PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

pennyfeedsfoxes
Jan 19th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Because we can, doesn't mean we should.....

Radharani
Jan 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM
For the animals. The other stuff is just a bonus. If veganism was terrible for my health, or the environment, I would still do it for the animals.

Terran
Jan 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Animal rights mainly, but also for the environment. Health benefits are nice, but you don't have to be vegan for that.

African_Prince
Jan 31st, 2010, 07:45 PM
I became a vegan for ethical reasons (concern for non-human animals) but health and environmental factors are also important to me.

rxseeeyse
Apr 26th, 2010, 02:28 AM
yes I think vegan is the best choice of my life! for all reasons above.

Annie M. Green
May 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
All of the above :) Although some of the reasons were unknown to me when I first started, like the environmental causes. I only learned that when I was already a vegan and was reading up a lot about this. But when I found out about it, it became one of the top ones on my list :)

jeff
May 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I don't want the animals to suffer.

for-the-life
May 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Animals and environment, "political" too (for world hunger). The rest is not a priority (I do not care).

colleengirl95
Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Well, i went vegan because i really love animals! and for a more healthy lifestyle. :)

Tiffany
Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm vegan 99% for the animals. 1% for health.

Cricket24
Jul 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I became vegetarian for (mostly) animal and (somewhat) health reasons. After reading more about it I found even more info for those reasons, along with the environment and hunger reasons. I didn't miss meat really, and after a while, I stopped thinking of meat as food. I usually don't think of it so I'm sometimes in danger of not telling someone and then having to worry if my food is safe at the last minute. Fortunately everyone close to me knows.

I became vegan when I realized more and more that it's not any more acceptable to eat eggs and milk, etc. than it is meat, since they're all treated mostly the same, and are all unnecessary and fuel inefficient. I realized this from the start of my vegetarianism, mostly, but it took me four years to be completely honest with myself and just become vegan. Looking back, I'm a little ashamed that I didn't go all the way sooner, but my four years as a vegetarian still count for something.

kanopa
Oct 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Animals. I would say environment, but I drive a car and when I say that I care about environment it doesn't feel right, I guess I don't care enough.

Tofukitty
Oct 27th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I had to pick all of the above because I agree with each one. But the it's about 90% for other animals and 1.6% the rest.

I believe humans do not need to eat the flesh or consume any byproduct of others and other animals are not here for humans to use in any way. I guess to would be fair to say it's a completely black and white issue for me, no grey whatsoever.

Lara_Hastings
Oct 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I would say 50% animals and 50 % environmental. I do anything to help save mother nature and to not live like a parasite in this world. Also I find no valid argument what so ever to eat any animal products, we spoiled westerners don't need any of that to survive, actually it's more healthy for us to leave out animal products.
But I see a grey area too, for some people it's impossible to survive on a vegan diet, or it's more like they don't know how to and they are too focused on the surviving issue to have time to care about the animals. With these kind of people I mean many living in hard conditions in third world countries, I don't think we have a right judge them for not being vegan.

maggielassie
Oct 27th, 2010, 08:22 PM
My main reason is ethical/compassionate but I voted for all the reasons mentioned except religious ones (as I'm 100% an atheist).

My ranking of reasons are (from primary reasons to less primary ones):

1. Ethics/compassion for animals
2. Political (as I believe the oppression of animals is linked/comparative to the opression of disadvantaged groups of people, e.g. I come from sociological/political/feminist education; and analysing the oppression/exploitation of women & socially disadvantaged people eventually led me to analysing the oppression/exploitation of animals, especially after I'd talked to some vegans who were involved in those political backgrounds)
3. Health
4. Environmental concern
5. World hunger
6. Economical (as a vegan diet can be cheaper in some way)
7. Veganism feels/works best for me (I felt like 'coming home')
8. No valid arguments from pro-animal exploitation apologists

Lars
Oct 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Animals.

I've always felt for animals and been a vegetarian for many years thinking I was helping but then I watched that show "kill it, cook it, eat it" and it showed me that dairy farming supports the slaughter industry, and I saw the process of veal, from then on I couldn't bear to contribute to the atrocities that these beautiful animals are put through all for a selfish pleasure that it the taste of these animals that lasts for a few seconds.

In order to support my own existence I need not destroy hundreds of others.

Amandah
Oct 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM
For the animals! Also for my health, as I have become much healthier since going vegan 12+ years ago.

VeganLu
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have only one reason. The animals.

nn
Oct 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I am vegan for the common good of all the living beings on this planet.

We are all connected and being not abusing her children reconnects me with Mother Nature.

MrWizzle
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I'm vegan for the cool t-shirts and increased farting power.

(Plus all that hippie crap about saving the animals etc)

leedsveg
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm vegan for the cool t-shirts and increased farting power.

(Plus all that hippie crap about saving the animals etc)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news MrW but you may find that your increased farting power, may only be a temporary phenomenon.:down:

lv

MrWizzle
Oct 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news MrW but you may find that your increased farting power, may only be a temporary phenomenon.:down:
lv
Aww. Rough with the smooth, I suppose.

Serious answer: All of the reasons except for spiritual/religious (no interest in that).

felix_amborosa
Oct 30th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Definitely for the animals, followed by the environment and world hunger. The health benefits are a nice bonus.

megrainbows
Nov 1st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Animals is my deciding factor, Ie. the thing that made me become vegan originally.
the environmental concerns, the health benefits, the fact that it makes me feel closer to the Earth, and is more of an efficient energy source, are just very positive bonus factors :)

hazelcelt
Nov 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
For my health; the animals and environment are added benefits.