PDA

View Full Version : Please list all of the reasons why you are a vegan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14

hazelbunny
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM
For the animals - once I had my "awakening" as I call it, there was no other option. One thing I dont understand is how some meat-eaters have realised its wrong to eat meat and yet they still do it. I think there are huge differences in peoples personalities and its hard to explain why.:confused:

veganlinda
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Me neither, I have a couple of friends who have been either vegan or veggie and gone back to eating 'meat' and get upset when I use the term 'dead animal' ... weird ... and sad

i<3tofu
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
were do i start!!

first and foremost AMIMALS

2 RELIGION

3 WORLD HUNGER

4 ENVIRONMENT

5 AMAZING FOOD!!!

6 HEALTH
.....theres more, but i wont list them all now

Memma33
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I became vegan because I feel that animals do NOT need to be so over-exploited and cruelly abused as they are (mostly farm animals such as factory hens, etc). This is ridiculous and inhumane!

ahem...those are my reasons :)

LuC
Mar 10th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I'm going to have to say all of the above. I definitely believe that I have always felt that it is the right thing to do, a long time before I had any real substantial philisophical motivation to be vegan. I was 13 years old at the time. Eventually, my reasons evolved to include: ethics/philosophical reasons, compassion for animals, reverence for life, environmental reasons, and personal / human health

Jippia
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I became vegan for the animals, to do my thing for the hunger in this world, to improve my general health, to be free of guilt regarding hurting animals for food or clothing reasons, it just feels right and I can help the environment a little, too.

Mirjam

earthylovingirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
defenitely all of the above...people eat meat and dairy out of ignorance...

TheAlterEgo
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm a vegan for the majority of reasons above but the top reason is for the animals :)

veganized
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
first and foremost animals!.. then just because im eccentric

xrodolfox
Aug 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I do it 'cause it's cool.

Just kiddin! It isn't cool. :(

Okay. Enough of bad internet humor on my part.

I do it for the ethics first, then political, then because there is no compelling reason to consume animals (isnt' that w/in the "ethical" rubrik?), then the other reasons.

As someone already said, I'd be vegan even if it wasn't healthy or good for the environment, although all those reasons are certainly nice side benifits.

Darky_
Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I did it firstly for the animals too :mad:
. . . .But I have recently learnt that the meat industries are a major cause to the planets destruction and probably most world hunger, so I am with most of them although i only ticked the first 2 choices.
I am not religious or anything....maybe some inner spirituality though! :)

petunia
Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
animals....

everything else is secondary.
..... but still important!
:):)

littlewinker
Mar 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I first did it for animals.

But the bigest reasons now are:

1. Environment
2. Animals
3. My personal beliefs
4. Health

+ all the other reasons in the poll but these are the main ones

genisis
Apr 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
i started when i someone in my local town centre showed me info on animal testing and the companys that are involved.i was deeply distressed.i spoke to a friend who told me about viva! so i phoned them up and they sent me loads of info.i then saw the cruelty of factory farming and how unhealthy eating meat was so i became veggie first and then vegan.

ivandurago
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I'm doing it to promote animal rights.
Cannot complain about the health benefits :P

Joe
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I became a vegan because I'm opposed to killing animals (except in self-defence).

Antoine
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM
animal rights. 100%

Roxy
Apr 18th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Originally for me, it was for the health benefits. But now those are just a bonus. I do it because I don't want to hurt animals. I love them, don't want to use them and could never, ever eat them.

susangail
Apr 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM
For the environment, which for me, most certainly includes animals.

august
Apr 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM
for the animals foremost

bryzee86
Apr 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I went vegan for the animals, and along the way i've distributed my veganity throughout most of the above causes.

horselesspaul
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Animals have rights.

Eclipse
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM
All of the above, however ethics more than anything else.

ellaminnowpea
Apr 30th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I became vegan for health reasons. It's really helped me to eat the healthiest I can. I've always been really interested in nutrition.

I've stayed vegan for the animals and environment. It's the only ethical choice.

Mr Flibble
Apr 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM
It's the only ethical choice.

Really? If I were to be completely honest with myself I'd probably say that a raw, locally produced fruitarian diet (or as close to as possible whilst remaining healthy) was the only ethical choice. As vegans we're still killing plants, wasting energy on cooking processes (that in most cases removes nutrients) and transporting food round the globe, wasting both fuels and packing materials. Sure, veganism is certainly way more ethical than a non vegan diet in the other direction, but where as some people call veganism the extreme and vegetarianism the more easily obtainable ethical choice, i think i'd view it one step further over.