PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Whole Grain Bread?

Pascale
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I'm having trouble finding a good brand of vegan whole grain bread that I can find at my normal grocery store and isn't too expensive. Does anyone know of any good brands?

Tigerlily
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know of any brands at your supermarket... but a local bakery might have some. Usually small bakeries don't use "weird" ingredients like mono and diglycerides or lactylate, etc.

Pascale
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I forgot to add this: Today I asked my mom to buy me some rye and pumpernickel bread. I was disappointed.The main ingredient was white flour.Is all rye and pumpernickel bread like this?

twinkle
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I had some nice tasting organic bread from Whole Foods when I was visiting the US.

Not really an answer to your question, but have you thought about getting a breadmaker? I've got a really cheap one but it still makes great dough (which you can put whatever ingredients you want into) and has been going for about 4 years and counting... :)

Mermaid07
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:19 AM
You can get EZIKEIL bread at the local supermarket. It is organic and vegan and healthy. It costs around $2.75 for a loaf.

fiamma
Oct 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Recent conversation at my local supermarket:

Me: "Do you have a wholegrain bread that doesn't contain lard?"
Them: "No."
Me. "Why not?"
Them: *shrugs shoulders* "Because the Bolognese people like it." :eek: Ugh :mad:

I'm surprised that with all the recent emphasis on healthy eating that they should choose to continue using animal fat in bread. They put it in their own brand bread too, and we're talking about a well-respected, high-end supermarket.

Tigerlily
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Bleh! No one uses lard anymore except for old ladies who are still cooking from their 1954 cookbooks!

fiamma
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Try telling them that :rolleyes:

eve
Oct 31st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Bleh! No one uses lard anymore except for old ladies who are still cooking from their 1954 cookbooks!
I get really cranky with people who 'put down' old ladies, or as people often say 'little old ladies'. I'm sure you'll find that the manufacturers of these breads, such as those referred to by fiamma, are men. Or at least some are and some aren't. Just leave out the misogyny please.

fiamma
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM
You're right eve, it's one of those sayings that's unfortunately become engrained in our language as a put down, so much so that we're not even aware of it anymore. I'm sure Tigerlily didn't mean any offence.

Annie
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:32 AM
Um...is it weird that I have yet to encounter a whole grain bread that WASN'T vegan?

twinkle
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:40 AM
A lot of them seemed to have honey when I was over in the US, but there were a few breads that seemed okay (apart from that they all had huge ingredients lists, including "enzymes", whatever they are).

Bread and sugar are two reasons I'm glad to be vegan in the UK, where it seems a lot simpler.