PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

vegetarian_cat
May 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
6) I enjoy the taste of food. Even veggies that I did not like before have wonderful flavor to me now.

SOO true for me too.

Congrats Lorikan!

DavidT
May 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
6) I enjoy the taste of food. Even veggies that I did not like before have wonderful flavor to me now.

SOO true for me too.

Congrats Lorikan!

Agreed, all of it.

bringsMore
May 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Now I can describe myself with one word: vegan.

baby_vicuña
May 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
^ Shortest autobiography ever. I love it ;)

Tatiana
May 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I've only been vegan for a short while, but I've seen improvement already in several ways. I've lost weight, my skin is softer, I feel so much healthier and better and have less inflammation. I'm not eating processed foods either so no white rice or sugar or white flour products. My taste buds have become so much more sensitive and food tastes much better to me now. My food is so delicious! I eat and it doesn't hurt inside like it used to do. I used to have acid reflux and just a lot of abdominal pain all the time. Now it's all better. I have more energy and feel better over all.

I can't believe I didn't know how healthy for you this diet is. Why is the world trying to keep it a secret? I had heard it was bad for you, etc. Not until I read The China Study did I find out that so many scientific studies agree it's the healthiest diet. It also fits with my love of animals and wish not to harm them. I'm never going back.

puca
May 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I think my mental health has improved, though it may not be cause and effect, just down to other things... I am most certainly less aggressive and angry and feel more emotionally sensitive.

It changed my relationship with the living world around me, it made me think a lot more about cause and effect. I see my relationships with non human animal more as equals, or sometimes even friends and not as me being a mistress, or superior species over the rest of nature.

Tigerlily
May 15th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I've noticed that when I'm sick with the cold, my coughs aren't phlegm-y and I'm not hacking things up like a lot of people who are sick with chest colds do. I heard that dairy increases mucous, so I was wondering if my lack of dairy was causing not a lot of mucous. The year before last, I had bronchitis but the doctor was amazed how little phlegm I had. I was healthy within 2 weeks too. :D I'm also just getting over the flu. I felt symtoms on Monday (the 14th) and now the only thing left is a sniffley nose. :) Yay!

baby_vicuña
May 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM
^ I've noticed the same thing. I love not having a runny nose :)

brianjstafford
May 16th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I've had burning pain in both of my shoulders for about a year (one of the reasons I quit smoking and dove head first into the vegan thing). They would always hurt during the day and would be excruciatingly painful at night. Well, I haven't been vegan a while month yet and my shoulders hardly hurt at all during the day and they hurt drastically less at night so far. Woo Hoo! I can sleep!

bradders
May 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
good for you

twist
May 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'd have to say I've experienced the usual; better skin, feel lighter, eyes look whiter than before, hair is in great condition, and for some reason when I became vegan it was the first time I ever really noticed Autumn and Spring. Before then the years seemed to be divided by Winter/Summer, but now I really can see the seasons in between....if that makes sense!

baby_vicuña
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM
^ That's pretty interesting about the seasons. I never really thought about it but that's pretty awesome. I guess I have grown to hate the sun a little less than prior to my vegan days... :)

twist
May 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I was a sun loather too lol-^^^ used to do all I could to stay out of it (including considering moving to Finland!)- feels better now that I'm more in tune with stuff now tho....hope that doesnt sound too hippyish..

baby_vicuña
May 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
^ No I get you. I still am a "sun loather" (lovely term, I'm stealing it :p), but I appreciate the sun a lot more now. For Earth Day, I spent the day outside trying to improve my strained relationship with the sun. (Shit, now THAT sounds hippyish...But hey, few hours outside with no sunscreen and I didn't get burned at all. Maybe I'm on to something...hmm...) :D

twist
May 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
^You phrase thief! ;)
I've found the same about no need to use sun block- I don't sit in the sun all day long (in fact last summer I tried to get everywhere by underground train....probably worse for me but atleast I was in the shade!)- but when I'm out there for a couple of hours I don't overheat or get flustered like I did when I was a meat eater- also found that I have no need for deodrant- another strange side affect....veganism is more money saving than I thought!

baby_vicuña
May 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
^ Guilty :o
And I totally agree with the saving money bit. I switched to crystal deodorant (which lasts a long time) and I'm doing the no 'poo, soap, toothpaste, etc thing. Save time and money and I feel (and smell) great :D

jimmeh
May 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
I was a sun loather too lol-^^^ used to do all I could to stay out of it (including considering moving to Finland!)- feels better now that I'm more in tune with stuff now tho....hope that doesnt sound too hippyish..

wow that is EXACTLY how I felt. Even to the point of moving to Finland.....!

baby_vicuña
May 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
^ So I'm guessing the sun doesn't shine in Finland then? (not trying to be cute or anything. I don't get out much)

twist
May 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM
^ yea they don't get as many daylight hours as a lot of the world (I think).
Am impressed Jimmeh that you actually took the initiative to move!
Whats it like out there?

buttons
May 28th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I've noticed that when I'm sick with the cold, my coughs aren't phlegm-y and I'm not hacking things up like a lot of people who are sick with chest colds do. I heard that dairy increases mucous, so I was wondering if my lack of dairy was causing not a lot of mucous. The year before last, I had bronchitis but the doctor was amazed how little phlegm I had. I was healthy within 2 weeks too. I'm also just getting over the flu. I felt symtoms on Monday (the 14th) and now the only thing left is a sniffley nose. :) Yay!

Actually, "Sensations associated with increased mucus production are not specific to cow’s milk, but are more likely due to physical characteristics of some beverages." Also, "individuals who believe in the mucus and milk theory report more respiratory symptoms after drinking milk."

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/suppl_6/547S

I remember reading about the Australian study they refer to in the piece I linked to - it involved researcher measuring the amount of mucous coming out of peoples noses, as if it were water!:eek:

I do take less time to recover from colds than I used to, but I can't say that my level of mucous secretion has dropped significantly - I'm sick right now, tissues in hand! I do think that is important to 'dispel misinformation,' as it were. It is important to extoll the health-related virtues of an animal-free diet based of scientific fact, if we are going to try to get more people to join our ranks.

begbie
May 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Lots of weight loss, gone from a size 16 to a 12.
Had a 'tired spell' after first couple of months being vegan, but that has gone and I have loads of energy.
Clearer skin and softer hair.

Dr. Pink
Jun 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Weight Loss for me too. Went from wearing Extra Large Shirts to Small/Medium shirts( Small being the smallest I can wear ). And now I look a little bit sexier( A good 25 percent sexier, not much, but still something..XD ).

Got a better sense of Fashion, more self-confidence and care more about my physical appearance.

Chiaroscuro
Aug 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've been vegan for about three months now and I've noticed the following unexpected improvements:

1 - Almost NO PMT! The first month I thought it must be a fluke, but then when my period sneaked up on me the second month running I was stoked. I used to be angry, weepy, miserable the week before my period and that was virtually all gone. So somehow this new way of eating must be balancing out my hormones.
2 - My digestion is better. I don't get that icky heavy feeling after a meal anymore.
3 - I need less sleep
4 - I have more energy and feel healthier and less sluggish
5 - I feel more at peace with my place in the world and feel happier and less moody in general
6 - I have become more creative in the kitchen and more aware of healthful eating in general.
7 - I haven't had a single cold this winter. Even my daughter, who eats vegetarian at home rather than vegan, is very healthy. Her school is full of kids with colds and flu and she hasn't caught anything.
8 - My tastebuds have changed. I can taste more subtle flavours now, although that may be due to eating more healthily in general, rather than a consequence of being vegan.

lunabeam
Aug 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've been vegan for a little under 3 months, and eating really healthfully. I have hereditary high cholesterol, and after a blood test on April 26th, my doctor prescribed Zocor. I did some research and decided to become vegan. I didn't take one pill. In less than 3 months, my cholesterol went from 265 to 205 (I had another test this week), LDL went from 190 to 133, HDL 65 to 48 ( would like that higher, but the ratio is much better) fasting glucose from 105 to 82!!!

I am so happy, besides feeling many of the things listed by all of you, the numbers really made an impact on my family, and hopefully they will get on board.

Plus, having always been an animal lover, I no longer feel like a hypocrite.

joseeg
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
my taste buds came to life. and then i became a food snob. a vegan food snob.