PDA

View Full Version : What soups are vegan?

Annie
Oct 21st, 2006, 06:24 AM
I live on a college campus and eat at the dining hall so I can't really figure out a replacement for beef or chicken broth and MAKE my own soup but...what soups off-hand are vegan safe?

I'm guessing tomatoe soup is one...but I can't think of any others that would be =/

Seaside
Oct 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
Minestrone ought to be, but you've got to check. It seems like soup manufacturers feel compelled to add animal ingredients to all kinds of recipes that traditionally don't use them. Onion soup might be another, and butternut squash soup too.

wmenke
Oct 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Be careful with tomato soup, I've seen brands that add a milk ingredient.

howdawg
Oct 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM
If you look in the kosher section of your grocery store, you can find some parve (containing no meat or dairy) soup bullions that are flavored to taste like chicken stock, etc... but make sure you read the labels!

thecatspajamas1
Oct 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM
Ramen Noodles, oriental flavor are vegan (but it depends on the brand, so make sure to read the ingredients) As a plus, Ramen Noodles are SUPER CHEAP, so you can buy lots of them. Add a can of veggies or beans to make it a more balanced meal.

There are many ethnic soups available in the ethnic foods aisle that will be vegan. (japanese miso, spicy thai soups, etc)

Many Amy's brand soups are vegan. Amy's makes a bunch of soups and most of them are vegan. http://www.shopnatural.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=B31325

Amy's also makes a really good canned vegan chili!

Melanie
Oct 21st, 2006, 10:50 PM
Tinned soups, like winter vegetable, and lentil
Potato and leek
Things like that, generally tend to be vegan.
Always check the label though, as lots of others have mentioned, sometimes the soup companies feel compelled to add milk!

nervine
Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
just read the labels, it's simple..

fiamma
Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
You can't take anything for granted is what I've found. They put milk in crackers, for example :eek: I think if they're serving you soup in your dining hall they're obliged by law to show you some kind of label or list of ingredients showing what's in it. And if there's nothing vegan then request something. You never know your luck :)

cedarblue
Oct 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
you need to check as any veggie soup can have a meat-based stock or milk added ingredient.

do they serve meals in a rota order that changes monthly? if you knew in advance you could ask them about certain items in advance?

Annie
Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
They never say what kind of soup they're going to have in our dining hall and the ingredients for whatever it is that day aren't displayed.

I guess I just should ask the cooks if they know if there's any meat broth or dairy in the soups...thanks guys!

fiamma
Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
If you can ask the cooks then that's great! Ask them if they'll do some vegan options, if there aren't any already. Good luck!

Troutina
Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Onion soup as in French Onion soup isnt vegan, they have a meat broth.

Wishin986
Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
for my dining hall the only safe soups are ever a straight vegetable soup.