PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

leedsveg
Nov 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
For my health; the animals and environment are added benefits.

Hi hazelcelt and welcome to the forum.

I tend to plug the benefits to health of going vegan because I find that self interest is a really big incentive for somebody to do something. If going vegan tended to make our own health suffer, that could be seen as a big turn, no matter how much veganism helps animals, the environment etc. Once a person has gone vegan, I'm not really seeing that listing the personal reasons for having done so, in some kind of order, serves much, if any, useful purpose. Just my view but others will perhaps disagree?

Leedsveg:bigsmile:

gooberboggle
Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
For the animals mainly. Everything else is a bonus ^.^

One night I was looking at my friend's dog I'm taking care of, he's a chihuahua, his name is Pepe.
I was also eating half a roast chicken.. I began thinking about how Pepe isn't much bigger than a chicken. Pepe has been a great friend to me and has been there for me when humans weren't! How can I eat a chicken which could of done the exact same thing for me?
So then I started reading up on animal cruelty, watched a few videos of PETA's website and I decided to turn vegan.
:)

Vegan Beast
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
For the animals mainly. Everything else is a bonus ^.^

One night I was looking at my friend's dog I'm taking care of, he's a chihuahua, his name is Pepe.
I was also eating half a roast chicken.. I began thinking about how Pepe isn't much bigger than a chicken. Pepe has been a great friend to me and has been there for me when humans weren't! How can I eat a chicken which could of done the exact same thing for me?
So then I started reading up on animal cruelty, watched a few videos of PETA's website and I decided to turn vegan.
:)

Reminds me of his story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gv0y1qYx1w

Here's the whole thing.

http://www.tribeofheart.org/sr/sr_witscreeningroom_english.htm

gooberboggle
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
That looks like a good movie :)

Although I haven't avoided or feared animals, I've had pets in the past that I love, but I don't know it just sort of clicked with me that day..

Vegan Beast
Nov 4th, 2010, 01:53 PM
That looks like a good movie :)

Although I haven't avoided or feared animals, I've had pets in the past that I love, but I don't know it just sort of clicked with me that day..

It seems we never know what is going to be the trigger that opens our eyes and for me at least, I spent the first month of veganism being mad at myself for not realizing earlier.

hazelcelt
Nov 4th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I guess I listed personal health because honestly, that was the first thing that made me go vegan. Afterward, the other factors came into play but it was the initial concern for health that initially brought me here. That's not to say I don't care about animals or the planet; once I discovered that being vegan was healthful, I began to see all the other wonderful benefits it had not just for me, but for the planet.

Also thanks for kind welcome! I'm glad to be here!

Hi hazelcelt and welcome to the forum.

I tend to plug the benefits to health of going vegan because I find that self interest is a really big incentive for somebody to do something. If going vegan tended to make our own health suffer, that could be seen as a big turn, no matter how much veganism helps animals, the environment etc. Once a person has gone vegan, I'm not really seeing that listing the personal reasons for having done so, in some kind of order, serves much, if any, useful purpose. Just my view but others will perhaps disagree?

Leedsveg:bigsmile:

cruelkitti
Nov 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Because I can't imagine giving my money to buttholes so they can make a crapload of animals lives miserable all up until their disgusting, untimely death.

I guess that's "for the animals" or "ethical" reasons...but really it just feels like (not so common) common decency to me.

ReasonTakesMe
Nov 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hmmm, this is an interesting poll. I am vegan because it is the logical way to be ethical (or good). I do have a slight meta-analysis of the first option though: ethics are very different from a "reverence for life". There is possible overlap; however, it's not very accurate when you think about it. A "reverence for life" presupposes a reverence for something else (like animality or sentience). A "reverence for sentience" may be a better way to put it. Afterall, our lives require a great many deaths of non sentient beings from bacteria to plants. Anyway, I'm sure most people do not share my interest in semantics. LOL!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news MrW but you may find that your increased farting power, may only be a temporary phenomenon.

I do have to say that my farting power is doing just fine! :P

Congratulations, anyone who reads this, on liberating your mind, however you did it.

Aylanna
May 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
I am vegan for the animals, my health, and for the environment!

stupefy!
May 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
Mainly the animals, others just come along for the awesome ride

because it's a diet and lifestyle completely free from cruelty and death,

Sorry, but veganism is NOT completely free from cruelty and death, just lessens them.

stupefy!
May 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
I am vegan because it is the logical way to be ethical (or good). A "reverence for sentience" may be a better way to put it. Afterall, our lives require a great many deaths of non sentient beings from bacteria to plants. Anyway, I'm sure most people do not share my interest in semantics. LOL!

Thanks ReasonTakesMe. I am just curious, have you read "The Immorality of Eating Meat"? I turned vegan after this logical analysis of veganism by Engel. You're the first vegan I know who flat out said logic as a reason;)

Firestorm
May 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am Vegan because after learning how animals are treated I dont want to be a part of that, I want to live a life that causes the least amount of suffering to other animals (including humans). The health benefits are a free bonus.

Gwydion
May 1st, 2011, 07:03 PM
So I can get fussed over at restaurants.

Crap jokes aside...Ethics, totally. And logic as above, I can go with that :D

Kateee
Sep 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
First of all, I've become vegan for the animals, so for ethical reasons. Then it would be the environment and for health. And I've discovered so many advantages of being vegan after a while, such those benefits that it brings to your health and the feeling of being guilt free.

MomOf2Gremlins
Sep 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm vegan due to ethical & compassionate reasons!

masurabi
Oct 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The main reason is definitely for the animals, my heath and the environment are just the added benefits(:

Crusty Rat
Oct 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I went vegan for ethical/animal rights reasons and that's still the main reason. But I was pleased to discover that the effect on my health was similar to when I quit smoking! I also agree with the environmental/sustainability reasons. Plus I love the food and the way my diet makes me look, smell and taste. There's a million reasons for me to be vegan, whether it's for my own or others' pleasure, and no reason not to be.

Maître
Oct 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I am vegan* because I eat and do what feels right for me, not what I have been told or observed in the majority. There's not really any reason, more a lack of reasons for the contrary. Just because something is popular doesn't mean there must be justification for not doing it, I have never had any desire to harm, kill or eat an animal and neither do I see any attraction to animal products (infact they revolt me, so maybe that is one 'reason').

*I don't actually label myself vegan, I'm just myself and it just so happens that there are quite a few similarities between me and someone who is 'vegan'.

athame
Oct 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
At first I wanted to do it to lose weight but I learned about the environment and animal rights in the process, now there's no turning back. When I started I got all of the free "vegetarian starter kits" that I could, what I read horrified and inspired me. So far I've lost 15 lbs. My goal is a total of 30. :D

athame
Oct 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I should also mention I went vegan after I saw an episode of 30 days with Morgan Spurlock on a hunter from North Carolina who lives with an animal rights activist family. I thought it would be funny because I live in north carolina and I know people like him. I actually cried a few times during the episode. I think everyone needs to see it because it exposes the cruelty of dairy farming and animal experimentation. The hunter actually became an animal rights activist although he still hunts and eats steak. I thought it was very moving.

tjay10
Oct 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I went vegan for ethical/animal rights reasons and that's still the main reason. But I was pleased to discover that the effect on my health was similar to when I quit smoking! I also agree with the environmental/sustainability reasons. Plus I love the food and the way my diet makes me look, smell and taste. There's a million reasons for me to be vegan, whether it's for my own or others' pleasure, and no reason not to be.

Completely agree (except for the smoking, I never have). Even if it wasn't such a healthy lifestyle I still wouldn't feel that I have the right or superiority to eat another sentient being or inflict pain or suffering. I wouldn't want that for myself or my children so why would I condone it to be done to others. Wish I could stand up for myself and say that to meat eating friends but haven't managed it so far!

ChrisF
Nov 16th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Mostly for health reasons and world hunger.

Korn
Nov 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mostly for health reasons and world hunger.
And how do you get to the conclusion that using non-food animal products is wrong based on world hunger/health?

Ladygold
Nov 16th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Compassion for all and that includes animal rights and humans rights to be healthy and mentally healthy which being vegan gives me.

ChrisF
Nov 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
And how do you get to the conclusion that using non-food animal products is wrong based on world hunger/health?

It works exactly the same way, the land used to warehouse animals no matter if it is for food or other things is unethical on many levels. The odd thing is we know that but continue to do it.