PDA

View Full Version : baby products?

foxytina_69
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:12 PM
i dont have any children or anything! but im curious as to if any baby products (like hygiene baby products) contain animal ingredients! does anyone know?

slinkyvagabond
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
I don't actually know about animal ingredients, but does anyone else remember hearing as kids that baby oil & baby powder were made from actual babies? :p (I'm sure that was incredibly unhelpful. So I'll hush myself now.)

foxytina_69
Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM
lol i never heard that. on the topic of hearing things as a child, i was told chinese food was made with cat meat :| lol that traumatized me.

Artichoke47
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
I'd purchase these products or other products from a vegan store: http://www.veganunlimited.com/kids-baby-care.html

Johnson & Johnson is the larger distributor of baby products, and not only does J & J use animal ingredients in at least some of their products, they also test on animals. Thumbs down.

foxytina_69
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:27 PM
thanx :)

derf
Sep 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
im never gonnabuy anything from Johnson & Johnson or any mainstream company like this for baby products!!for food u can do it yourself for dapers me and my girl dont know yet !!wed like to find an alternative cuz dapers is really polluant!!!mmmgo have babies and teach them to be vegan mouhahaha!!!!

Artichoke47
Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
Seventh Generation has diapers that aren't bleached. I don't know what other environmental aspects there are to their brand, though. www.seventhgeneration.com

gertvegan
Sep 4th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Theres some good info about nappies from the Womens Environmental Network. (http://www.wen.org.uk/nappies/index.htm) A UK site.

Megabittos
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Hi,

I'm a portuguese mom to be and I've been searching for vegan baby products. Unfortunatly, in Portugal it's not very easy to find alternatives. I'm planning to order all the bathtime products from some UK sites but first I would like to have the opinion of someone who already used these products: "Earth Friendly Baby", "Organic Babies", "Green Baby", "Beaming Baby", etc.

Thank you so much,
Olívia

Korn
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Hi Olivia (& welcome!)
I was in Lisbon a while ago, and found that there were a rather strong macrobiotic community there, maybe they have some shops you could check out? (As far as I remember, there was a combined cafe and health food shop somewhere in the middle of Lisbon?) Being a father myself, I have many times been surprised to discover that many of the baby products are products we don't really need... some of them seem to be created in order to make money and are based on 'artificial neds'. For example, if one is using a lot of baby soap on babies, her skin becomes dry, and the one needs baby oil. Different kinds of oils and diapers might irritate the baby's skin, and then they offer you various powders... and so on. But good luck anyway! :)

feline01
Nov 15th, 2004, 08:57 PM
What Korn said is true, most of the baby products are never needed and are just created for profits. We never needed the baby lotion because we didn't overbathe the babies. Our pediatrician said that babies really don't need a bath more than once a week until they start crawling. Most parents I know give their babies baths at least 2-3 times a week and then they have to moisturize and powder the babies skin because it gets all dried out. We do use disposable diapers but they are chlorine-free and made from wood pulp. I don't know if that was the difference but our babies never had diaper rash, just a teeny bit of soreness when they were newborns and we used calendula cream on it and it went away.

foxytina_69
Nov 16th, 2004, 01:13 AM
this may be a coincidence but i know personally, and alot of women i know get/got rashes from using normal sanitary bleached products, and now that im using organic non bleached products, i dont get rashes. maybe diaper rash is really just that, rash from a chlorine bleached diaper!

Megabittos
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you all for your help, but to be honest I still have some doubts...
All my friends and family are indicating bathtime products that are sold in pharmacies. These ones are hypo-alergenic, non-irritating, etc, etc, etc... Of course, they've been animal tested and I'm really trying to avoid these.
What I would like to know is if someone has already used some of the brands I referred? Which one do you think is the best?

Thank you for your help.

Olívia

feline01
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry, can't help you since I use stuff made in the US. It's called Natural Baby and I love the smell plus it's organic, vegan and not tested on animals. The babies don't seem to mind it as well, they love their baths :D . I'm sure most of those organic, vegan baby products are pretty much the same.