PDA

View Full Version : Vegan friendly restaurants in Australia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

missjasmine
Oct 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
so, there's a lot of listings & discussion of veg*n eateries in melbourne, sydney, adelaide...anyone know of any in perth???!

eve
Oct 20th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Will this be useful for you? http://perthvegans.veghost.com/ :)

lulu
Oct 20th, 2006, 06:16 AM
and.... goldcoast?!

blue-and-yellow
Nov 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I really want to go back to Melbourne, mainly for Lord Of The Fries. I remember I got chips there, but didn't realise the burgers were vegan and delicious.

http://www.lordofthefries.com.au/burgers.php

eve
Nov 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Their burgers are not vegan, they contain cheese and there's cream and mayonnaise. have you checked out http://www.vnv.org.au/RestFriendly.htm ? :)

grillie
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Canberra has two great Vegan Asian restuarants in the suburb of Dickson: Au Lac and Kingsland. Just don't order soup at Au Lac as you will literally get a bucketful.

Zenyai restuarant in London Circuit, Civic is very vegan-friendly and has great tofu dishes.

Kitteh
Oct 30th, 2007, 02:10 AM
there was this extremly awesome place in Katooma (up in the blue mountins) that was literally like my favorite food EVER.
i was so excited about the food i ordered two dishes and ate the other one for lunch the next day.

Did you mean:

New veg*n cafe in Katoomba NSW

Niche Nosh Vegetarian Cafe

Eat in, takeaway & catering
10 Katoomba Street
Katoomba

Phone 02 4782 1622

Vegetarian and vegan meals.
Closed Mondays
Tues to Fri 11:00am to dinnner.
Sat & Sun 9.00am to dinner.< br>
No EFTPOS or credit cards at this time.

Reservations not necessary but going on how busy it was last Saturday, I would recommend it. They have a vegan pie-of-the-day and the three types that I have had so far have been terrific.

A big thumbs down to Emilias vegetarian restaurant in North Curl Curl - NSW. Bad service, boring food, very few vegan options, salads consist of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. On the pricey side.

And I have heard this a few times now :( I wanted to try it as it is so close to me, but I don't think I will.

eve
Nov 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM
Started to post a msg but it disappeared! Just wanted to say that I had lunch at a vegan restaurant in Brisbane yesterday, The Forest in the West End. Everything there was vegan, and I was there with our Roxie from Canada as well as Maureen, Sec of the Veggie/Vegan Soc of Qld. Great food.

Jamie
Jan 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I really want to go back to Melbourne, mainly for Lord Of The Fries. I remember I got chips there, but didn't realise the burgers were vegan and delicious.

http://www.lordofthefries.com.au/burgers.php

Their burgers are not vegan, they contain cheese and there's cream and mayonnaise. have you checked out http://www.vnv.org.au/RestFriendly.htm ? :)

I went to Melbourne a couple of months ago and went there - the standard burgers there are vegan if you ask for it without the cheese and mayo (or just ask for a vegan burger...). We went there a few times (I think hubby was addicted!!), and loved it, although I found the chips a bit salty for me, but still nice. And there is the health food store a few doors down that had loads of amazing vegan stuff, including some vegan cakes!

Mystic
Jan 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
OH greAT! I am going to get fat now :eek::D My uni is down the street from lord of the fries and I LOVE vegie burgers and fries!

treehugga
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
I've just come back from Tassie and was very disappointed with the veg*n eateries. My expectations are not overly high as I like most of you probably, have been disappointed on many occasions. I tried 'Nourish' in Elizabeth St. Ordered sauteed mushrroms with lentils and sourdough bread. It appeared to be tinned lentils with 2 pieces of mushrooms in it and tasteless. The water melon juice was nice. They also served chicken there, which I thought odd for a vegetarian place!! Other veggie options I tried elsewhere were equally disappointing. I was surprised as Tassie has such wonderful produce. :(

weasel
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:02 AM
You damn mainlanders get all the good stuff! anyone know of a vegan place in hobart?
There's a vegetarian restaurant called Sirens in town, i think on Victoria street which comes off Collins, but i've never been there.

treehugga
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
You damn mainlanders get all the good stuff! anyone know of a vegan place in hobart?
There's a vegetarian restaurant called Sirens in town, i think on Victoria street which comes off Collins, but i've never been there.
These are what my research turned up NB some say they are v*n but only serve some v*n options.
Hobart Noodle: Asian, noodle, vegetarian.
Latte & Lunch: Gluten free, vegetarian.
Nourish Cafe:(elizabeth st) Vegetarian
Shamrock hotel: some veg options
Sirens: vegetarian/vegan
Shu Yuan: chinese, vegan/vegetarian (lunch only)
Gift Loung Bar & restaurant:vegetarian cafe.

Roxy
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
If you're ever up in Brisbane, I can recomend the Forest Cafe. Eve and I enjoyed a lovely lunch there, and I even went back a couple more times :)

treehugga
Jan 30th, 2008, 04:14 AM
How was your meeting? I'd love to meet Eve in person, but sadly since my mum moved down to Victoria I no longer get up that way much!

eve
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:05 AM
hi treehugga, guess we'll just have to meet here on the VF! :D - love your avatar - do you look like her?

Roxy
Jan 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM
How was your meeting? I'd love to meet Eve in person, but sadly since my mum moved down to Victoria I no longer get up that way much!

Our meeting was so much fun! I love Eve and all of her wonderful stories :) I really do hope you'll get to meet her one day.

treehugga
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:44 AM
hi treehugga, guess we'll just have to meet here on the VF! :D - love your avatar - do you look like her?
I tried to base my avatar on myself, but i was a bit flattering of course.
my long wavey hair is now short (but growing again).
There are pics of me on here somewhere, don't have any up to daters - camera shy!
Sounds like you two had a great catch up. I'd would be interesting to meet people in the flesh & compare how they are to your impression of them. ;)

treehugga
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Our meeting was so much fun! I love Eve and all of her wonderful stories :) I really do hope you'll get to meet her one day.
I will one day travel up the coast and harrass Eve to meet me along the way!:D

Memma33
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning a short holiday to Brisbane at the end of March - I'm staying in fortitude valley. Are there any places any brissie vegans would recommend highly? I'm looking forward to eating out at vegie restaurants and trying to find vegie health food shops. any ideas?
Thanks!!

Roxy
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM
If you're ever up in Brisbane, I can recomend the Forest Cafe. Eve and I enjoyed a lovely lunch there, and I even went back a couple more times :)

Give the Forest Cafe a go. I really liked it there. It's nearby-ish in West End. If you get on a train, you could get off at South Brisbane Station and walk from there, or take a bus to Boundary Street. There's a really nice Juice Bar accross the street too in a little fruit shop. They make awesome fresh juices.

Tangerine Dream
Apr 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I also forgot to mention, across the street from the Vegie Bar, is a place called Trampoline. It is an ice cream shop that has VEGAN SORBET - the most delicious vegan sorbet too!!!!

Likewise, on Acland Street, St Kilda is another ice cream shop with vegan sorbet. It is called Seven Apples. I haven't been there before but I went in and asked after I discovered that Trampoline was vegan (I thought that there was hope after all!!!)

I went to Trampoline the other day for the first time in a couple years (after dinner at Vegie Bar) and found out the "dairy-free" sorbet is no longer vegan. It apparently contains a small amount of dairy now.

Poo.

treehugga
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I had dinner at the Veggie Bar Fri night & it was great. I had the kofta's followed by the vegan pizza - yum. Then had breaky at the Veg place in Smith St and it was fab as well. You Melbournites are sooo spoiled!!!

eve
Jul 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
You can always check out http://www.vegsoc.org.au/restaurants.asp - I've heard that the Govindas at 99 Elizabeth St is well worth a visit. I'm going to be in Brissie on the weekend of 19/20 July and hope to find a place that provides good vegan food. :)

treehugga
Jul 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Do they still have Squirrels up there Eve? I haven't been up there for years, so not sure. I rarely get to Melbourne either, as I live 2 hours away but will note your suggestion as a try next time! There's also some places I'd like to try in Richmond. Would ask Sticky about them but I don't see her on here anymore :(