PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who are living or have lived in Totnes

KezUK
Oct 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
We're thinking of moving there and we wondered what life is like in Totnes. We visited last week and loved how alternative it is. The children walking home from school looked so happy and relaxed, I haven't seen children looking like that for a very long time. Any views on Totnes good or bad would really be appreciated. Thank you.

Kez

earthy
Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
I don't live in Totnes, but whenever we're sort of in the area, we are drawn to it - there is something very special about that place. We looked at moving there about 4 years ago but in the end, couldn't afford it. It seems a very vegan-friendly place and definately has an alternative streak (which is a good thing - I love non-conformity).

The only drawbacks are that being in the heart of Devon, you are never far away from the hunting/shooting/fishing mobs, and in the summer, the tourists would hinder the locals getting around, parking etc, but I think I could live with that.

Hope it works out for you whatever you decide.

Martin

Kevster
Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have been there once, nice veggie and mostly organic cafe there, The Willow?

Not my cup of tea tho.

vegcurry
Nov 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't get over to Totnes enough but there are some good wholefood shops there, and if you're into 'alternative' culture there are plenty of interesting shops.
Willow is a really nice cafe. It's civilised enough (or odd enough, depending on how you look at it) to request mobile phones are turned off in there, which makes for a lovely ringtone free environment. The food is pretty good too.
There is also Green Shoes, just along the road from Willow, who make some great vegan footwear.