PDA

View Full Version : Fats & fat intake

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM
when were watching our fat intake, do we need to be concerned about healthy fats aswell? how much fat should we be getting daily? im wondering if i should concern myself with oils and nuts and have a limit for them.

Artichoke47
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Are you watching your fat intake, Tina? I don't think it's really necessary for a vegan to do so, unless you're eating 5 T. of oil, six avocados, and 1 c. of walnuts. LOL I know I'm not being helpful, but many of the foods we eat are so low in fat, you know?

harpy
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Some people may tell you different, but I don't think you need to worry unless as Artichoke says you are really going over the top.

I had a cholesterol scare at the beginning of the year (well, it was only borderline high) and have been trying to eat healthily since. I cut out things like potato crisps (chips to you Americans :D) and pre-prepared foods with hydrogenated oils in them, but I haven't really reduced "healthy" fats such as those in nuts and avocados, or olive oil and peanut oil for cooking in (though I don't use very much at a time). My cholesterol levels are now OK so I have concluded that this regime is probably all right (for me, anyway).

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 01:29 AM
Ah, reasonable Women! I love you! :)

Everything that has been said above resonates with me. That being said, avoiding cooked oils and fried foods specifically and *never* eating hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils is your best bet. Include some Flax Seeds, some walnuts and some almonds and you'll be fine! EFA's are important, as you know.

If you wanted to just have one oil to use therapeutically to supplement, I would suggest "Udo's Choice" oil, from "Flora". :)

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:27 AM
I take 10ml of flaxseed oil before breakfast everyday. I also try to have avocado or tahini for lunch and IF I use oil for cooking, it is olive oil - but coz of my eating disorder, I don't really ever use oil in my cooking.

This thread has comforted me in the fat thing - good fat is okay in moderation!

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:56 AM
Sometimes when my appetite can't seem to be satiated, I try to eat high-fat foods, like nuts, to try to fill myself up. Let's face it: You can eat a lot on a vegan diet, and the body processes that nutrition like a machine! Being a vegan is great. :)

Artichoke47
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:57 AM
By the way, Banana, I still chuckle to this day when I see your avatar. :D

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:11 AM
Sometimes when my appetite can't seem to be satiated, I try to eat high-fat foods, like nuts, to try to fill myself up. Let's face it: You can eat a lot on a vegan diet, and the body processes that nutrition like a machine! Being a vegan is great. :)

I know - my portion sizes are pretty big. Because I usually weigh in between 39-42kg, people cannot believe how much I actually eat. I also can't believe it. I eat big servings of rice and beans as well as vegetables and fruit. Even when I overeat (to the point that I cannot move), I don't gain weight. Why is that?

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:13 AM
By the way, Banana, I still chuckle to this day when I see your avatar. :D

I am glad to make people laugh :)

foxytina_69
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:25 AM
hmmm okay :) i like to be healthy and i dont want to get too much fat in my diet. i always use olive oil or sesame oil to cook with, and non-hydrogenated margarine on my toast, and rarely if i want mayo, i make it homemade with vegetable oil. so i suppose thats okay :)

gertvegan
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
HERES (http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/index_html#Fats) an article on "Fats" from www.veganhealth.org .

Another article "The Challenge of Defining Optimal Fat Intake" by Virginia Messina, MPH, RD, HERE. (http://www.andrews.edu/NUFS/challenge%20of%20defining%20optimal%20fat%20intake .html)

And a "Making Sense of Fats and Oils" by Brenda Davis, R.D. is HERE (http://www.vegsource.com/articles/brenda_davis_fats.htm) to read.

foxytina_69
Oct 12th, 2004, 08:20 AM
thanx gert :)

Love
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
Today,I weighed in at :eek: 11 stones and 7 pounds :eek: and am 5 feet and 5 inches tall,so I'm not a healthy weight by anybody's standards.
I have begun a fitness routine including regular exercise and healthy eating.
The thing I currently wish to learn about are so-called good fats and bad fats.I know we require some fat intake to be healthy but that's as far as my limited knowledge goes.Many of the yummy recipies I make require some but only a little fat,for example,this evening I made a yummy barley and mushroom stew and it required that I saute some ingredients in olive oil,will this sort of fat intake interfere with my plan to reach and maintain a healthy weight?
With love from Love.XXX.

Tigerlily
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Yes, healthy or non healthy. Fats will make you gain weight if you eat too much of them. Try to limit your fat in take and when you do eat fats make sure it's a non saturated, healthy fat like olive oil.

Miel Miette
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM
You really need some fat in your diet. It's better to cut the overall calories and up your exercise than to just try and cut fats out. Bear in mind that a) a low fat diet is considered to be 20% or so of your calories coming from fat b) fat is needed for healthy skin and hair c) a lot of vitamins are fat soluable.

If you want to see the percentages of fat in your diet, and the types of fats you are eating (mono-unsaturated, poly-unsaturated, saturated) you can to go www.fitday.com and type in the food you eat each day. You want to see yourself eating a whole lot more mono-unsaturated fats than saturated fats.

If you are worried about the fats in sautes, it is possible to saute in veggie stock (though this is really braising). It would make a difference to the texture and flavour, though.

Mystic
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:55 AM
It is important to have healthy fats like avocado, flaxseed and nuts and olive oil or your skin, hair and nails will suffer. Just don't eat deep fried crap, limit junkfood as much as possible and eat loads of fresh fruits, vegetables, wholegrains and legumes

Miel Miette
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:08 AM
Is it "bear in mind" or "bare in mind"? I think it's the second. And I used to be good at spelling!

Hasha
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:15 AM
Is it "bear in mind" or "bare in mind"? I think it's the second. And I used to be good at spelling!

It's "bear in mind." ;)

Miel Miette
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:50 AM
Oh... that's what I put at first. Cool. Damn my forgetful brain.

Love
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Heartfelt thanks to everybody for your much appreciated advice ;)
With love from Love.XXX.

Geoff
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM

Doesn't it depend on what (or who) you have in mind! :)

eve
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:11 AM
Love, if you can read the tiny writing used by Banana in her posting, she gives the best advice. One other thing is to have omega3 fat every day, such as a dessertspoon of flaxseed oil (kept in the fridge). Generally I put flaxseed oil into my daily drink of vege juice. I don't use any other fat, certainly no margarine, or any oils as most of my food is raw. However, as Banana points out, avocado is good, and I possibly eat too much fat because I'm keen on nuts! :) However, I do plenty of exercise every day, well, except Sunday when I read the newspapers lying on my bed!

Mystic
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Love, if you can read the tiny writing used by Banana in her posting

Eve is that a "hint" to me to change my font? :D

Love
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:43 AM
Heartfelt thanks for further advice.
I take a daily vegan capsule of omega oils ;)
With love from Love.XXX.

phillip888
Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Love, it depends on your current fat intake. If you are taking in 50% of your calories from fat, then you're just eating too much. An atheletic person can do quite well on a 25% fat diet.

Here's a functional simplification of fats.

Fats you do not need:
cooking oils of any kind
oil spreads (margarine etc)
oil based packaged dressings
fats from convinence food
fats in baked foods

The fats you do need:
fats found in vegetables
fats found in seeds and nuts
fats found in fruits

If you eat procesed foods regularly, you need to suppliment flax or hemp oil. Hemp oil is desireable because it's easy to keep, has a signifigant nutritional value other than omega3 and 6, has a good ratio of omega 3/6, and it tastes really good. Flax also tastes good, but it's easier to store and use as flax meal, and flax meal tastes much better than flax oil.

Here are my favorite fat filled whole foods:
raw avocado
raw coconut
brine olives
roasted peanuts (just don't eat raw peanuts)
poppy seeds
mustard
raw macadamia
raw pecan
raw brazil nuts
raw almonds
raw tahini (okay this is a seed butter, but it's lightly processed)
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds