PDA

View Full Version : Positive (side) effects of going vegan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

snivelingchild
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:33 PM
What are some of your favorite unexpected effects of your veganism?

Mine are dropping 10 pounds in a week, and almost everything I eat now can be shared with the hamster as an occasional treat (because of eating way more fruit).

spudstud
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:15 PM
An unexpected effect of my veganism was my dad went veg too! Just two years ago when I first got interested in Vegetarianism he thought I was crazy. Now, I'm glad he is supporting. He buys a lot of my food...so it helps.
- Matt

snaffler
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:29 PM
My weight become less although it's always been pretty good - my over all outward health was observed by others as looking better...

The funny side was my farts changed up an octive sorry :rolleyes:

boomer
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:40 PM
The best thing is that people swear that I look younger, I have dropped in weight but then I needed to do that. It is nice that the guilt has gone wish I had gone vegan years ago.

Gorilla
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM
i too lost a fair bit of excess weight when first starting out on a vegan diet (having been veggie before). people have commented that i look slimmer and healthier. :)

i didn't expect to be free of cravings for non-vegan (but still veggie) foods so quickly! i don't miss any of those foods i used to like any more, and now they make me feel a bit ill just thinking about them - e.g. milk chocolate, cheese, egg-fried rice, milky coffee. the vegan versions taste much better anyway! i've also developed a taste for healthier foods, as i think has been mentioned in another thread, which i didn't expect.

snivelingchild
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:05 PM
The switch to vegan has also opened my mind and resulted in my cutting caffine, white breads, cane sugar, and reducing salt.

Artichoke47
Sep 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Some days my skin has this healthy glow to it that was never present before, even as a vegetarian. My lips are a prettier color, too. :) My hair is very soft. My body shape, although toned prior, is more beautiful, in my opinion, at least.

Roxy
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I didn't expect to become so much more interested in environmental and animal rights issues as I have.

Being vegan has led to me becoming more environmentally concious and more compassionate in my general day to day life.

grail
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think I might have joined the Royal Order of the Blue Flame...:eek:

Juice
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I think I might have joined the Royal Order of the Blue Flame...:eek:
LOL! never heard that expression before. could ya come over and power my furnace? :p

grail
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Yesterday I had black beans for lunch and white beans for supper. It's amazing my house didn't get accidentally moved every time I flipped a light switch.

Anyway, no, I'm losing a bit of weight and my skin does look better, although I am feeling a little tired.

twinkle
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I realised I didn't really get headaches after going vegan (apart from hangover-induced ones). I never suffered hugely from headaches but I did get them and they've definitely lessened to almost nothing. Bonus! :)

pat sommer
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
my omni friends say my sweat smells like a horse; I say theirs smells like a dog.

crazy_4_veg
Jan 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Something really unexpected is that now my sister is eating a more vegan diet as she is seeing a positive effect on me and wants to see them in herself so she has cut out dairy and eggs and only eats them if hidden. This makes me think that she might actually become vegan one day :eek: .

sugarmouse
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:31 AM
the weightloss, bobillydylan becoming one, gettin better at cooking, being more passionate about animal rights, becomein a little more atone with myself:)

Juice
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I find I recover from workouts much faster. I'm rarely sore the next day. I don't know the physiology behind this, I imagine fighting animal products through an omni's body would take energy away from recovery.

thecatspajamas1
Jan 19th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I've gotten really into natural health and organic foods.

kriz
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:57 AM
- less sleep
- more energy
- no colds or flues
- less muscle soreness after workout
- better exercise performance (could run forever...not really, but...)

I didn't lose any weight at all and I still have some acne (probably hormon related).
Before going vegan, I was a strict veggie for 25 years (no dairy except some cheese), so that's probably why I haven't experienced any weightloss. Oh, well, I got to work out harder and cut my meals in half....It's just SO hard, vegan food taste so GOOD! That's the only drawback.:)

kriz
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:09 AM
The best thing is that people swear that I look younger, I have dropped in weight but then I needed to do that. It is nice that the guilt has gone wish I had gone vegan years ago.

I see that a lot with others turning vegan. Bryan Adams is a good example, he looked older in the eighties. Some become leaner with nicer skin. Good for them. I don't think it's the case with me, though. At least nobody tells me that I do...so I'm not sure.

aubergine
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM
This winter has been my first as a Vegan, and also the first for many years that I haven't had months of painful coughing and flu.

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm happy to say that I haven't dropped 10 pounds, i'm generally very careful with my wallet.

absentmindedfan
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
, i'm generally very careful with my wallet.

Except when it comes to kitchen gadgets eh Mr F?

For me it was:
losing weight,
skin getting even clearer
hayfever almost gone (used to be terrible)
periods better
no colds/illness since going vegan
hardly any headaches
better moods
SAD better
more energy
meeting people at Vegan Festivals!
feel happy that I've got such an amazing lifestyle

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Except when it comes to kitchen gadgets eh Mr F?

I love every single one of my kitchen gadgets I have you know! They are my babies :)

Maybe we should have a "post a picture of your kitchen gadgets" thread? :D

Hemlock
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have stopped snoring since I gave up dairy - John says I used to snore like a hog and I don't now at all.
Also the cat likes to lick my arms but I'm not sure if that's a good thing really, maybe I won't have to take a bath so often:D
The best thing is my arthritis has been in remission for 3 months and I seem to have regained some strength in my thumb joints, my feet and hands were being destroyed at a terrifying rate but they are almost back to normal now :) I daren't go back to being veggie or omni in case it returns!!!

catmogg
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
My nails grow really really long and i can paint them any colour i want!! (they used to snap off real easy)