PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar

Risker
Oct 15th, 2006, 06:30 AM
This is something I'd not thought of until today, how do you know if your vinegar is vegan or not? Quite often red/white wine and cider contain animal products and they are used to make vinegar. Having checked the bottles I have in the cupboard they don't list any ingredients other than if a preservative is added.

Also, does anyone know why they don't have to list ingredients?

twinkle
Oct 15th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I use vinegar that states that it's suitable - Sainsbury's wine vinegar should say on the label that it's vegan-friendly (unless they've changed the recipe), and Aspalls cider and balsamic vinegars were fine last time I checked.

cedarblue
Oct 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
what about the regular malt vinegar?

twinkle
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I don't use it so I haven't really paid much attention, but I have a hazy recollection of seeing malt vinegar marked suitable - it could have been either Sainsbury's or the Co-op as they're the places I'm most likely to have seen it.

Risker
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I hope it's ok, I've just made masses of pickled onions.

twinkle
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Mmmm, pickled onions :slobber:

cedarblue
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Mmmm, pickled onions :slobber:

with sosmix rolls *droools*

RedWellies
Oct 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar#Production) for more info.

It's probably best to only buy labeled ones or contact the individual manufacturers.

Mr Flibble
Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
There's some pretty dodgy info out there on the net, for example:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:XBG4zERuttwJ:www.isitvegan.com/+vinegar+vegan&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Personally I only buy wine/cider/balsamic that is labelled vegan.

I'm never quite sure when a product is labelled vegan and contains wine vinegar as an ingredient whether the company took into consideration how the vinegar was made.

animaladvocate
Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I have a vague recollection of discovering when I first went vegan that most bog-standard vinegar aint vegan but balsamic vinegar and chips are scrumptious so I've not missed it to be honest.