PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

ravenfire
Apr 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
When I first started on the vegan thing, my friends little girl told her father I was a "Virgin"....he was quite shocked as I was 42 at the time......

HeHe, this has nothing to do with veganism, just a funny little "kids say the darndest things" story. When my brother was 6 my husband and I moved to Memphis and both got jobs at Joe's Crab Shack. Now, if you know nothing about the restaurant, one of the things that all of the servers do is dance every half hour or so (one whole day of training is learning the different dances they do). So my little brother went to school and told all of his friends and teachers (who had been my teachers as well) that I had moved to Memphis to dance on tables. My mom got a phone call from one of her friends who's son was friends with my brother to ask her if I was stripping lol.

Haniska
Apr 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM
my omni friends say my sweat smells like a horse; I say theirs smells like a dog.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the smell of horses.

fiamma
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I think I've become more assertive. Much better at standing up for myself and what I believe in.

Bluey
Apr 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Definitely more self-assured (I guess meaties might see it as self-righteousness). I believe in myself now and I know myself. Before I hadn't figured out who I was and what I stood for and was very under confident.

monkey60613
May 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
The greatest benefit to me I think was becoming much more conscious about what was going on around me. I started seeing the reality of what is really going on. Most people don't want to take off the blindfold that modern society has put on us. Veganism stripped that away, it let me see just how crazy meat-eating is. Pesticides, GMO's, Preservatives, Hidden Ingredients, all came to the surface for me to take a good look at. It made me distance myself from the crowd {not that I was ever part of it}. A new, fresh, real outlook on life, which was a great unexpected benefit.

YES, YES, YES!!! Also:

Also, I notice how much we use the likeness of animals: on billboards, commercials, etc. We USE the hell out of animals in every way, shape and form.

Even figures of speech. No longer do I say things like "He's such a pig" Those attributes are no longer insults anymore...when I think someone is an asshole calling them a 'pig' is too good for them!

How instictive my cooking is now. I was one of those people who would follow a recipe to a "T". Now, I imporvise with all kinds of new veggies, grains and nuts. I love everything I make.I was meant to live this way all along! :mad: :D

Apple_Blossem
May 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
More likely to protect what I stand for and not allow myself to be walked over. I had canker sores for fifteen years..and they disappeared when I stopped eating meat and cheese.

Dont have to go on those binge diets.

I notice how callus people are towards animals...and understand how they can go to war and kill each other over it. Not a big difference.

feral
May 2nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
when I think someone is an asshole

Hey! My asshole takes offence at that comment. It believes itself to be a vital functioning part of my anatomy and believes that you are being organist in your use of it's name as an insult :mad:

;)

Russ
May 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
"It's political correctness gone mad!"

monkey60613
May 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Hey! My asshole takes offence at that comment. It believes itself to be a vital functioning part of my anatomy and believes that you are being organist in your use of it's name as an insult :mad:

Hey Feral!

Tell your asshole I don't give a shit! I can only take on one cause at a time.

:D

;)

Russ
May 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
I don't remember Feral saying that.

feral
May 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Heh heh heh I don't remember saying it either Russ ;)

Russ
May 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Well,
that'll teach you to throw winks around, near the bottom of the page.

feral
May 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
:o And there was me assuming people could grasp the concept of typing outside the [Quote] box :p

monkey60613
May 2nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
:o And there was me assuming people could grasp the concept of typing outside the [quote] box :p

I'm totally lost! Am I making some forum faux pas? Are we not supposed to swear/cuss or something? Please enlighten me!

feral
May 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
lol don't worry monkey, it's just that you typed inside my quote box (the blue box) on that previous post and Russ picked up on it and was being a cheeky ... well... monkey, it's all Russ's fault ;)

monkey60613
May 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ah ha! I see now. But seriously how do utilize the quote option properly?

Russ
May 2nd, 2006, 11:54 PM
You almost did use it right. It's just that feral placed a winking face really far down on her post so when you typed in response, you were still typing within the quote box, without realising it. It's all feral's fault.

TofuFooYung
May 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
* my allergies aren't even a zillionth of what they once were
* generally become a better person- more aware of saying things that might hurt people's feelings etc (I've been a bit of an unsensitive git in the past!)
* because I never liked the flavour of things like eggs, milk and cream I've now found that the vegan subsitutes totally kick their ass anyway
* appreciate the environment more
* discovered how junk food had been destroying me
* stopped eating vegetarian microwaved meals thinking they were healthy (DUH!)

veganism rules :D

chickendude
May 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hah, one thing that I've noticed recently is how white my teeth have become. I didn't think anything of it until, reading this thread, I heard someone else mention it. Maybe it is my diet after all? I'd just assumed vegan toothpaste had some special whitening ingredient.

And I can't say that I've fully torn myself from microwave dinners, that vegan eggplant parmesian tastes way too amazing! (I tried making my own, but it tasted pretty disgusting).

monkey60613
May 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
OMG! Yes, I thought I was just "seeing" things but I swear my teeth are whiter too. How funny! I started using Tom's of Maine toothpaste. So is it the diet thing then? What was causes yellowing of the teeth?

feral
May 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Perhaps it was the pus in the milk... sorry I couldn't resist :o

Russ
May 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Don't apologise, this is a vegan forum remember :D

Tigerlily
May 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I find my teeth look more yellow now. *shrugs*

Overall, my skin glows but I'm starting to get pimples. I never had pimples before until last month. Weird.

Agatha
May 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
i think my teeth are slightly more yellow too, but that is because of all the black coffee i drink becase the university cafes never have soya milk :( but
I no longer have period pains,
I put weight on (I was a bit underwieght before so thats no bad thing!),
I don't suffer from hayfever as much as I used to
I eat far more exciting things and I am much more creative with food
I have had to learn so much more about nutrition to answer all those questions, like "where do you get protein from?" and "what about B vitamins?" and generally about health
The only thing that really surprises me is that I experience hunger in a different way to when I was vegetarian, i don't have gradual stages of hunger from fullup- peckish- quite hungry- starving I leap straight in at the starving end and it can be without warning. I must eat five times a day! even though i get plenty of carbs and protein to keep me going.

monkey60613
May 10th, 2006, 04:28 AM
']Cleaner Underwear!!! :D:D

Soft Effortless Poop Every Morning And Evening!!! :D:D

Cracks me up!