PDA

View Full Version : Do savory foods cause cravings for sweet?

Yogini
Nov 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I often get strong cravings for sweet food after eating a meal of savory food. Do any of you know if there might be some kind of chemical cause for this?

I'm not overeating sweets; a piece of toast with a little agave nectar or fruit in maple syrup always satiates. I just find it curious and want to know if there's a biological reason for this.

Seaside
Nov 4th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Yes, and vice versa. I don't know the chemical cause. But its a palate balancing tendency. I read something about it in books on the macrobiotic diet. Macrobiotics isn't traditionally vegan, but it can easily be made so by excluding fish, and its interesting reading.

jamboxrock
Nov 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Yes! I find that happens to me particularly at lunchtime, and after I've had a savory meal with a strong flavor, like a curry or an asian meal. I keep small portions of cookies and trail mix bars around to take care of it.

yasha
Nov 4th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Well I basically crave all foods, all the time... well except for meat and eggs!! Sometimes cheese is tempting but so far I have not caved.

Anyhow, I have managed to remember to eat a semisweet(carby) snack around three and that makes me crave less sweetish food later in the day.

Tigerlily
Nov 4th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I heard in some Asian countries, every meal contains a mixture of both savoury and sweet. Their sweet flavour would be in form a sauce or a sweet vegetable. That way all the tastes will be equally represented and they do not have a need for a dessert. It makes sense and it's probably why most of them are thin too.

insubordination
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Interesting theory Tigerlily. I'm going to try it.