veg family.

Now that was unexpected!

So this is how it happened ....

I was chatting with her over MSN on the weekend and she was worried about her cholesterol etc and bad side effects she's getting from the statins the doctor has given her. She was talking about going back to the doctors to get more / different drugs.

So i said ... hey, I've got a better idea ... how about cutting out the animal products in your diet. I spent 10 minutes running through some of the basics of why this would help (e.g. no cholesterol in plants) and tackled some of the basic myths head on (e.g. doctors don't know best, white meat and fish is bad too etc) and thought nothing more of it.

This evening on MSN she says she's trying it and has been vegan since Sunday.

woohoo!

lol

Sorry for the exuberance, but I needed to share. I'm happy she may be on the road to better health and lots of animals will be saved too.

Definately my favourite unexpected effect so far.

Gorilla
Oct 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
nice one Starlight :thumbsup:

vava
Oct 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Not sure if it counts, but it does for me .... My mum has just gone vegan!

Yes, really. My mum - the lifetime carnivore and from a meat-and-two-veg family.

Now that was unexpected!

So this is how it happened ....

I was chatting with her over MSN on the weekend and she was worried about her cholesterol etc and bad side effects she's getting from the statins the doctor has given her. She was talking about going back to the doctors to get more / different drugs.

So i said ... hey, I've got a better idea ... how about cutting out the animal products in your diet. I spent 10 minutes running through some of the basics of why this would help (e.g. no cholesterol in plants) and tackled some of the basic myths head on (e.g. doctors don't know best, white meat and fish is bad too etc) and thought nothing more of it.

This evening on MSN she says she's trying it and has been vegan since Sunday.

woohoo!

lol

Sorry for the exuberance, but I needed to share. I'm happy she may be on the road to better health and lots of animals will be saved too.

Definately my favourite unexpected effect so far.

don't want to burst your bubble but decreasing food intake of cholesterol may not do any good as the body produces its own...... good that your mum is vegan tho!:thumbsup:

starlight
Oct 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
don't want to burst your bubble but decreasing food intake of cholesterol may not do any good as the body produces its own......

Hmm not sure I agree, vava, having read "The China Study" recently ...

... it seems to say that people on a plant based wholefood diet have much lower systemic cholesterol than carnivores. This reduction is not based on lower dietary cholesterol intake, but on reduced animal protein and animal fat intake.

People who think that dietary cholesterol intake is the key typically recommend avoiding red meat but continue to eat white meat/fish instead. However the evidence seems to suggest this doesn't bring the benefits.

Hence I suggested cutting out all animal products including white meat, fish and milk etc. i.e. a wholefood vegan diet.

I agree the body produces its own cholesterol. Lots of people seem to produce too much for their own good, in part caused by "western" diet.

I hope I understood all that right - I was pretty convinced. lol

...... good that your mum is vegan tho!:thumbsup:

Indeed! I hope it lasts ... I'll keep working on her ;)

jomo
Oct 9th, 2008, 03:38 AM
wow, starlight, that sure is cool !

I'd really by interested in an update after a few weeks, see if her cholesterol levels go down.

Man, if my mom went vegan, that would be something.

as for me, hmmm it hasn't been all that long, and I do lots of other unhealthy things, but that "dairy" feeling is gone, i guess that's part of having more energy, but I do feel that this "stickiness" is somehow gone from my body

Prawnil
Nov 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Loving the pigeons. And the swans even when they're rowdy.

tahcha
Nov 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Right On Starlight - tell your mom how happy we all are to hear of her choice!

And what a wonderful influence her daughter has become - hooray for you both!

:)