View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

joseeg
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
ps check out my blog :)
http://veganetc.blogspot.com/

steroidicalkiwi
Aug 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
losing like 40 lbs. and feeling great pretty much all of the time!

DiaShel
Aug 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
^ That's awesome! :thumbsup:

pavotrouge
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
ps check out my blog :)
http://veganetc.blogspot.com/

subscribed to you blog an am looking forward for more to come!

Sarabi
Aug 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
Unexpected effect of veganism: I have found a very nice forum community to hang out with! Y'all rock! :) This is definitely my favorite forum, and it's a nice feeling to be truly in harmony with an entire community.

DiaShel
Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
^ Good one! Besides the fact that I can live my life with a clear conscious, being a part of this community is my favorite benefit of being vegan. I just wish you could all be my "real life" friends. :D

Sarabi
Aug 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
^ Good one! Besides the fact that I can live my life with a clear conscious, being a part of this community is my favorite benefit of being vegan. I just wish you could all be my "real life" friends. :D
Aww!! Me, too. That would be lovely. :D

bigbrown
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I'm feeling so great these days, and I'm completely new to the whole vegetarian/ vegan thing. I love it, and never had i been so unaware of what was going on around me, food wise. I've lost over 40 lbs, and 4 inches off my waist, and I've never felt greater in my life. The army had me at my smallest, but of course I was 18, duh. After going vegetarian almost a year now, and vegan 5 months ago, I feel fabulous. No more headaches, no more nexium, no more just feeling generally bad. I ate some fries one time at Whataburger, just for what I thought was a "treat," and I felt so bad afterwards, and the next day. I'm vegan forever now.

joseeg
Aug 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
thx :) new recipe posted....and comment forum is open now....not sure why but it was closed before. http://veganetc.blogspot.com/

vegcurry
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
The ability to levitate, walk through walls, read minds and a greater love of this beautiful, fragile and wonderous planet.

* only the last bit is true ... so far. :lol:

Tiffany
Aug 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM
Well, for one thing... I find it fabulous that I can eat rather whatever I like, whenever I like, and not experience any weight gain whatsoever! I just seem to stay at my current size, regardless of how much I consume... In fact, I find that when I reduce my caloric intake even just a little bit my weight seems to plummet, which is not a good thing as I'm already quite skinny after having been veg for a couple years now.

Also, I love the effects it has on my capacity for meditation! My thoughts are more clear, my mind less cluttered, my conscience so much more liberated and at peace. Its wonderful.

Kind of OT, so I apologize, but I am looking to incorporate 1-2 raw vegan meals each day, but I wish to do so without excessive weight loss... any tips?

Thanks!

Tiff

snaffler
Aug 31st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I get to avoid all the disgusting junk food people bring into work and share. They force other people to have some by keeping on, but as they know I am very strict and vegan they bring me some nice fruit or something which is far better than biscuits, cakes and donuts in my view. I would not say no if the odd slice of vegan cake passed by but it never does so I am always well chuffed to get some nice grapes.

Chiaroscuro
Sep 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I've noticed something else - my shape is changing. I haven't actually lost or gained weight because due to lucky genetics I've always been close to an ideal weight naturally. However I always had a bit of a bloated fat stomach which I really hated. But since going vegan it has gradually flattened. It is still not perfectly flat but it is much flatter than it was. It is weird, but I'm not complaining!

pat sommer
Sep 21st, 2009, 03:04 AM
hee hee, Chiaroscuro, you have eliminated your belly quite literally.

A meal based on Avocado or nuts, Tiffany, won't starve you. Oh, how about an avocado almondmilk smoothie?

Panzer
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
an unexpected benefit of becomeing vegan for me was the connection I began feeling with all living creatures no matter the species. I even felt a lack of hatred for those in the human species that I hated before. It is just an undescribable all around feeling of peace, Im sure you all know that peace that I am talking about.

tombenarye1234
Oct 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
i had Psoriasis all my life and when i turned vegan it was gone.:rolleyes:

Daffodil
Oct 8th, 2009, 01:51 PM
almost everything I eat now can be shared with the hamster as an occasional treat (because of eating way more fruit).

I often find that funny that most people have the cat or dog sniffing round them when they eat, I get my [house] bunny sniffing round me sometimes for my raw carrots/salads etc

Daffodil
Oct 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've noticed that, too.. insects don't bite me as often.

Ah that makes sense..... When I was younger I was always the one getting eaten alive by insects (I was Omni then) now I can't remember the last time I had a bite - that's prob why then :D

FatPassionFishPoet
Oct 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Mm, for me there's lots of unexpected gains!

Firstly the weight loss that I've had, which is pretty fab if I do say so myself! Last time I went vegan I didn't actually lose any weight, so losing a load this time was a nice shock!

Then there's having the moral highground over everyone I know...

I generally feel (and look) healthier, and happier, perhaps even more energetic, though I get less sleep, it would seem!

I'm far more open to trying new foods! (Vegan ones, of course!) I've found newfound love for a lot of things, and a new obsession with fruit! I now most definitely get my five a day - and more! Plus I drink a lot more water now, and love it!

Also, if I'm honest, I have a new respect for all animals. Obviously, I adored them before I came vegan (they are, after all, the reason for my change of lifestyle!!) but now it's like I have an even more intense love for them!

baby_vicuña
Oct 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
^ I completely get what you mean on that last one about animals. I've been vegan for a few months now and I feel the same thing happening to me. I love breaking down the barriers of speciesism :)

KariBerry
Oct 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
I use to suffer from really bad anxiety attacks at least 3 times a month and those have completly disappeared. I've been Vegan for 7 months now and haven't had once since.

baby_vicuña
Oct 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
^ Yeah it's amazing how the food we eat can affect our emotions and all that.

KariBerry
Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
^ Yeah it's amazing how the food we eat can affect our emotions and all that.

Yeah it really is... we studied it in my abnormal psyc class and it's insane how much what you eat alters your chemical balances.

baby_vicuña
Oct 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah it really is... we studied it in my abnormal psyc class and it's insane how much what you eat alters your chemical balances.

A lot of people don't realize it. Like, I totally believe that mental disorders are very real and debilitating (I've been undergoing treatment for mental disorders for the past two years), but I also believe that the modern epidemic of mental issues is related to the modern epidemic of processed foods...just an opinion though.

(Arg totally off-topic...hehe...)

KariBerry
Oct 22nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
A lot of people don't realize it. Like, I totally believe that mental disorders are very real and debilitating (I've been undergoing treatment for mental disorders for the past two years), but I also believe that the modern epidemic of mental issues is related to the modern epidemic of processed foods...just an opinion though.

(Arg totally off-topic...hehe...)

Yeah this is off-topic lol but if you saw Supersize Me he started going through bad episodes of depression towards the end of his McDonalds binge.