PDA

View Full Version : Mango substitute

fiamma
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:31 PM
On Saturday I am cooking for friends and want to make a kind of cheesecake-type dessert, only it has a coconut cream flavoured with vanilla. I'm supposed to put in fresh mango, only I'm not sure I'll be able to get hold of one. Also, I've never eaten mango and haven't a clue what I could substitute it with. Any ideas much appreciated!

applepie
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Difficult one. I can't think of a suitable substitute, it's a special taste. I know for sure that they are available every day in my local Conad, so as I'll be meeting you on Saturday if your plans haven't changed, I could offer to get you one if you tell me what weight you need. However, it might not be perfectly ripe then, as the supermarket ones are usually quite hard still.
Edit: Thinking about it, Saturday afternoon would probably be too late, wouldn't it, as the cheesecake might need to be prepared in advance?

fiamma
Oct 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
What a sweet offer, that's so kind of you! The recipe just says one firm, ripe mango. So I guess if you see one and it's ripe then it would be great if you could get it for me. If it's not ripe there's not really much point. I need to go shopping later in the afternoon anyway so I'll try to pick up some other suitable fruit. It won't be the same but I'm sure it'll taste good!

Wishin986
Oct 19th, 2006, 11:56 PM
you might be able to use pineapple - thats the closest i can think of - probably bc i always think i grab one or the other when they are cut up and pre-prepared and i always find out ive grabbed the wrong one!

fiamma
Oct 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks Wishin!

rantipole
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I always describe mangos as sort of peach-like to folks who haven't eaten them. Even if it doesn't taste exactly the same, it sounds like peaches would work well in the recipe.

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Cheers,
rant

fiamma
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Mmm, I will, thanks for that rantipole. The only thing is that peaches are out of season, but canned ones would work I guess. It's a no-cook recipe - what could be better?? :D

Mr Flibble
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
My vote's with peaches. It's roughly the same colour and texture as a mango, slightly different taste that's all.

Have you looked for tinned mango? you can get it in the uk in supermarkets (blue dragon)

Pob
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah I would have said closest to peach, too.

Risker
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Papaya?