PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

Clueless Git
Jan 7th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Good post VeggieDave and welcome to the forum :)

veggiedave
Jan 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Good post VeggieDave and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks, nice hanging out here!:o

Jara
Feb 21st, 2013, 01:44 PM
I think this wonderful talk is perfect for this thread, very well explained why it is absolutly necessary to become vegan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqzF4K4eFeQ

It is with spanish subtitles for those who would need it.

Shadewood
Feb 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM
In order of importance:

1] Ethics.
2] Environment
3] Health and wellbeing

I'm too sleepy to write more than that at the moment. :faint_smilie:

Festered
Feb 21st, 2013, 11:58 PM
Because I CANNOT spend my money on thing that directly support the abuse of animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I CANNOT spend my money on thing that directly support the abuse of animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Tabbycat
Feb 25th, 2013, 12:37 PM
For the animals, for the Earth and for me.

I didn't check the box for spiritual although I suppose I could have since I believe the Earth (Gaia) herself is a living entity.

KnittinMama
Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
1. Compassion, not just for animals, but for people and the planet. As a Christian, I don't believe any animal or human being should be exploited for my own greedy consumption. Factory farming isn't just cruel to the animals - it's a cruel industry for the people who work in it as well. The exploitation is found at every level. It's the same reason why I strive to not buy fruits and veggies from big-agriculture. The cruelty and exploitation also exists in the making of items from animal products, not just for food. That's why I don't wear leather, fur or wool (save for the handful of wool items I knitted before I was vegan. I figure I should respect the animals who gave their fleece enough to not waste what I made) and I try very hard to buy cruelty-free products.

2. Health. I find the less processed my diet is, in general, the better I feel. Eliminating animal products was a start, but I also eliminated caffeine, refined sugars, and refined grains. Now I stick to a mostly raw diet with the occasional treat of a baked sweet potato or some rice.

Mothergoose
Mar 19th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I think the reasons for a vegan diet as a total argument. If you care about people, animals, the environment or your health than you should be vegan. When I feel alone and unsure of my convictions in one aspect of veganism, I lean on another piece of it to give me strength.

The biggest reason for me is animal welfare. The undeniable fact that I didn't have to eat animals but chose to eat them anyways always bugged me. I never flirted with vegetarianism, I went vegan right away. I told myself at the time that I was doing it for the environment and for human welfare. I have since accepted that the principle reason I did is because I don't believe its ok to needlessly kill animals. The exact moment I became vegan happened while I was watching the documentary "Vegucated" on netflix. I turned it on because I am interested in learning about new ideas and new things, not believing at all that it would change my life. When they showed the shot of the hundreds of baby chicks wrapped up in plastic garbage bag, discarded in the dumpster like trash, I had to choke back tears. When they brought the chicken they had rescued from an factory farm to the animal sanctuary, I wept openly. That animal looked as if it had died inside a long time ago, but when the put it in the grass and sun it was like it under went a resurrection. At that exact moment, I knew I could never eat an animal again... and I haven't.

micthemini
Mar 29th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Animals all the way for me too.

Risker
Mar 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM
I like to cause a fuss when eating out.

Blueberries
Mar 29th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I like to cause a fuss when eating out.

Haha, it is great fun isn't it? ;) Especially when they cover something in cheese and get pissed off when you say that you asked for it with no cheese. Or when you ask what the ingredients in things are and they admit that they just don't know. Entertainment abound! :D

micthemini
Mar 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I like to cause a fuss when eating out. Love this. I like it when the restaurant states 'freshly cooked for you' but when you ask them not to add cheese or cream, they say something like 'we cannot as it will affect the flavour' thus you know it's not freshly cooked, but already made up.
This is why I eat at home rather than go out.

MotherEarth07
Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
For the animals!