PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat when you really don't feel up to it?

Pages : [1] 2

fiamma
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM
I was just curious to know what you all eat when you really don't feel up to it but you know you should cook, or you don't have much time or energy to devote to cooking. What "quick fixes" do you like to keep in the kitchen?

Purity
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
A vegan sauasage sarnie, with plenty of ketchup. Or a chip sandwich. Or a really quick stir fry. Or sometimes just swedish glace chocolate ice cream :o

applepie
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
couscous, mixed frozen veg + soya sauce
pasta with tomato sauce, pesto, dried mushrooms or veg
or just muesli or porridge + fruit

Soul Rebel
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM
I usually hope there are leftovers in the fridge. :)
As a snack I usually eat dill pickles.

yasha
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:05 PM
um... bread! (sometimes)
Other times I try to eat something healthy but it doesnt always work out that way. I like some of Amy's brand vegan dinners. They're pretty good and quick and not too terribly bad for you but they do have some sodium.

pavotrouge
Nov 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm also hooked on pasta with tomato sauce, either plain, with leftover veggies, arrabiata...ooooooooooh pasta goodness..or a couscous salad, I even make that in the mornings when I forgot to pack lunch for work the night before.

absentmindedfan
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Stir frys all the way, they only take 5 minutes! I either have them with leftover brown rice or thin rice noodles that only need soaking in boiling water for a few minutes.

Marrers
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
I love aubergines. I try to make sure I always have tins of aubergines in tomato sauce in my cupboard (from the Turkish Food Centre or similar shops) and I have that with couscous or 5 minute noodles.

Tinned spagetti or baked beans on bread from the freezer is also a quick standby.

fiamma
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM
I used to love tinned spaghetti!!! The Italians consider it a culinary evil, though :D Baked beans are excellent - there's a great ethnic food shop kind of near here, I should go and stock up. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

RedWellies
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Sandwiches. No cooking involved!

herbwormwood
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
pasta with zest pesto, frozen peas and sweetcorn, or taifun tofu fillets with baked beans and frozen spinach.
when feeling really poorly I have toast and instant miso soup, or toast and instant seaweed soup.

jamboxrock
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I keep veggie burgers, bread, and oven baked fries in the freezer for when I'm out of everything else. Other standby is spaghetti w/ tomato sauce and whatever veggie I can find and nuke in a couple minutes. Or black beans and instant brown rice.

Tigerlily
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM
In my freezer I like to keep veggie burgers and hashbrowns for quick meals.

I also like jarred spaghetti sauce with pasta.

Sandwiches.

Chickpeas.

auntierozzi
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hoummous on big lumps of bread!
Peanut butter " " "
Accompanied by loads of fruit.

Baked potatoes if I have had time to think ahead. Skewers speed the cooking time up, and salad.

RedWellies
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mmmm, yum! I'm coming over to you one day, auntie!

CEH
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM
Beans on toast - love it! A bit of grated Cheezly stirred into the beans is ace too :)

Roxy
Nov 1st, 2006, 11:57 PM
I'm not really up to it - but I just had some hummus on pita bread and a few peanuts from the shell.

Annie
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
Salads (always easy and fun to make)

Veggie burgers

Microwaveable brown rice with mango or regular salsa (cause cooking rice is sooo hard =P )

foxytina_69
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
brown rice w/ vegan butter and soy sauce mmmm its so good and warm and comforting.

pasta

cereal if i have it

baked beans

salad

mini pizzas (toast topped with tomato sauce, veggies, spices and nutritional yeast baked until browned)

mock tuna melts or tuna wraps (chickpeas mashed with mayo, relish, chopped celery and dill pickles, and spices. sometimes i add curry powder to it too) and then you put the mock tuna on a slice of toast with lettuce and tomato and bake it with some vegan cheese or french dressing on top until browned. (french dressing after its baked tastes like cheese to me) or just take the mock tuna, put it into lettuce leaves with any other veggies you want, roll it up and eat it just like that. yummm.

soup/chili that i made for the week

baked potatoes (cooked in the microwave for 3 minutes on each side) topped with dressing, butter, vegan bacon bits, curry powder, garlic powder and pepper. mmm sounds wierd but its so delicious.

i think thats pretty much it.

pixeequeen
Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
pasta with zest pesto, frozen peas and sweetcorn,

I have that exact meal all the time!
I figure it gets veg into me for cheap. :p

insubordination
Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Packet of chick pea or corn chips, can of chilli beans, avocado and chinese greens and a bit of tahini turns into nachos quite easily.

Pantha
Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
hummous, olives and bread

digable
Nov 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Mmmmm, making my tummy rumble.
I have baked potato/mash with a tin of cannelini beans warmed through with the juice of a lemon & parsley. Yum.

fiamma
Nov 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
The other night I was feeling icky so I cooked a couple of potatoes in the microwave. In the meantime I cooked a little onion in olive oil and when the potatoes were done I took off the skins, mashed them in and added water and a little nutmeg. Put it in a big mug - it was delicious and really soothing. Never thought of adding beans to it though - will do that next time. Thanks for the tip digable, and to everyone for your excellent suggestions.

emmapresley
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:43 PM
unoriginally..toasted w/meal pitta bread..then either split open and stuffed with whatever is hanging about in the fridge/cupboard or sliced then dipped into combinations of whatever is hanging about in the fridge/cupboard.:)