PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare tofu

VeganGuy
Oct 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
First, you will need to purchase a tub of firm tofu. It may be labeled as extra firm or super firm. The main objective here is to buy the firm and not the silken or soft tofu. When you buy tofu that is floating in the little tubs of water, it is somewhat bland with a texture similar to cantaloupe or honeydew melon. It is only after you cook it (bake, deep fry, etc.), that it takes on a chewy texture making it more suitable for some recipes.

A fine example of seasoned textured tofu is the triangle shaped pieces commonly used at chinese restaurants in their stir fries. Those pieces have been marinated and deep fried to take on the texture and flavor they have.

You can buy pre-seasoned textured tofu in many shapes and flavors, however, you have no control over the ingredients, etc.. Also, it is almost impossible to find some of the shapes and flavors in organic. By learning how to prepare your own tofu from the basic block form, you can always buy organic and you can always have the shape and flavor you want.

Deep Fried Tofu

Drain a tub of firm tofu.
Cut into your desired shapes.
Marinate tofu pieces in your preferred marinade.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
Fry tofu in 350 F oil until it turns brown.
Store in covered container (no water) until ready to use.
Your chewy tofu is ready to add to almost any vegan dish now. You can also eat a slice in a sandwich.

You can also bake your tofu, etc. to achieve the desired chewy texture.

Note: I am a raw foodist and I do not consume tofu. I do, however, assist friends and family in preparing it.