PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:14 AM
What is a strict vegetarians???

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I am vegan for the health first and I am overjoyed at the animal and environmental benefits of my choice but I am a selfish person and its me me me first

Gorilla
Aug 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Fruitbat, i used to call myself a strict vegetarian, and i just meant it as being no dead animals, no dead animal by-products, including leather, gelatine, animal fat etc. and no battery-farmed eggs. that also meant no products that were tested on animals.

some people who call themselves vegetarian, as many of us know, will eat fish (or even chicken), eat gelatine and animal fat, and wear leather/suede etc. i used the word 'strict' to mean i was vegetarian in every possible sense of the word.

oh and by the way, back to the thread! i'm vegan for the reasons of the Vegan Society - "For people, for animals and for the environment". :D

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I get it now thanks for explaining it to me! I thought it was a new kind of vegetarian different from ovo-lacto, lacto or ovo (or pesco or pollo but I think they should drop the "vegetarian part and just call themselves pescotarians and pollotarians and that is how I always refer to them)

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 13th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I also sometimes refer to myself as a "Pure Vegetarian" or "Strict Vegetarian" as well. To me "pure" says it all; nothing to muck up my body, my conscience etc....PURE VEGETARIAN!

indianvegan
Aug 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Well PURE VEGETARIAN / Strict Vegetarian /100 % Vegetarian are very common terms here in my country, most lacto vegegtarians do use it. These lacto vegetarians are also using/consuming animal milk and milk products and other accessories and clothing like Woolen,Silk,Leather Jackets etc. Inspite of these they claim themselves as it.In India, one who eats Eggs are not called as Vegetarians.Their status is almost like Meat eaters in the society.Egg is very much prohibitive here. People are very much conscious about it.

Before coming to knowledge about Vegan life,myself was used to claim that.
It is only when my ignorance removed by one Canadian friend who is Vegan.

Vegan means strict,pure,100%,real,true,genuine VEGETARIAN

Manish

Kevster
Sep 11th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe this has been around before, but concise and amusing,

http://www.anti-everything.com/pages/vegan.htm

wuggy
Sep 11th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Couldn't put it better myself!

Roxy
Sep 12th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Good link Kevster. Right to the point! :D

Trendygirl
Sep 14th, 2004, 09:17 PM
I really liked it. It made me smile, someone telling it how it is! Well done!

Trendygirl
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I am vegan for health, love of animals, environment, help the world hunger crisis and increasingly spiritual. I am not religious but I have been reading up on different religions and issues such as Karma. I believe that if to kill and eat an animal you consume all the fear and pain that animal has gone through during its lifetime. Your body becomes a living grave! I believe that you can never call yourself truly enlighten if you consume animals. I want to feel inner peace but I always have the fact that I used to eat meat at the back of my mind. I feel like I still have all the pain of the animals I ate in me.

foxytina_69
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:36 PM
nice concept trendygirl :)

cwih57
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:49 AM
I'm vegan because of the animals, then the enviroment, or maybe both at the same time

but its kinda weird cause I don't really like animals, I don't want them to suffer or die, especially for human use, but I also don't like them near me, I'm afraid to birds bug sreptiles, fish, most mammels and basically all other animals that aren't cats, I like cats, but only one at a time, I don't want to be around multiple cats

cowpie
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I'm vegan for the animals, the environment, and for health reasons, but the animals are the main reason...

Trendygirl
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
I don’t find it strange that you don’t want to be around them. Just because you don’t want to put them through any kind of pain, doesn’t mean that you want to humanise them and talk to them like Dr Doolittle!

snaffler
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I saw a horrific slaughter take place when I was 11 I went veggie by the time I hit 18ish I was living vegan without realising - to weigh it up I removed all living creatures and the by products from my life as I do not need another living thing to suffer for me to eat, to wear or to wash and stay clean alternatives exist without being cruel no one has an excuse unless they have no feeling for other living things.

Also I di find the health benifits amazing....my overall health improved which is a + on top of a cruelty free lifestyle.

Andie
Nov 14th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Animals first then personal and planetary health.

GwynneVeg
Dec 28th, 2004, 03:53 AM
At first it was health - I used to always feel sick. I found that a vegan diet with no fats is the best for me. Then I read The Food Revolution and Fast Food Nation. Unbelievable. Now it's the animals, the environment, world hunger, and the fact that I don't trust processed foods, esp. meat and dairy. I'm a slow learner. I have evolved.

Mshummus
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
It started out being for my health. My husband died of a heart attack, and that was directly related to his gross meat laden diet.

After he died, I decided that my daughter wasn't going to lose both parents.

After being an ovo-lacto for nine months, I learned about factory farming and other terrors that animals suffer.

So, now, it's for health and animals.

rhinosauraus
Jan 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I see eating meat the same way I see smoking.

being a smoker isn't the most healthy way to be and it'll probably kill you faster than if you didn't smoke..

that's why I am vegan.

littlekitten
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
at 6 years old i was in mcdonalds i was kindly told my hamburger was a cow (dad's hey!) so animals is definatley why i chose to be vegie at first, i've always loved animals and would even save worms in the back yard. Im a vegan because i feel strongly about the many forms of cruelty animals endure by mankind today. I also have grown to realise the health benifits, and believe it can have a better effect on our environment.

kohlrabi222
Jan 9th, 2005, 04:10 AM
For the animals

Wanda
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:11 PM
To celebrate my 15th vegan anniversary I created a 'Why Vegan' clip.
You can check it out here (http://www.thisiscool.org/ecards/index.htm) under 'Action Clips' - Why Vegan.

Love
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
:eek: I have just seen some of the best e cards in all of cyberspace on your link and urge others to look at and send them,bravo!!!
With love from LOVE.XXX.

bluedawg
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
congrats on your anniversary, Wanda!

and i *love* the why vegan clip! very well done!!