PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BJJNick
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
need less sleep
have stronger nails
have much better fitness levels without even trying (used to not be able to get out of bed after kickboxing, now I barely notice it)
dont feel 'heavy'. I used to do day fasts to make myself feel 'lighter' now I have that feeling pretty much all the time.
get a warm smug glow every time I buy soy milk at the super market (bad I know but true! I've started judging other people's baskets!)

one unpleasant side effect is feeling very at odds with the majority of the world, and everyone I know, I just don't get why they can't see it the way I see it and thats a little depressing.

I always judge other people's baskets. I love being smug. It's funny.

And I agree with Bradders. I'm rarely sick, and when I am it lasts for maybe 2 days. Awesome.

Elahiya
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I always judge other people's baskets. I love being smug. It's funny.

HAHA, LOL!!! me, too!!!! an i always see the same shitty stuff, like sausages, sandwiches with meat or fish, crisps, jellies.... rarely fresh fruit or vegs. oh, maybe an apple.

pavotrouge
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I only feel smug when it's obvious they shop for themselves. I want to slap people that only buy rubbish for their kids.

BJJNick
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I think I feel disgusted more than smug.

buttons
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I only feel smug when it's obvious they shop for themselves. I want to slap people that only buy rubbish for their kids. I hate it how some people load their kids up with sugar, bad fat and preservatives, then expect their school to take care of all of the consequences of their kids' shitty diet, e.g. needing even more sport time at school* (can't have 'em reading, can we?), hyperactivity, fluctuating blood sugar levels, etc.
/curmudgeonly rant

*I'm not against sport, but in my school years (90's to early 00's) we did some every day anyway, plus devoted PE time. Now they've increased that to deal with the results of (IMHO, what is largely) parents' choices, theoretically cutting into academic time.

bradders
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
the school day should be longer, say 8 hours rather than 5-7 and should include an hour of PE but without the compulsory specificsport element that often happens at break times (we were made to play football (gaelic), soccer or basketball during our lunch period at primary). Nothing wrong with p.e. just don't make kids play competitive sports they don't want to play. There should be more swimming in school too. Should be about a well rounded education, not just the academc but also the physical and practical too.

buttons
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I didn't intend to come across as anti-PE (although I would have liked to have been able to swap volleyball netball for some other sport at the time!), I was just questioning the approach the assorted authorities here in Oz have chosen in response to the obesity issue/crisis/pandemic.

buttons
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Not exactly unexpected but my already small consumption of cakes and bakery goodies has reduced dramatically. Hasn't helped with the insomnia, though (it's 5:18am here!).

Topcat
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I lost weight when i first became vegan, have stayed at that weight since. The bonus for me tho was my stomach problems stopped , the bloating, swelling and pain all went away, suffered from this problem since i was a child, wish i had know it was dairy causing the problem.

Verencemos
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've only been vegan 6 months, but I feel like I've had a revelation, a really intense spiritual feeling without the drugs or the religion. I think the revelation was about realising the awful things that happen and realising I could do something however small about it, that what I put in my mouth, wore on my skin makes a difference
On the trivial side, definitely an improvement in all odours of the body and its wastes, and fab poo (if poo can be fab)
Stronger nails.
Yellower teeth (not good)
Less PMT
I like animals I thought I didn't eg slugs, spiders. Slugs are really beautiful. Still wish they didn't eat my veggies, but I don't kill them anymore.
Used to have to ram food into my mouth because it disgusted me and I just wanted to get it over with - not necessary any more
My husband and son are eating much more healthily. My husband is going veggie (hope he keeps it up) which means my son is too
My mind and body work better - after years of mood disorder and medication, I think my mood is more stable (early days though), my weight is stable (though still very fat), my memory and logic are improved I think. I still got a cold over Christmas, but I was much less ill, and was only one of two colleagues (out of 10) to not need sick leave. Not sure I can attribute it to diet - the other smug one seems to live on a diet of tinned meat and fish!
Have a sense of being part of a really important movement, small now, but growing.
And a similar sense of evolving personally, that I haven't reached the end of my adventure, there is more change to come.

Verencemos
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
and on the cholesterol front
before I went vegan on animal grounds, I changed my diet on health grounds - I had gall stones made of cholesterol and high serum cholesterol (5.9 in british units). I started eating porridge with soya milk every day, but I still ate cheese, the odd egg and butter (vegetarian for 25+ years, so not meat/fish). My cholesterol dropped to 3.5, just with that change, no medication. Cant remember the rest in detail, but my HDL/LDL ratio is now really good. I think both oats and soya protein have beneficial effects on cholesterol - might be worth mentioning to your Mum, though my anecdote is hardly science.

TheAlterEgo
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Ever since I became vegan (about 3 or so years ago) I have noticed that my eczema has really died down. I also seem to recover from colds/flus faster, with exceptions to the one I'm currently battling which is hanging on for dear life because I'm so stressed at the moment. I told my doctor about my eczema calming down when he decided to give me a drill about my diet. He seemed rather interested and pleased at my declaration, which was nice 'cause they usually have something annoying to say like 'you need meat' &c. :)

Adelina
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The only one unexpected effect of my veganism was that I made one of my best friends vegan, too. First when I told him that I am a vegan he said "Had you visited your doctor?" and "You are crazy. If you are not you will become", but later he changed his oppinion. Before 3 months he switched to the vegan diet, too. He said that I had "inspired" and "made him a complete personality" in some way. I hope that change will not be temporary.

Sarabi
Jan 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I eat less junk food - that's for sure! I don't eat much fried food at all anymore. It just doesn't go well with salad, cereal, bagels, fruit, milk. I used to be a major junk food junkie. Got it from my dad, who died of a heart attack, which I have always assumed to be because he ate so much junk food and never exercised for years. He had heart disease for years without knowing it. And when he died I moved in with my mom, who had an unhealthy need for people to like her food. Since we didn't like her healthy food, she increasingly bought us junk food over the years, and she's the kind of person to say: "Eat, eat, eat! There are doughnuts on the table! I bought you 24 bags of chips! Cooking fried rice tonight! Look at this ice cream over here!!!!!! Do you want Taco Bell or Jack In the Box tomorrow night??????" When I went home over the summer, I wanted to kill myself. I can't imagine going back there. She'd never figure out what veganism is. ANYWAY, back on topic... I don't eat donuts anymore, THANK GOD. I very rarely find vegan cookies, brownies, cakes, etc... there's never vegan ice cream lying around. Being off eggs means less cholesterol, which I guess makes me feel better because I feel like shit if I ate something with eggs in it. I only occasionally eat small amounts of French fries or tater tots or hashbrowns (When other things are unavailable). And no more CHEESE and BUTTER, which ain't good. Jelly, nut butters, and vegetable spreads are things I have really learned to love and are better.

I'm more aware of what I eat now. I like veggies more now. I eat slightly more fruit than before. I've expanded my palate. I've learned about Fair Trade, local, organic, etc. food. Eating meditation is easier than it would otherwise. It's given me something to fight for... I was interested in issues like sexuality/gender, race, etc... but other than nonviolence and Buddhism, there's nothing that moved me deeply enough to really speak out the way veganism does.

VegasBean
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
My favourite affect has been, not the weight loss but the general feeling of being a vegan. Knowing that I'm contributing to a healthier lifestyle is probably the best thing I've done in a while.

jomo
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM
My favourite affect has been, not the weight loss but the general feeling of being a vegan. Knowing that I'm contributing to a healthier lifestyle is probably the best thing I've done in a while.

I agree. The feeling of complete satisfaction with a meal, and knowing that it has come to me without the need to kill animals or contributing to dairy farms makes me feel even happier.

I mess up, have an omni meal from time to time, especially traveling or when going out sometimes it happens that there just isn't a vegan option, or perhaps I am a guest and the host has clearly gone out of their way and I just can't refuse...

I never feel guilty if i slip up, because it's more about the big picture. And if I do consume meat or dairy, by accident or choice, I never feel ill health effects. I reason that it's so infrequent now, that my body is in fact better able to deal with it. So I see the mishaps as a gift. a detour. So I just go with it, knowing that I can always come "home"

That's the thing, the important thing; the vegan diet feels like home.

For me it is very important to eat with other people. Being vegan can cut one off from being social, from going out with friends. That was an effect that I didn't like. And I didn't want to lose those friends. After all, they are my friends, vegan or not.

My strategy for eating with friends is to invite them over and cook meals that blow their minds, but are vegan, and they like it. Then it's just a matter of having a good bank of restaurants that have decent vegan options....

Firefly
Jan 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Becoming more confident and outspoken about what I believe in, and refusing to let others belittle or make me feel stupid about my beliefs and opinions.

Becoming more aware of political, environmental and humanitarian issues, and more compassionate to both people and non-human animals.

Being able to hug my dog and say that I love animals without feeling like a hypocrite. I feel like I have more integrity for putting my values into practice.

Mostly, I feel more at peace with the world, and with who I am, knowing that no animal had to suffer and die for me to get through the day

salatheel
Jan 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I have lost 20lbs in a month and my energy is through the roof. My mental outlook is so much better as well. Calmer,more peaceful,more focused,more tranquil mentally. And free from guilt when I eat.

Vegan_Steven
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Mental clarity. I Attribute it to the absence of commercial hormones in my diet.

shiny2008
Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I gained 10 pounds! but it's pretty good for me, and glad friends suppoting me and some of then really quit meat for awhile...

vegetarian_cat
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that I can't lock the button on my jeans anymore!
I'm underweight so I could really do with the extra flesh on my bones.

I was worried i'd lose weight, like everyone was experiencing it seemed, but
it seems that eating all the yummy home.made vegan quick breads and cakes
and all sort of nice stuff is helping me gain weight.

My skin has a beautiful glow sometimes too.

Oh, i stopped getting bitten by mosquitos here when i turned vegetarian 12 years ago, but some maggots still get me!!

:)

Ross-P
Jan 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I can eat loads of food now and never feel hungry ( as an omni I felt hungry all the time ).

My weight is dropping as well !

And my abs are starting to come through again ! ( I haven't seen those in a while ! )

I have increased spirituality and sense of calm.

So all in all I feel great ! :D

squigaletta
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have increased spirituality and sense of calm.

So all in all I feel great ! :D

beware: 'zinc deficiency can cause a 'spacey' feeling that some vegetarians may mistake for the 'high' of spiritual enlightenment' :D :D

(I don't believe this, it's just one of my fave ever quotes from an anti veg*n article that was posted somewhere on this board)

Cherry.Chops
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
my digestion is SUPER speedy

starlight
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
The chef at work now puts a vegan option on the menu several times a week. There are four options on the menu, so about a quater of the company are eating vegan without even knowing it.