PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding vegan babies

Pages : [1] 2 3

VeganMata
Oct 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
i didnt know if it's common knowledge or not but did you know that there is no such thing as vegan formula? at least not in america....just one of the many,many,MANY reasons to breastfeed our babies ;)

i was lied to and told soy formula is vegan by a dr..go figure but luckily i did all my research before birth and knew i was gonna breastfeed no matter what.
sorry that was a rant. i just so involved when it comes ot breastfeeding. its the most important thing for a huamn life and it irks me that ppl think they can formula feed and its a choice!! yeah FF if you absoluetly have to (which is 2% of the worlds population) but otehrwise do whats right!!!!

how are the rest of our BFing mamas? how long did you dc nurse for? dd is 12 1/2 months and we plan on letting her self wean like they do everywhere else in the world. darn america for making it seem wrong!

Chocs4me
Oct 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Hi veganmata, I'm a BFing vegan mum too (mines 16mths)- and darn the UK too for making it seem wrong!! :) Also I plan to let him self wean - I think thought the farleys soy formula here was vegan but i could be wrong - i've never used it so i wouldnt know!

VeganMata
Oct 10th, 2006, 10:21 PM
HI THERE!!!!! :D
so the UK is like America then where basically the DR.s and hospitals are in bed with the formula companies and try to make you think formula is good for babies.. ughh that drives me mad!! we actually had 1 major city band formula in hospitals here AND they are working on a bill right now to put a health warning on formula telling moms that not breastfeeding their babies is harmful to thier health :D
its slowly turning back out way :)
you have a 16 months old!! awwwwwwwww!! how sweet!!! does your babe ask to nurse? i hwar of babies doing signs etc to nurse but my DD just makes a face and does a fake cry. such a goof!!!

pat sommer
Oct 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM
My boobs did 2 1/2 years of service. They are merely ornamental now.
I was the one to say enough! Spent a year weaning her off fall-asleep feed, I-have-an-owie feed, I'm-bored-riding-bus feed.... then snuck off for the weekend with neglected partner while she was being spoiled rotten by Grandma. No fuss when I returned.

However, I must agree with the consensus: UK and U.S. suck for BF.
They pretend to support you and have framed mission statements.
When it comes to the crunch (and I was flattened) their answer to weight gain issues -formula-. Answer to my presciption med use -formula-. Answer to breast infection(what's that retchedly painful yeastie beastie?) -formula-.

I got a morning with a La Lech League volunteer which I was grateful for but otherwise It was uphill and unsupported all the way. Of course it was worth it and the-proof-of-the-pudding is the healthiest little mouse I could wish for but DAMN what about the rest of the babies out there?

niallmc
Oct 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
as far as I'm aware Farleys is the only vegan soy formula available on wither side of the atlantic

Chocs4me
Oct 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
My son does ask to nurse but not with words yet - he points at them and goes 'uh uh' - i remember when he was much yonger really looking forward to him being able to ask when he wanted them rather than me havin to guess! He absolutely LOVES them though - always has really - a real boob monster - if he catches sight of them when i'm getting changed or something - thats it, he must have them!! Its all very amusing in our house!

Tigerlily
Oct 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
:( What about mothers who can't produce enough milk or who adopt? They need to use formula....Some people need to use it.

Wanda
Oct 16th, 2006, 02:27 AM
:( What about mothers who can't produce enough milk or who adopt? They need to use formula....Some people need to use it.
I've heard that it's very rare that your body doesn't produce enough milk.
I think most problems are caused when mothers supplement their breastfeeding. That causes less demand and therefore less supply.
Mothers also tend to keep nursing schedules, which doesn't help establish a natural supply.

Even when you adopt it is possible to breastfeed. I know a couple who adopted twins and they did it.
The mother of one of the women happens to be a lactation consultant, so that must have helped. :)

I nursed my kids for 3 years 8 months and 4 years 2 months.
It's been about a year now since the last one was done.
It's nice to have complete ownership of my breasts again.

pat sommer
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
yes, I agree that 'not enough' is more an experience issue. The meds in milk problem I wish would get more attention from the med community (contradictory advice). Adoption or return to work opens some questions...
Does a child always have to feed from its own mother? The hire of wet nurses was summarily banned in China by the communist regime as elitist and exploitive. Is it?

VeganMata
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
ive bee naway for a couple weeks but yes LESS THAT 2% OF THE OWRLDS POPULATION ACTUALLY CAN'T BREASTFEED. thats a very tiny amount and for that very tiny amount i agree they sadly have to use formula.
adopted babies can be breastfed. it takes a commitment to get your body to do it but it can be done. i plan on doing this,actually, in the future. i can post links about it if you like ;)

but yeah i just saw wanda's post...what she said!!

hello everyone btw!! ill be back later to chat with you all!! <3

veganheart
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I couldn't agree more. I'm TTC and plan to BF. I think it benefits the mom as well as the baby. It's the natural way. I wish I was able to stay home with the baby long-term, but I must work. But with all the pumps on the market it shouldn't be a problem.

HappyVegan
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM
There are also breastmilk banks where women who are lactating can go and make deposits. Then anyone who is unable to breastfeed (as in the case of those who don't produce enough or adopt) can go and get breastmilk for their babies.

lou
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
hello there! my first post on this forum...my son is 21 months and he breastfeeds 3-5 times a day. he says "tutte" (means "tit"or "boob" in swedish) when he wants some, and he is generally quite intrigued by my breasts, it's very sweet! i want to breastfeed him until he chooses to stop himself. i would be nice, if we have another baby in the nearish future, to have the two of them breastfeeding toghether!
i'm from sweden and here most mums breastfeed at least for 6 months, it is however rare to do it as long as we are.

lots of love and good luck to all you vegan mums who are just starting breastfeeding, it can take a lot of commitment (it did for me, it was hell the first three months, mastitis, bleeding nipples etc but it is so worth it! i'm happy i persevered.) and it can be a real struggle so don't hesitate to seek advice.

Ms_Derious
Mar 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Question for any mums who have breastfed recently. Could you suggest a good nipple cream that doesn't contain either lanolin or beeswax? Thanks :)

lindseynatay
Mar 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well one of the best and natural ways to protect your nipples is olive oil. If you put it on after every feeding it does very well and it's natural for you and baby. I use it all the time and it's a lot cheaper as well.

khadagan
Mar 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
What is also good for your nipples is just using some of your own breastmilk on your nipples and let it dry in the air. Your breastmilk is good for lots of things, it's very fatty. If your child has a small rash or whatever your own milk can do wonders on there.

Ms_Derious
Mar 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks lovelies :)

VeganZee
Mar 18th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I was going to say the same thing about using your own breast milk. Apparently it is also good for conjunctivitis too :)

Veryblue2
Mar 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I use Earth Mama Angel Baby: Natural Nipple Butter. Every feed for the first six weeks and then tapered down to just occasionally now at 10 1/2 months. No need to wash it off before feeding, which is good. The Booby Tubes in the EMAB: Breastfeeding Support Kit were useful as well.

The EMAB: Angel Baby Lotion smells of chocolate orange! and Angel Baby Bottom Balm works wonders. Alternatively, Natalia Baby Bottom Butter is vegan but a different less oily consistency.

PM me if you need info on any other vegan baby goodies :)

Ms_Derious
Apr 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yet another reason why I'm glad I'm not giving my baby cow formula
http://www.theage.com.au/world/study-connects-sids-risk-with-infant-formula-20110415-1di05.html

I use Earth Mama Angel Baby: Natural Nipple Butter. Every feed for the first six weeks and then tapered down to just occasionally now at 10 1/2 months. No need to wash it off before feeding, which is good. The Booby Tubes in the EMAB: Breastfeeding Support Kit were useful as well.

The EMAB: Angel Baby Lotion smells of chocolate orange! and Angel Baby Bottom Balm works wonders. Alternatively, Natalia Baby Bottom Butter is vegan but a different less oily consistency.

PM me if you need info on any other vegan baby goodies :)

Only just saw this. I will try these as I get v sore still (3 weeks in) but pushing on. It's getting better though.

Gattona
Apr 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Do you think it might be a positioning problem? You mentioned blood before. La Leche and the NCT have very helpful bf counsellors. Ehhhhh, well done you for persevering, those early days aren't easy

khadagan
Apr 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Ms_Derious;680405]Yet another reason why I'm glad I'm not giving my baby cow formula
http://www.theage.com.au/world/study-connects-sids-risk-with-infant-formula-20110415-1di05.html

I really hope they will do more studies on this, I would love to see this with a much bigger sample so proper conclusions can be drawn for everyone.

Ms_Derious
Apr 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Do you think it might be a positioning problem? You mentioned blood before. La Leche and the NCT have very helpful bf counsellors. Ehhhhh, well done you for persevering, those early days aren't easy

Sadly it's mix of having inverted nipples and Alicia having a partial posterior tongue tie. The tounge tie isn't enough to operate on, but does make her latch poor. It will get better when her mouth is a bit bigger though. I'm very committed to breastfeeding, so I'm going to push on at it, but I have to say I'm finding it considerably harder than giving birth was.

I have to say though, I would have had to have given up by now if it wasn't for my local breastfeeding clinic. They are amazing :)

Gattona
Apr 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Wow, your local breastfeeding clinic? Wow again, like, mainstream NHS? I'm seriously impressed, things have possibly moved on here since my early days with bubbas but at my first ever booking appt the trainee midwife taking my details said 'and how will you feed the baby, bottle?' Talk about a negative attitude! The bf rates are abysmal and some midwives of course are better than others but the training isn't very good afaik. Mind you, my daughter plans on midwifery as her future so when she gets started in her training I'll know all about the contempoary position.

You two do sound like you've more challenges than most. Well done both of you

Ms_Derious
Apr 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Yes, we are really lucky. The clinic runs for three hours twice a week, right out of the hospital where I gave birth. Its not very well promoted, but its very well attended, and several of the ladies from my NCT group commented that they would have given up BFing if it wasn't for the clinic's help.