PDA

View Full Version : Rash on arm - omegas?

Chocs4me
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure what to do about this but my little boy (17mths) has had like a pimply rash on both his upper arms for a good few mths now and i read recently that a rash on the upper arm could be caused by omega deficiency.

This is gonna sound really stupid but i know i should take him to the doctors about it and i will, but just wanted to post here first because i'm dreading the doc saying it is an omega deficiency and that it is because we are vegan and that i am a stupid ignorant mother or something - and i would feel ashamed :(

He is a really picky eater - i manage to get some ground flax seed into him when he will eat his porrige and he has soy milk/yoghurt, i give him healthy home cooked foods all the time but that doenst necessarily mean he will eat them!! ALso he is still breastfeeding loads and i was under the impression that breastmilk was rich in omegas - i have flax seed and walnuts everyday - i cant do the oils cause they always taste rancid to me so i dont trust them.

Anyway - any thoughts anyone?

herbwormwood
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Could also be eczema, dermatitis or an allergy to biological washing powder. Does anything like aloe vera gel or zinc cream help? Is it dry and flaky? Is it sore, itchy, red?
You don't have to tell the doc you are vegan if you don't want to. You probably feed him a healthier diet than many omnis.
How many parents go to their GP and say "I have this problem, doctor, and by the way doctor I live on crisps, pop, biscuits and takeaways"?
There are thousands of problems which can affect the skin but look at the most common first.

Chocs4me
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
You are right - it could be anything! I am just paranoid and letting my worst fears plague me as I am so happy to be vegan and bringing up my son vegan that i dont want anything to jeperdise that - does that make sense? I've only been vegan for about 7mths now i'm still vulnerable to doubts i guess especially when i am regularly subjected to my mums fears for our welfare being vegan and that she has been up all night worrying about my son in particular etc etc you get the gist!

anyway the rash is slightly red and pimply, not dry, flaky, itchy or sore doesnt look like eczema - i will go the docs & stop procrastinating! Thank you for your very sensible reply!

luaps
Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:51 AM
have you tried red quinoa, it has omega 3,6 and 9.
good luck im sure you have nothing to worry about with your sons diet.

Chocs4me
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Never heard of red quinoa - thanks for the tip, I'll have a look out for it!!

herbwormwood
Nov 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Never heard of red quinoa - thanks for the tip, I'll have a look out for it!!

Udo's Choice (Omega Oil) also has 3, 6, and 9 in. Available in health food stores.