PDA

View Full Version : Cranks

Troutina
Oct 10th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I found a sandwich in Waitrose that is vegan- typically houmous, but still!
It's by Cranks, the bread people.
Haven't tried it yet though.

Gorilla
Oct 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
i've seen Cranks sandwiches in Waitrose before - they never seemed to do any vegan ones though. and what is it with houmous - i love the stuff but i agree with Hemlock, can't we have something different for a change?! Asda in Brighton have recently started selling the Bugsy sandwiches.

Jonny Nexus
Oct 11th, 2006, 08:02 AM
i've seen Cranks sandwiches in Waitrose before - they never seemed to do any vegan ones though.

I think that some of them are vegan, but they don't appear to mark anything as vegan - which is a bit disappointing.

Troutina
Oct 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM
They've also covered up the naked bottoms!!

Gorilla
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
the only Cranks sandwiches i've ever seen have been cheese or egg. i have a feeling they used to be a veggie restaurant or something? or am i getting confused?

PygmyGoat
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
They were the ORIGINAL veggie restaurant! :D

Gorilla
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
well for a veggie restaurant they don't seem to know much about vegan food, not on what i've seen so far anyway.

PygmyGoat
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
^ He-He, nothing new there then! :D

harpy
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Actually if I remember correctly the Cranks restaurants did used to be OK for vegans <feels nostalgic>. I believe there is still one restaurant left from their once-mighty empire, in Devon?

Gorilla
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
at risk of going off-topic, i found their website and they do indeed have a restaurant in Devon: Cranks (http://www.cranks.co.uk/dartington.html) the menu doesn't say what they're like for vegan food though.

Troutina
Oct 12th, 2006, 10:09 PM
at risk of going off-topic, i found their website and they do indeed have a restaurant in Devon: Cranks (http://www.cranks.co.uk/dartington.html) the menu doesn't say what they're like for vegan food though.

According to that website they do stock them in Kingston Waitrose?
Hmmm they must have sold out real quick...

Time for an email me thinks!

Mr Flibble
Oct 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
There's been several discussions about this already, including one fairly recently. Their sandwiches have been available at waitrose for years (Canary Wharf for 3 at least). None of the sandwiches or their other products (available nationwide in tesco) have ever been labelled and they have a tendancy to make perfectly easily vegan items not so. Some of their sandwiches look vegan until you get to about ingredient number 50 and find whey in the bread (not the filling!).

raquelle
Oct 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM
The college I work in stocks a couple of Cranks sandwiches. I have only tried one of them so far. It was a white tortilla with houmous, whole chickpeas and salad. I believe the sandwich stated it was vegan :rolleyes:. It was really nice and I would definitely buy it again.

I also bought a vegan sandwich in Asda on Saturday. I haven't had it yet but it is houmous with alfalfa sprouts.

Jamie
Oct 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I noticed some Cranks pasta sauces in Tesco today. I didn't buy any, but they were something like tomato, garlic, ginger and basil, and tomato, red pepper, and basil, or something along those lines. I didn't check to see if they were vegan, but they might have been. But after reading about the sandwiches, maybe they aren't! I don't go to tesco very often.