12oz sweet potatoes
1 tbs curry paste
1/2pt passata
1/2pt veg stock
8oz spinach leaves
8oz mushrooms
4tbs peanut butter
2tbs chopped fresh coriander

1. peel and chop onion and gently fry it in the oil with garlic, ginger and cayenne for 10mins.

2. peel sweet pots, cut into cubes. add the curry paste to the onion mixture and cook stirring for 1 min. add potatoes, stir to coat and fry for 3-4mins. add passata and stock, bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 mins till potatoes are almost tender.

3. roughly tear up spinach. heat a little more oil in another pan and stir fry the mushrooms till they start to release their juices. add to the potato mix with the spinach and cook for 5 more mins or till veg is cooked through.

4. mix a few spoonfuls of the stew juices with the peanut butter to soften it slightly then stir back into the potato pan. add the coriander, season and heat through.

we eat this with naan bread and rice.

insubordination
Oct 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM
*Runs to supermarket* I can envisage this becoming a one-a-week thing. Thanks for posting. Will have to look up passata.

fiamma
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
OMG!!!!!!! I made this tonight and it is SO GOOD! Possibly one of the best recipes I've ever tried, ever. Cedar you are a star!!! Thank you so much for posting it.:)

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
what is Passatta? :confused:

rantipole
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:59 PM
what is Passatta? :confused:

Yeah, what she said!

cedarblue
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
you could use tomato juice but passata is sieved tomatoes. and is a bit thicker.
you can buy in in glass jars or in cartons easily in supermarkets, usually near the canned tomatoes or tomator puree etc.

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:31 PM
wow, I've never heard of it. :confused:

cedarblue
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:27 PM
you can always blitz a can of chopped tomatoes in a blender real smooth and you should get the same thing.

Tigerlily
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM
wow, I've never heard of it. :confused:

I think we call it "tomato puree" in North America. The Wikipedia entry on passata makes it seem like it's the same thing.

cedarblue
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM
tomato puree is a lot thicker than passata.

cvC
Dec 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I don't know where in Africa this recipe comes form, but, as a background to it, was interested to read this a while ago:

"Sophie Sirak Kebede, who runs Tobia restaurant above London's Ethiopian community centre, says that Britons will feel at home with Ethiopian cuisine as it shares some similarities with Indian food - although there are also some significant differences.

"We are semi-kosher when it comes to our dietary system and, due to the Ethiopian Coptic church, for three-quarters of the year we are vegan. In the restaurant we offer vegan food only on Wednesdays and Fridays."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1959503,00.html

harpy
Dec 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
"We are semi-kosher when it comes to our dietary system and, due to the Ethiopian Coptic church, for three-quarters of the year we are vegan. In the restaurant we offer vegan food only on Wednesdays and Fridays."

Hmm, interesting. Does he mean "it's only on Wednesdays and Fridays that we offer vegan food" or "on Wednesdays and Fridays we offer nothing but vegan food", I wonder?

Edited to add I've found a kind of answer here: http://www.tobiarestaurant.co.uk/home.htm

cvC
Dec 15th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't personally trust the food to be vegan on any day due to the cross-contamination issue, to be honest with you.

harpy
Dec 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Mind you, that's true of any omnivorous restaurant really I suppose. It might be a step in the right direction if more of them had sort-of-vegan days...

Gorilla
Mar 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM
i found a similar recipe to this in Animal Aid's Meat-Free Month leaflet:

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/booklets/Meat-Free.pdf

Scroll down to the recipes at the bottom for 'West African groundnut stew'. i think i'm going to make this tonight.

cedarblue
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
my recipe will be better!! :p

Gorilla
Mar 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
^ well i don't know about that ;) but the Animal Aid version was really tasty, i had it with basmati rice. i halved the ingredients to make two servings but there was still way too much, it's very filling.

DiaShel
Mar 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I can't wait to make this tomorrow! Sounds like it'd be great with naan but I can't find any vegan! I guess rice will have to do.

DiaShel
Mar 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Think I could use curry powder instead of paste?

mariana
Mar 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wow, this is perfect...I'm so glad I happened to read this! I have a couple of extra sweet potatoes left over from the other night and was wondering what to do with them...now I know just what to do! :) It looks delicious, thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

cedarblue
Mar 5th, 2009, 02:40 PM

i'm not sure the taste or consistency would be the same (if you're referring to my recipe) but you try - no guarantees though :o

Gorilla
Mar 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM

the one i posted doesn't need curry paste so try that one if you're worried about it, i wouldn't think it'd make too much difference though.

mariana
Mar 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
i'm not sure the taste or consistency would be the same (if you're referring to my recipe) but you try - no guarantees though :o
I'm planning to make it with curry powder so I'll post how it goes. :)

mariana
Mar 8th, 2009, 01:29 AM
This was delicious!! :thumbsup: I made a few modifications (I always seem to). I used curry powder instead of paste. I'm not sure how much--maybe 2 tablespoons? I didn't add mushrooms because I don't like them, and I added less stock and passata than it called for (I used just enough to cover the sweet potatoes). I also added extra cayenne, turmeric, paprika, and cumin (I always mess around with spices). Yum! Thanks for posting. This might just be one of my new favorite recipes. :D