PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

1vegan
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Gefeliciteerd met je vijftien jarig jubileum Wanda :)

gertvegan
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Gefeliciteerd met je vijftien jarig jubileum Wanda :)What he said. :)

Stu
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Gefeliciteerd met je vijftien jarig jubileum Wanda :)
Well that's easy for YOU to say...

Wanda
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks and dank je.

Artichoke47
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Very powerful, Wanda. :)

feline01
Feb 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Fantastic Wanda, that was a phenomenal card, I can't wait to send it out. Congratulations on your anniversary!!

pixeequeen
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:48 AM
An amazing card, beautifully worded. Good on ya!

Leigh
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Happy anniversary Wanda. Fantastic card!

Aurora
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Beautiful card. Thank you Wanda for sharing it with us. The rest of the cards are pretty good too!

Aurora xx

Mac
Apr 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
For the animals. If I were born again as a farm animal... scary... so scary... Imagine living on feces grounds and in so tiny cages for your entire life. Imagine being castrated, broken off your nails, the ends of your teeth, and killed without anesthesia.:( Eating animals is also bad for the environment and human bodies.

Astrocat
Apr 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
The reason ?
I saw no reason not to, once i realised that ethical vegetarianism was ethically inconsistent.

I'm not somebody who finds it necessary, or even easy, to knowingly do really unethical things - particularly when they are so easy to avoid doing.

As for my reasons -

serious reasons - http://vegansrock.net/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=vegtalk_bd;action=display;num=110560 8208

:) light-hearted reasons - http://vegansrock.net/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=vegtalk_bd;action=display;num=110510 6875

sophia
Apr 18th, 2005, 04:45 PM
At the age of 12 I decided to become veggie, as I hated the thought of eating animals. My parents were really supportive and began cookin veggie food for all of us. I remember back then there wasn't many veggie delights other than nut roast, or a vegetable bake from tesco. I suppose I didn't really know at that age the cruelty that went on with dairy. I stopped eating most dairy foods and eggs ages ago, and it was really only cheese that stopped me being vegan.

I love all animals and I don't want to be a part of any cruelty they have to suffer. I also feel strongly about the environmental issues. O ther people are starving in the world due to deforestation and over production of meat. :)

John
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
The reason ?
I saw no reason not to...

That's what I'm talking about. I never needed a reason to give up animal products. I needed a reason to continue using them.

Astrocat
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:05 PM
well yes, it seems very odd to me, the whole question of "why are you vegetarian/vegan ?" - my reason is simply "why not ?"

Why should anyone feel that themselves, least of all others, should need a reason before choosing to do something ethical ?

ie -
drongo - "why do you choose not mug old ladies ?"
me - "eh ? why would i do that ?"
drongo - "well, then , why don;t you pay for innocents to be abusively held in captivity in order to devour their bodily fluids ?"

My list of reasons was something i wrote and compiled some time after becoming vegan, once the other benefits became clear to me - i reckoned they might be useful to know about for those who felt they required reasons or justification for veg*nism, so that was why i wrote them.

spo
Apr 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
“To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man. . . . I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.”
****— Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

“But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time a soul had been born into the world to enjoy.”
****— Plutarch (in Moralia) (46-120)

That about sums it up for me
And since dairy and eggs are produced by depriving "a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time a soul had been born into the world to enjoy.” I am vegan. I'm sure that Plutach would agree.
spo

Happiness
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Health, animals and environment all equally.
My health so I have the ability to make a stand and change things for the animals and environment.
The animals because their suffering pains me and without them our environment and health would deteriorate.
The environment because lets face it without it we have nothing.

cookie
Jun 8th, 2005, 01:46 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but I wanted to know all of the reasons you guys have. I was vegetarian because of the awful ways in which animals are kept and killed. I gave up smoking after realising what happened to animals for me to have those cigarettes. I have been vegan for about a month now and took that extra step because I didn't want to support the meat industry through buying dairy (I had long since stopped buying eggs). I don't buy anything animal related (tested on them, containing ingredients or made of leather etc) for these reasons.

I'm not trying to cause any arguements, I'd just like to learn about other motivating factors :D

Glen
Jun 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Same as you for me really. Saw the cruelty to animals and decided I didn't want to be any part of it. Although its not only that, because even if it wasn't inhumane I wouldn't eat it, so I suppose part of me thinks that we don't need animals or to kill for food :)

adam antichrist
Jun 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but I wanted to know all of the reasons you guys have. I was vegetarian because of the awful ways in which animals are kept and killed. I gave up smoking after realising what happened to animals for me to have those cigarettes. I have been vegan for about a month now and took that extra step because I didn't want to support the meat industry through buying dairy (I had long since stopped buying eggs). I don't buy anything animal related (tested on them, containing ingredients or made of leather etc) for these reasons.

I'm not trying to cause any arguements, I'd just like to learn about other motivating factors :D

Having been vego for 7 years, I joined an animal rights group and the 'hardcore' members who were the ones doing the actual work, rescues etc were all vegan and wouldn't take me seriously until I was too. They actually split from the original AR group due to it's progressive slide into hypocracy and called themselves 'vegans for animals', so veganism was a membership requirement.

As soon as I went vegan I realised that it did say alot about my commitment to animal rights, and the only reason I hadn't done it sooner was the absence of positive influences from other vegans.

This is why I love the forums, for some of the members we are the only support they get and without us they may be crushed by the weight of the world. Vegan communities are only possible through mutual support, and I can see veganism springing up in increasingly remote locations thanks to the influence of the internet and sites like this one.

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 8th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I turned veggie when I was 8 purely because I loved animals and felt it was wrong to eat them, but then I started to learn more about the meat industry and then about the egg and dairy industries after I joined Animal Aid and got an internet connection.

It was realising there's a direct link between dairy and veal and that buying products with egg in it is just like buying eggs that made me go vegan.

Mozbee
Jun 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I realised through listening to people like Benjamin Zephaniah and reading various booklets(Naturewatch) & articles on the net(Peta & Viva!) that being an ovo-lacto vegetarian and believing that I was therefore avoiding animal cruelty in my diet, I was still being a total hypocrite.
So I stopped being a hypocrite and went 100% vegan because I love all animals.
(It's nice to know veganisms good for the environment (and human animals) too though!:D)

DoveInGreyClothing
Jun 8th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I went vegetarian aged 12 because I thought it was unnecessarily cruel to kill animals for food. I naively thought organic milk and free-range eggs and wool wouldn't harm animals.
then I started to learn more about the meat industry and then about the egg and dairy industries... It was realising there's a direct link between dairy and veal and that buying products with egg in it is just like buying eggs that made me go vegan.Same here, so I went all the way as a new year's resolution this year, best decision I've ever made, and I wish I'd made it sooner!

Vegantastic
Jun 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I am vegan because I don't like animals, so I don't want them in my food! :D

That is a joke ofcourse. I am vegan, because my heart tells me that I can't eat animals or something from an animal. Like peta says... animals are not ours to eat, wear, use or experiment on..

From the start I was born, I was a child which was busy with nature. I loved animals, I loved the butterflies, I loved the flowers...I did eat some animal products, but I was thinking and thinking... but nobody told me anything about how the animals were kept etc. When I was 10 years or something... I stopped eating meat...but I still was thinking ... but again nobody told me more... only when I got internet and did some search on my own I learned from vegetarians and vegans on internet that there was many more things nobody told me. I stopped with the eggs, I stopped with the milk, I stopped buying other animal products, I stopped with going to zoos....I started with going in the right direction. I started with being a vegan!

Korn
Jun 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Hi you might also be interested in this thread:
Your personal vegan story (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2109#post2109)

sugarmouse
Jun 9th, 2005, 04:59 PM
the animals..and just because i do not want these products in my body..health..ethics..the lot!! ;)