PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Shivles
Dec 8th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Curing of anorexia. made_of_sequins I totally hear ya on the ED front! I always used to feel guilty after I ate but now, nothing because I know everything Im putting in me is good stuff. I really think that having to stop being vegan the first time I tried at 15 triggered my eating disorder...I knew what was in stuff, where it was from etc and my label reading obsession got steadily worse.

Also a warm fuzzy feeling Im doing the world some good :) x

vintagenarcissa
Dec 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
My mood has improved.

My energy is up.

I'm satisfied on less food.

My sleeping patterns seem to have normalized.

My skin has cleared up almost overnight.

I'll feel tired and be able to nap for about 20-30 mins and be refreshed. Or even just lie down and relax and I'm not tired anymore. Before, I'd be passed out for hours.

Wayfare
Dec 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
One frightening side effect I found is that food became incredibly tasty. I had no idea that a meal could contain so much flavor. :)

VeganLu
Jan 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Meeting other vegans, and all of them are the nicest people I ever met - this coming from someone who loves animals much more than people! Also, a more peaceful mind. Not a day goes by that I feel lucky that I stumbled upon something 13 years ago which turned me vegetarian overnight, and a few months later, a complete vegan.

VeganLu
Jan 14th, 2010, 04:42 PM
This is in addition to my first reply.

I also was amazed at how easy it was to do, and how good it makes me feel. I became vegan when I found out the missing part of how animals are put on our plates. I always just thought of the slaughter, but I feel very lucky that I found out the rest of the story. It was only common sense that I had to stop eating and wearing animal products.

erynne936
Jan 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM
^ welcome! that's great!

cleaning out the food collector in the sink isn't disgusting anymore! :rolleyes: it used to make me gag :hmm:

haha i totally agree with this! i was a vegetarian for years and well, it's really nice now that there's not CHEESE stuck on everything! *gag!*

alexacoustix
Jan 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
people said my eyes looked brighter :)
and really unexpectantly- my brother, (who doesnt agree with veganism at all and mostly eats only meat and carbs) said he is proud of me being vegan...as he sees me resist cheesecake on a regular basis... warmed my heart.

Tishy
Jan 16th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Since going vegan, the most unexpected thing that has occured, is my complete change of view of everything! I question everything now, especially anything pumped out by the government. For example, the Australian government is doing all this anti-drug campaigning, I researched it a little bit and more people die from alcohol the any other drug! And still more people die from prescription drugs then illegal drugs! (Not saying yay-drugs, more of a why are these facts hidden in their findings). And "apparently" you can tear your throat open from vomiting when drunk! Things like, the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet (says you should eat beef, with a side of beef, and dessert beef which will go nicely with your beefshake) research is partly funded by Meat and Livestock Australia!:mad:

Anyway, that gets back to veganism because it taught me to question. I believed milk was good, healthy and for humans. It wasn't! I believed animals didn't mind dying for our consumption. They don't!

I can now take on the world!

I really didn't expect all of this from a change in eating habit. :D

Woo, vegan!

buttons
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Things like, the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet (says you should eat beef, with a side of beef, and dessert beef which will go nicely with your beefshake) research is partly funded by Meat and Livestock Australia!:mad:

The CSIRO later came out with a pro-vegematarian stance in their Home Energy Saving Handbook. Big Meat was not happy! (http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/news/general/csiro-books-vegetarian-advice-enrages-mp/1634414.aspx)

Soy farmers are farmers too, damn it!:D

Tishy
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I've heard about the new CSIRO book, and I do own their garden/vegetable book, but still displeasure proceeded when I found out about who funded the research!

VeganLu
Jan 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
There is a book here in America called "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About". It will astound you how the food industry, the pharmaceutical industry and the government all have their hands into each other's pockets. I am sure it is the same in Australia as well.

Tishy
Jan 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Pretty sure it would be, just maybe not as much! Sometimes I feel we mimic the US in every decision The Australian government snuggles itself right up to the USA, and as soon as the US loses power, you'll see it in bed with someone else! Damn suck up country! *shakes fist*

buttons
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Something we don't have in common with the US is that if you charge more for a drug, it must be more effective than the cheaper version. Oh, and that you can't explicitly advertise a prescription drug on TV ("there's a new heart medication out now, ask your doctor" is pretty much is all they can say). But other than that, it's pretty depressing!

/derail

VeganLu
Jan 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Buttons:

You are lucky! Here in the U.S., almost every other commercial is about prescription drugs. From a book I read, most of the prescription drugs are pushed by the money-making pharmaceutical industry (and are in cohoots with the food industry and the government), and all of the drugs have pretty substantial side effects. For the most part, the drugs here in the U.S. don't cure the illness, they just mask the symptoms, and then after long-term use of that drug, you get another illness from that very same drug. Most drugs are very hard on the liver. My advice (not worth much ha ha) is be careful about wanting those drugs that we have here in the U.S. The U.S. is no better than the other countries. Never was, and never will be. The U.S. just makes everybody think it is the best country. Anyway, I have gone the homeopathic path to trying to keep healthy. And, of course, trying to eat healthy and exercise everyday.

P.S. I did not mean to put the "thumbs up" icon on the top. Anyone know how I can remove it. It was meant to be put after the last word in the above paragraph.

Prawnil
Jan 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The U.S. just makes everybody think it is the best country.
Not quite

Anyway, if you click Edit, then 'Go Advanced' you can change your little icon.

Radharani
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:31 PM
My time of the month became much more bearable, lighter and less painful and about two days shorter.

My skin cleared up a lot. I still get blackheads on my nose but not so many.

I also sweat a lot less and hardly ever get BO.

RainInStarlight
Jan 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM
My time of the month became much more bearable, lighter and less painful and about two days shorter.

Yeah. Mine too. I used to get debilitatingly bad cramps before...but now I don't. And it's lighter.

That was a big plus for me!:thumbsup:

DiaShel
Jan 21st, 2010, 12:34 PM
^ :amazed_ani: I haven't seen foamy in years!!

ahimsa_vegan
Jan 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
I was amazed at how many different foods I found that I never knew about.. and ended up loving. I never really used to cook, other than whipping together a hamburger helper (eww), or mac and cheese. Now I enjoy putting together a compassionate, healthful meal.

But, I did have one, not so nice side effect - hair loss. In the past 7 months since starting, I've lost about a quarter to almost a third of my hair. :( Hopefully it was just the drastic diet change and will grow back eventually.

Mollfie
Jan 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I feel better about myself, no guilt.

RainInStarlight
Jan 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM
^ :amazed_ani: I haven't seen foamy in years!!

Yeah...I love love love foamy!!! :D

lol, but anyway, one of the great things I've found out about being vegan is that my skin has cleared up (I never used to have really bad skin...but my skin is better now than it was then.)
I also have noticed that since I don't really drink much caffiene/sugar anymore my moods are more stable. I used to be really moody, but hormones (like BC pills and such) affect me really badly. I'm really sensitive to it...so the hormones in the stuff that I used to eat (even when I was vegetarian) used to cause me (and the people around me) a bunch of problems.

Then there is the feeling better about oneself. :thumbsup:

ecovegan
Jan 21st, 2010, 07:41 PM
I didn't expect to become so much more interested in environmental and animal rights issues as I have.

Being vegan has led to me becoming more environmentally concious and more compassionate in my general day to day life.

Roxy I totally agree with you! I have been reading so many books that I would never have thought of before. It's amazing! I will never go back:lol:

Blueberry
Jan 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have only been vegan for a short time but already I have noticed differences -

1. No grey water when I leave the dishes in overnight and I don't have to change the water at all when I'm doing them now!
2. More room in the fridge as I don't have a designated meat shelf.
3. More room in the store cupboards.
4. No worries about cross-contamination in the kitchen. I just ditched my old chopping board this morning and bought a lovely new one, which is wood, and not soaked in meat juices...ewwwww.....
5. My insides are working far more efficiently!
6. No spots!
7. I am happy! Really really happy. My significant other thinks I'm having an affair, but it really is the burden of guilt being lifted from me and I keep telling him that!
8. The bins don't smell.
9. I've saved an animals life somewhere in the world.

pavotrouge
Jan 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I wish the 'like' button was back, blueberry :)

pete_m
Jan 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
As a counter to the original question, here are my least favourite unexpected effects :)

1 - I have forgotten 90% of food prep hygiene rules,
2 - After 6 months, none of my family, friends, colleagues, or acquaintances have reacted to my veganism in a negative way. (I have wasted literally hours reading up on counter-arguments!)
3 - I spend approx 50% longer in the supermarket, reading food labels.

I'm sure I'll think of more :)