PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin seed butter

Mystic
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Has anybody tried this? Is it nice? I have never seen it in Australia before and would absolutely love to try it. I cannot eat much nuts, but I seem to be okay with tahini.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
It is very rich and strong tasting, and acquired taste, like hemp seed butter is. Also, the color is really pretty, a dark green just as the oil is. It tastes good in place of tahini in hummus, mixed with miso and garlic and onion powders to make a spread for toast or pasta, in pesto with basil or cilantro...Some like it spread on toast as it is with jam and such but many find it too pungent or strong a flavor...:) hope this helps :)

Artichoke47
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't like miso. Even a small amount in soup will make me not like it. I've tried the dark and the light. I just skip it if a recipe calls for it (I skip vinegar and alcohols w/o a problem, too), and they turn out fine. Am I weird or something? Do most people like it?

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Have you tried unpasteurized Miso? It's the only kind I ever use. I don't usually post it that way, (so as to not appear as a snob) but the Miso I use is aged for at least "2 Summers" and is made by Monks in Japan :). Ohsawa Organic Barley Miso, Unpasteurized from the Yamaki Company. It does have a lot of salt in it, and it is used sparingly and *never heated to boiling* (I always use it Raw) at the same time it has much beneficial live enzymes and is fermented, making it a very useful food/supplement for those who are ill, growing, eating too many refined foods or who have indluged in alcohol... ;)

Artichoke47
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
I'm sure mine wasn't as good as yours, CC. I don't remember whether it indicated if it was pasteurized or not. I just think it tasted horrible, ruined the soup!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
What kind of soup was it? Sometimes the flavors don't blend well. For example, Miso with Butternut and Pumpkin which are Sweet can work or not work, depending on the other spices...

Artichoke47
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:38 PM
I can't remember what kind it was, CC. I know it wasn't a sweet one. I just remember that awful miso taste. LOL :)

Mystic
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:34 AM
CC, is pumpkin seed butter really healthy for you?

ktk
Oct 6th, 2004, 01:13 AM
the low down on pumpkin seed butter
other than the fact that it is very tasty, it is a good source of magnesium, iron, phosphorus and zinc. it is high in omega-6 and omega-9 EFAs.
like all seed and nut butters it is high in calories so i don't have it every day.
i'm sure it is a good source of other things but that is all i remember at the moment.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Banana,...ditto on what KTK said :) :

"it is a good source of magnesium, iron, phosphorus and zinc. it is high in omega-6 and omega-9 EFAs"

Mystic
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Does anybody know how I can get it in Australia?

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Where, in Australia can I get it? Can I order it online somewhere? In fact where can I get any raw nut/seed butters in Australia?

Veganmama
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM
If you find out let me know :) I've been searching around for Raw tahini with no luck, if i find anything i'll let you know

Mystic
Oct 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Likewise :) :)

Mystic
Oct 27th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Does anyone know where to get these in Australia? :rolleyes:

PinkFluffyCloud
Oct 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM
It's supposed to be quite easy to make them, I am still getting around to trying!!

speedylemons
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:03 AM
What about in the Wisconsin/U.S.A?? I'm dyyyyyying to have some of this. I LOVE pumpkin seeds. i could eat mountains of them. :o