PDA

View Full Version : Proud to eat healthy!

Pages : [1] 2 3

herbwormwood
Oct 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I am re-starting the Proud to Eat Healthy thread.
Please post what you have eaten today (or yesterday) if you think you have eaten a healthy, balanced, nutritious vegan diet.

I am not sure today's food qualifies but in the spirit of the thread I will post it and if its not healthy I am sure someone will tell me (that's fine by me).

Breakfast: Bowl of co-op malt crunchies with fortified soya milk, a large pot of leaf tea with fortified soya milk;
10.30 am snack: some thai boy nori strips and 2 brazil nuts
Lunch: a bowl of homemade waldorf salad (apples, celery, walnuts, lemon juice, mayonnaise) and a bowl of wakame kelp and sesame soup
Dinner: Spinach and lentil curry with brown rice
Snack: pot of alpro strawberry yoghurt.
Drinks: lots of tea and water and bambu drink

tofutofu
Oct 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
today

Breakfast: 2 pieces rye bread toast. Both with cashew nut butter

Snacks: Medjool date, dried apricot, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, satsuma

Lunch: 2 Aduki Bean & Oatmeal Burgers & fresh chopped vegetables with avacodo hummous

Snacks: Brazil nuts,Walnuts,Pecans,Cashews,Almonds (about 3 of each), 1 cup banana smoothie

Dinner: Millet salad with kidney beans and pinto beans

Pudding: Homemade Halva!

Snacks: Banana & Soya Milk, More Nuts, Rice Cake with a few aduki beans

Megan89
Oct 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
hehe i think it's a great idea to have a healthy eating post!!
I never have a choice as to what i eat each day as i'm a 6th former at boarding school - its hard enough making them cook me vegan food - but when I'm at home and can cook for myself i think i eat healthily - i'll post my food for the day on here next week (when I'm at home again YAYNESS)when i get to choice wot i want to eat!!!

Megan89
Oct 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
PS did u know herbwormwood that that was you 666th post - hehe i'm not superstitious (honest)

applepie
Oct 17th, 2006, 08:51 PM
breakfast:
coffee + soya milk
2 kiwi fruit, banana, soya yogurt, oats + walnuts

lunch:
salad (radicchio, tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, celery)
pumpkin seed bread + yeast extract
2 carrots
peach

snack:
apple
handful of fruit & nut mix

dinner:
leftover squash, lentil + apple dish
steamed broccoli

snack:
earl grey tea + soya milk
2 chocolate biscuits

fiamma
Oct 17th, 2006, 09:25 PM
PS did u know herbwormwood that that was you 666th post - hehe i'm not superstitious (honest)

I just passed the 666 mark too, and was very relieved when it went up (not that I'm superstitious either ;) )

Justin
Oct 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
668 the neighbour of the beast

herbwormwood
Oct 18th, 2006, 03:22 PM
hehe i think it's a great idea to have a healthy eating post!!
I never have a choice as to what i eat each day as i'm a 6th former at boarding school - its hard enough making them cook me vegan food - but when I'm at home and can cook for myself i think i eat healthily - i'll post my food for the day on here next week (when I'm at home again YAYNESS)when i get to choice wot i want to eat!!!

There was a healthy eating thread but it lapsed for some reason. I thought it would be good to start it up again to motivate those of us struggling to eat healthy and also for those of us who are regularly eating healthy to demonstrate some good eating habits and what a balanced vegan menu can be.

applepie
Oct 18th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Got my fair share of fruit and veg today, I think.

coffee + soya milk
oats, kiwi fruit, banana + soya milk

apple, handful of fruit and nut mix

salad (radicchio, tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, celery, olives, chickpeas)
pumpkin seed bread + artichoke spread
glass of tomato juice

earl grey tea + soya milk
peach, pear

pasta, butternut squash, shallots + sage
steamed broccoli

Roxy
Oct 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM
There was a healthy eating thread but it lapsed for some reason. I thought it would be good to start it up again to motivate those of us struggling to eat healthy and also for those of us who are regularly eating healthy to demonstrate some good eating habits and what a balanced vegan menu can be.

I think one of the reasons that it lapsed is because a number of people felt that it was a thread where the "champion" vegans could brag about how good they ate and it left many others (including some of those with eating disorders) feeling inadequate.

It's great to see people eating so healthily though. I think everybody always has room for improvement! :)

fiamma
Oct 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM
2 wholewheat muffins with forest fruits
Soya milk cappuccino

Pumpkin, lentil and ginger soup with toasted pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds
Steamed green beans with gado-gado sauce
Apple and plums

Grilled tofu rolled in sesame seeds
Mixed stir fried greens
Banana, plums, persimmon
Gianduia chocolate (with hazlenuts)

Camomile tea

herbwormwood
Oct 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Breakfast:
a pink grapefruit and a bowl of cinnamon porridge with soya milk and large pot tea with soya milk
Lunch:
2 slices linseed bread with pure spread and natex, plus a bowl of instant seaweed soup
Snack: Handful of fresh dates
Dinner: Large plate of home made vegetable curry (made with green beans, lentils, cocunut and carrot, among other things) with brown rice
Snack: Alpro soya yoghurt

herbwormwood
Oct 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I think one of the reasons that it lapsed is because a number of people felt that it was a thread where the "champion" vegans could brag about how good they ate and it left many others (including some of those with eating disorders) feeling inadequate.

It's great to see people eating so healthily though. I think everybody always has room for improvement! :)

I think it is really good to motivate each other to eat healthy, whatever our typical eating habits are!
Meat eaters are talking to each other all the time about what they eat, you just have to look at popular magazines and TV programmes to see them.
For us vegans it can sometimes be difficult to keep a perspective on what is a balanced diet, and we can't rely on ready meals the way omnis can, not that ready meals are healthy!
Personally I find myself getting a little lazy at times about eating healthy, can't always be bothered to shop or cook, so seeing what others are eating healthy gives me ideas and motivation.
That's also why I restarted the thread, also for new vegans who don't know what sort of vegan food is healthy.

applepie
Oct 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
coffee + soya milk
porridge with dried apricots, banana slices + walnuts

lentil, carrot + orange soup with freshly baked wholemeal bread

apple
soya yogurt

oven-baked vegetables (sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, courgettes, yellow pepper), served with brown rice and yeast flakes

pot of liquorice tea
2 satsumas

tofutofu
Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Breakfast: Porridge made from oat groats, quinoa flakes and soya milk

Snacks: Medjools, Satsuma, Prune, Halva, lots of seeds!!

Lunch: Vegetable Soup with Sourdough Rye Bread

Snack: Smoothie, Raw veg and avacado hummous

Dinner: Chickpea & Pinto bean stew

Snacks: Banana and coconut milk, lots of nuts

DancingWillow
Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:26 AM
Personally I find myself getting a little lazy at times about eating healthy, can't always be bothered to shop or cook, so seeing what others are eating healthy gives me ideas and motivation.
That's also why I restarted the thread, also for new vegans who don't know what sort of vegan food is healthy.
i'm glad you re-started the thread, herbwormwood. i agree with what you said, and i feel like reading and posting in the healthy eating thread motivates me to keep eating healthy and to get ideas from others. and hopefully, the thread is helpful to new vegans who may just be lurking around the forum and wondering how to be a vegan and eat healthy.

Annie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
B: cereal with walnuts and vanilla soy milk and an apple

S: a banana

D: stir-fry with tofu, veggies (snow peas, onions, mushrooms, zuchinni, brocoli, carrots) with brown rice

S: swedish fish (not so healthy...but oh well)

fiamma
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
What's Swedish fish, Annie? *curious*

Dart
Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
I try to buy organic and cook alot of my own meals:
YogiTea's kombucha green tea starts off the day
Breakfast 1:
raspberry juice with black currant juice added
3 banana with walnut muffins (with amaranth, millet, quinoa, and whole wheat, and dulse seaweed flakes)
EarthScience butter-like spread
10 o'clock snack:
Peaceful Planet protein shake
2 cookies I made with whole wheat, spelt flour, rice bran (left over from making rice milk), quinoa flour, sweetened with maple syrup, and grapeseed oil.
Lunch:
Sandwich made with sprouted grain bread, vegenaise, Tofurky (yeah not organic, but non GMO), my own grown radish/broccoli sprouts
raspberry juice with black currant juice added
3 o'clock snack:
Sugarsnap pea pods/ baby carrots
Sprouted whole grain bagel
Dinner:
Chili made with three beans (chickpea, kidney, and black), brown basmati rice, green and red peppers, and fresh cilantro all over it.
Avocado, mock sourcream (tofutti), and black olives (usually fresh tomatoes but we were out).
8 o'clock snack:
Sugarsnap pea pods
Sprouted whole grain bagel

Also a banana, applesauce cup (my kid was having one, so I joined in), and some pretzels that another of my kids offered to me since he was having only a couple and I thought his hand was a toolittle full of pretzels:p

Did I mention that I am a bodybuilder? And in my bulking up phase.

SandraD
Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Seems like some of you like caffeine. Unless you're having decaf coffee/tea. I believe there have been many experiments on animals with caffeine. Plus it's just not good for you.

Tigerlily
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
I'm sure even decaf tea/coffee has been experimented on as well.

And same with water too.

herbwormwood
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
If you want to drink tea and coffee make sure you know a bit of background to the company. There are ethical tea and coffe companies who do not conduct animal testing, or exploit the humans in the tea and coffee plantations.
The same cannot be said for many of the large multinational companies which own many of the subsidiary food companies. For example we know Unilever and Proctor and Gamble sponsor animal testing.

lozza
Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
I only buy my tea & coffee from my local wholefood supermarket. I always make sure I buy at least fairtrade, then organic, then decaff if I can. I was having trouble finding a fairtrade, organic, decaff coffee, but I found one! :D I was soo happy.

The shop doesnt stock unethical companies' products.

Since all that stuff came out about Pom Wonderful, I havent seen it in their shelves, and they used to stock it all the time.

Annie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
What's Swedish fish, Annie? *curious*

It's a candy (kinda has a cherry taste to it) and they're shaped like little fish =P

applepie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
breakfast:
coffee + soya milk
porridge with banana, dried dates and dried apricots

long day at uni, so I had:
sandwich of spelt bread, yeast extract + tomato slices
yellow pepper
2 carrots
apple
2 satsumas
homemade muesli bar
black coffee to go

dinner:
oven-roast veggies (potatoes, swede, carrots, parsnips, beetroot) served with soya yogurt with loads of herbs mixed in