PDA

View Full Version : what to do with leeks?

John
Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
Maybe this isn't worthy of a thread, but I just love leeks! In soup, in salad, alone with oil. I think that they are the national vegetable of Wales, too.

Any other ways to eat leeks?

Artichoke47
Sep 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
I made a vegetable strudle that had leeks in it one time. It was really good: veggies, pine nuts with the phyllo dough. The recipe was from Taste of Vitality. www.vitalita.com

John
Sep 5th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Cool website. Shareware-online-vegan-cookbooks, I've never seen that.

I once read about a medieval battle where the Welsh soldiers wore leeks on their helmets to recognize friendly fighters. I'm not sure if the leeks brought them any luck though.

Gorilla
Sep 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM
yeah i love leeks too! my boyfriend's not too keen unfortunately especially when they're not boiled to death, as they have a tendency to 'squeak' between your teeth. :)

i have a great recipe for creamy pasta sauce with leeks, peas and saffron, adapted from a recipe with dairy cream. will post it in the recipe section when i get round to it! :D

8 winks
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
AHHH! the farm i work on has soooooo many leeks and they are so delicious, but no one seems to buy them! we pick so few that many are the size of my arm at this point (i have small arms, though..) anyway, if anyone has ANY interesting leek recipies i would love to see them so maybe we can promote these guys before our stand closes down. Also, must leeks be picked before frost or can we wait longer? thanks

Gorilla
Sep 7th, 2004, 10:24 PM
ok, i have posted my leek recipe in this section, so if you want to look at it it's here: www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981

i'll keep a look-out for some more so you can get selling your lovely leeks! i think many varieties of leek can withstand frost, but if the ground freezes over too hard you won't be able to get them out of the ground! ;)

John
Sep 7th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Looks good. :) Last night I ate 3 large leeks with dinner. :D

mememe
May 28th, 2005, 02:31 AM
I use leeks a lot instead of normal onions, just for a change. So fried in pasta dishes, for burritos, allsorts, really. YUM! Very flavoursome and pretty and colourful.

caitlin_:)
Oct 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
hi guys!I need some help!
right, i was doing my groceries as always when i spotted some leeks and realised it had been ages since the last time i had them!...in fact i haven´t had them since being vegan! so i bought a load and now i can´t really think what to do with them...i always used to cook them with cheesey creamy sauces...any ideas(please dont say cheezly! I hate that stuff!)...
also, does anybodyknow if you can get cheap unsweetened soy milk in madrid?
xox cait.

Mr Flibble
Oct 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
casserole? leek and mushroom pie? soup?

auntierozzi
Oct 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM
You can make a hearty leek and potato soup. Or just cook them till they are pretty well done then eat them cold with tasty vinaigrette, using raspberry vinegar is good.

insubordination
Oct 23rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
I only ever use leeks like onions. I often prefer them in a stir -fry. I've never had them boiled. How long do they take and do I just boil/eat the white part? Leeks are on the expensive side in my country.

Pob
Oct 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
I steam them for 10 minutes and use the whole thing including the darker green bits. I slice it lengthways then chop across it, so that all the rings are in halves and you can get all the sandy grit out when you wash it.

Pantha
Oct 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
I think leeks are lovely in mashed potato, mixed in with some cheezly:)

Cherry
Oct 31st, 2006, 01:08 PM
Mmmmmmm. That sounds good. I like them in maccaroni cheezly too.

herbwormwood
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
They can also be roasted in the oven with other bite sized root vegetables, put the veggies in the roasting pan, pour some olive oil over and sprinkle with seeds of your choice (sunflower and sesame work well) then roast in a hot oven until done to your taste. Normally takes at least half an hour..
Cut the vegtables to size bearing in mind they reduce during cooking. The smaller they are cut, the faster they cook

twinkle
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Cooked in a saucepan with a bit of orange juice they make quite a nice side dish.

fiamma
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Leek and potato soup :cool: *dreamy*