PDA

View Full Version : Feeding non-vegan kids

casey_veggoddes
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:32 PM
My son's only three so, I won't have to worry about this for another few years (though this might be useful when my nieces are at my house) but, I was just curious as to what are some vegan foods that go over well with non-vegan children (like when your kid's friend is sleeping over)? Do you guys go out of your way to make something that you know will be enjoyed and familiar to them, like veggie burgers, or do not really worry about it? And how have non-vegan kids responded to your vegan meals?

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Pasta with Earth Balance, garlic and Vegan parmesean or Marinara sauce has always gotten rave reviews as well as Garlic Bread... (not "healthy" but children like it)

Vegan Mac n' Cheese

Vegan French Toast

Smoothies

Vegan Ice Cream and Uncle Eddie's Cookies

Vegan Pizza home-made with Vegan Gourmet Cheese

Fruit Salad

Vegan Yoghurt with Fruit and Granola

Oh, lots more that I will share later! :) Non-Vegan Kids always love what I make!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:36 AM
Hummus and Pita

Organic Tater Tots or Oven Fries

Chocolate Tofu Pie

Stir-Fried or Steamed Veggies and Brown Rice with Peanut Sauce

Potsticker Dumplings

"Breakfast for Dinner" Hashbrowns or Home-Fries, Pancakes with Earth Balance and Maple Syrup, Freshly-Made Almond-Date Milk with Cereal, Fruit Bowls, Fresh Juice

Chips and Guacamole

Vegan Nachos with beans, salsa, avocado, vegan sour cream and vegan cheese

Vegan Potato Rolled Tacos with Salsa and Guacamole

Vegan Quesadillas

Tomato Soup and Grilled Vegan Cheese Sandwiches

Vegan Chili Bowls (Rolls hollowed out and stuffed with chili)

Kid-made frozen fruit and or kefir or yoghurt Pops

Frozen Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pops

Fresh Fruit Kabobs and Soy Yoghurt Sauce or Almond Butter and Maple Syrup Sauce

Toast and Jam and Nutbutters

Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and "Gimme Lean" Crumbles

"Gimme Lean" Sausage and Muffin Sandwiches

Oh, I could go on and on! :) I have served all of these things to children of all ages. They have enjoyed them! :) Your attitude has a lot to do with how they respond and making them part of the food preparation ensures success!

Mystic
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:41 AM
You can also buy some amazing vegan chocolate cakes, as well as ice cream, which you cannot tell the difference.

All of CC's suggestions are great - you want to give them sort of 'normal' things, like pasta and peanut butter sandwiches. Just don't label it as 'vegan food' and it will be okay. I know this because adults are just as immature as kids when it comes to vegan cuisine!!!!

Tofu Monster
Oct 1st, 2004, 11:33 AM
Hummus and Pita

Organic Tater Tots or Oven Fries

Chocolate Tofu Pie

Stir-Fried or Steamed Veggies and Brown Rice with Peanut Sauce

Potsticker Dumplings

"Breakfast for Dinner" Hashbrowns or Home-Fries, Pancakes with Earth Balance and Maple Syrup, Freshly-Made Almond-Date Milk with Cereal, Fruit Bowls, Fresh Juice

Chips and Guacamole

Vegan Nachos with beans, salsa, avocado, vegan sour cream and vegan cheese

Vegan Potato Rolled Tacos with Salsa and Guacamole

Vegan Quesadillas

Tomato Soup and Grilled Vegan Cheese Sandwiches

Vegan Chili Bowls (Rolls hollowed out and stuffed with chili)

Kid-made frozen fruit and or kefir or yoghurt Pops

Frozen Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pops

Fresh Fruit Kabobs and Soy Yoghurt Sauce or Almond Butter and Maple Syrup Sauce

Toast and Jam and Nutbutters

Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and "Gimme Lean" Crumbles

"Gimme Lean" Sausage and Muffin Sandwiches

Can I come and live with you, dammit? :eek:

uww27225
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM
So when we start our vegan commune, CC is going to be our resident head chef right? :D

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:51 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes! :) I can't *wait*! Hurry up and find some land where it doesn't get too bitterly cold, please! :)

uww27225
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
Maybe one of us will win the Capitol Bank 'own your own private island' contest they keep hyping on tv! :D

Northern Lights
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks CC, I've now got my menu planned up until Christmas. Wanna do a quick Thanksgiving menu up for us? That's what I'm missing still!

Sending some prayers of peace and thanks your way.

Mystic
Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes! :) I can't *wait*! Hurry up and find some land where it doesn't get too bitterly cold, please! :)

I nominate Hawaii - all those pineapples and mangos....

gertvegan
Oct 8th, 2004, 05:52 PM
This is from the UK Vegan Society (http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/lifestyle/families/parenting/vegan_children/entertaining.php) website.

When dealing with non-vegan friends, it is worth making a note of the types of foods they will be likely to expect at parties, afternoon tea, etc. These foods may be slightly different from those that would be served to fellow vegans who are into the no-sugar wholefood type diet. Children are notoriously undiplomatic in expressing their disapproval of food and it can be very upsetting for vegan children to have 'their' food curtly rejected - especially at a birthday party or similar special gathering of friends.

If children are expecting a more conventional approach to meals, try to go along with this expectation. In this way the likelihood is they will think the vegan diet is not so strange after all and be more willing to try more of the same in the future. For example, avoid wholemeal breads if children are used to white bread and avoid wholemeal pastry if they usually have pastry made with white flour. The Jus Rol frozen pastry is ideal as it comes as shortcrust, puff or fib - even ready to use vol-au~ents. Carob in cakes or sweets is not a good idea if they have never eaten it before as their taste buds are usually anticipating the sweet chocolate taste and are understandably disappointed. There are many good quality vegan 'ice creams' on the market that should win over any non-vegan child. There are also good quality jellies available now not only in wholefood shops but also in supermarkets e.g. the Rowntrees Ready To Eat jellies in smaU plastic tubs, ideal for little hands to cope with (and the tubs can be re-used again to make jellies, trifles, etc for kids to take to school for lunch). There are plenty of soya products on the market that will fool anyone into thinking they are eating meat - try Redwood's 'Cheatin' range or one of the 'Vegetarian's Choice' products. Add to this, sticks of fresh vegetables such as carrots, celery, halves of tomatoes, crisps, peanuts and fruit juices or fizzy drinks. There are plenty of recipes around for good vegan sponge cakes (chocolate is always popular) to round off the meal.

l337_v3g4n_1
Oct 9th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I nominate Iceland in the summer! (it's not as cold as it sounds you know)

uww27225
Oct 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I nominate Iceland in the summer! (it's not as cold as it sounds you know)
You guys do have Bjork going for ya! :D

Veggie4Life139
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:01 AM
I've noticed that the vegan mac and cheese is not good at all. The cheese tastes VERY sour--has anyone else noticed this? Or was mine just outdated? :/

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:22 AM
What type of Vegan Mac'N Cheese are you tlking about? ( what brand/style/where did you buy it) The Vegan Mac'N cheese I make is creamy, delicious and fools Omnis in to thinking it is "regular" Mac'N Cheese...

Veggie4Life139
Oct 14th, 2004, 12:05 AM
What type of Vegan Mac'N Cheese are you tlking about? ( what brand/style/where did you buy it) The Vegan Mac'N cheese I make is creamy, delicious and fools Omnis in to thinking it is "regular" Mac'N Cheese...

It's the mac and chreese...with the recycled cardboard box that you can buy from Pangea. Why is it so sour? Was mine just old? :confused: