PDA

View Full Version : freezing avacados?

foxytina_69
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:06 PM
can i freeze avacados? i just bought five of them on sale for 2 $. i went to go use them and they had gone bad after a couple days :( i was so sad. so im wondering if i can f reeze them and use them when needed.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:17 PM
I have seen them halved, pitted, frozen and used that way. Trader Joe's used to sell them, in fact. Many guacamole brands come frozen. I'd say make some yummy guacamole and if for some odd reason you can't finish it up in 2 days, (I could!) freeze some! :)

foxytina_69
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
thanx cc :) any idea on how to keep them from going brown!

mysh
Oct 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM
thanx cc :) any idea on how to keep them from going brown!

Would lemon juice work, like with apples?

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM
Yes, Mysh! Lemon or lime is what does the trick, so if you aren't making Guacamole, you can dip the slices of avocado in lemon or lime juice.

foxytina_69
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:24 PM
thanx :)

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Oct 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM
My avocados go brown very quick even if I only put them in the coldest part of the fridge, or in room temperature. They seem to enjoy colder weather than I do, but not too cold.

Kiva Dancer
Oct 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Lime juice on avocados is best. Lemon is good if you can't find lime.

The other trick is not getting them too far brown. They should be somewhat greenish and kind of firm-hard. If they're black and completely soft, they're too ripe to do anything with (except maybe eat).

cowpie
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:16 PM
My avocados never last long enough to freeze them, but I'm glad to know I can if I ever want to.....

eve
Oct 7th, 2004, 06:47 AM
My avocados go brown very quick even if I only put them in the coldest part of the fridge, or in room temperature. They seem to enjoy colder weather than I do, but not too cold.
I eat mine before they get a chance to go brown!