PDA

View Full Version : Tower Hill Stables

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

gertvegan
Dec 27th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Check out A day in the life of Fiona Oakes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4115981.stm) . :)

Yaksongs
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Just to let you know that Fiona took 2 more ponies last week & 2 more dogs yesterday ! That makes 23 horses now & 12 Dogs...

The dogs are both 14 & their owner was moving to a flat that wouldn't allow her to keep them, she had tried all the usual organisations to take them, but at their age (in spite of being healthy & perfectly mobile) the only advice she got was to have them put to sleep - nice ! They had to travel all the way from Staffs.

The ponies - described on the phone as 2 fillies - turned out to be a stallion & a heavily pregnant mare !! - ideal Hopefully the stallion will be cut later this week (ouch :eek: )

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:16 PM
:p Poor stallion - you cruel Vegan gits! ;)

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Erm, I *was* joking, by the way, I used to work with Horses, they were my one true passion, I KNOW about Stallions! :D

gertvegan
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I've just set up my standing order. Every little helps. :)

cedarblue
Jan 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
im sure i will be interested in buying some ilfromaggio, will ge back to you soon. one question - the lord of the rings directors cut - is that just the fellowship film or does it cover all films?

Yaksongs
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
All being well, Fiona will be competing in the womens elite race at this years race. She will be targeting a top 20 position which will be an incredible achievement considering her workload with the animals. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to promote veganism to a wide audience. Grandstand have indicated that they want Fiona on their Saturday program on the day before the race !

Clearly Fiona will be running to try & raise funds for the animals here & in Moscow & if anyone would be kind enough to sponsor her or collect sponsors on her behalf please contact her from the towerhill website. I have also knocked up a poster (a4) which if anyone has anywhere to display it to try & raise awareness I will be happy to mail you a soft copy. Mail me a private message if you would like one.

Cheers,

By the way - Ilfromaggio has raised over £1000 from selling his DVD's - there are sill loads left so mail him if you want any !!

Martin

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yay! for Fiona, and for Ilfrommagio, too! I'll have a poster, Yak.

gertvegan
Feb 4th, 2005, 01:51 PM
All being well, Fiona will be competing in the womens elite race at this years race. She will be targeting a top 20 position which will be an incredible achievement considering her workload with the animals. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to promote veganism to a wide audience. Grandstand have indicated that they want Fiona on their Saturday program on the day before the race !
Top 20, wow. That really would be an achievement and a half. I'll be tuning into to grandstand on the 16th April, and the marathon on the 17th for sure.

I sent Fiona a wee email, as it was she who inspired me into starting running. Fiona sent back a lovely reply, saying how proud she is to wear her vegan runners vest. Go marathon girl. :)

gertvegan
Mar 6th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yaksongs, how is Fiona's training going for the London marathon ? And can people sponsor her ?

I've read something about Fiona challenging Delia Smith and the entire Norwich City Football Team to a race to prove who has more life. Whats all that about ?

gertvegan
Mar 6th, 2005, 11:14 PM
If anyone just happens to be in London on April 17th, IlFromaggio and myself may well be meeting up to support Fiona in the London marathon, and then go for a bite to eat and a drop to drink afterwards, if you would care to join us. If so pm either of us.

Yaksongs
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Hi,

Yes Fiona would very much welcome sponsorship for her efforts in the London Marathon. Her training is in full swing at about 80 miles a week on top of all the animal work - completely ridiculous amount of effort.

She has about half a dozen sponsors so far.

Our biggest concern is injury or illness between now & the race, ao many car drivers seem to take pleasure in driving at her or gesticulating wildly that she should be on the other side of the road - some people are so ignorant when it comes to this. Some car driver actually turned round the other day to drive back & scream at her for not running on the pavement. How she is supposed to run on a pot holed pavement with overhanging trees at 10 mph+ God only knows.

Fiona can be mailed on fiona@towerhillstables.com with regard to sponsorship.

The Norwich Football thing was an idea suggested to Fiona by a chap who is helping with publicity - it isn't Fiona's idea ! - They have asked Fiona to race a marathon against the football team with them running as a relay - about 2/3 miles each - urmm & they're all blokes. Not sure personally if it's a good idea - mind you they would ALL have to run 6 minute miles to beat her which is tough - next time you get on a treadmill, set it to 16 kph & see how long you can stay there ! - personally I could do 200 meters. 26 miles at this pace is ludicrous

See you - Yaksongs

PS - I see there is a music thread on the forum - the album you clearly should be listening to is of course "Dark Side of the Duck" by Yak - 22 copies sold worldwide ! & nearly £300 raised for the animals at the Sanctuary ! details at www.yaksongs.com :)

gertvegan
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Click HERE (http://www.towerhillstables.com/News6.html) to read the Red(large Cockerel) and Yaksongs knee episode. Dated 3rd March. :eek:

Billy
Mar 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Yesterday Fiona Oakes, of Tower Hill Stables Animal Sanctuary, won the Brentwood Half Marathon for the 4th year in a row. Not bad, but even more impressive if you add two cracked ribs she ended up with 10 days ago. She wasn't even supposed to run! Mad woman she is!

On the 17th of April, Fiona will be running the London Marathon and sponsors are more than welcome, to raise much needed funds for the sanctuary. Please visit www.towerhillstables.com for the latest info and a sponsor form. For starters, new fencing is needed and with the amount of land and animals she's looking after that's a big and costly job! So don't go to the pub for one night (or do and take your sponsorship form!) and send a few pints of sponsorship money to Tower Hill Stables. All contributions much appreciated!

Yaksongs
Mar 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Fiona won the Brentwood Half Marathon for the 4th year in a row yesterday in 1 hour 19 minutes.

This is positive proof that being a Vegan is not prohibitive to performing at endurance sports.

Injury & Illness permitting, Fiona is now focusing on London April 17th. If you haven't already, please consider sponsoring her for this race - 100% to the rescued animals at the Sanctuary.

Fiona starts with the "elite" ladies and their "race" sets off half an hour ahead of the main race, the cameras (& commentators) have nothing else to focus on during this time - what a great opportunity to advertise the cause

gertvegan
Mar 24th, 2005, 08:03 PM
No excuses, an on-line form for those who would like to sponsor Fiona for the London Marathon on 17th April has been created. See HERE. (http://www.towerhillstables.com/london05.html) ;)

Spiral
Mar 24th, 2005, 11:20 PM
You've persuaded me gert. I have trouble running 26 yards, so anyone who runs 26 miles has my admiration.

gertvegan
Mar 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM
New arrival to the sanctuary Bunty the pony, is now proud Mum to Kosmatushka, or Kosma for short, see here. (http://www.towerhillstables.com/Kosma.html) :D

gertvegan
Apr 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
You've persuaded me gert. I have trouble running 26 yards, so anyone who runs 26 miles has my admiration.Nice one *M*.

Theres still time to sponsor Fiona in the London marathon a week tomorrow. Check down the back of the sofa, the pockets of your jacket, I'm sure all monies will be gratefully received by one and all of the animals at the sanctuary. The online sponsor form is here. (http://www.towerhillstables.com/london05.html)

Aurora
Apr 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Just done it! :)

gertvegan
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:23 PM
12th April, www.towerhillstables.com

This Summers members open day will be on Sunday 12th June from Noon. If you are a member or supporter of the Sanctuary you should have received an e mail about this in the last few days. I did however get quite a few 'bounces'! If you did not get the mail, please let me know as it could be that your message was one of the bounces or I don't have an e e-mail address for you at all ! Thank you - FionaMaybe see one or two of you there. :)

gertvegan
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Theres an article on the PETA (http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/fionaOakes.asp) website about Fiona and her running. :)

Billy
Apr 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Just checked the marathon website for results and it says that Fiona's time was 2:49:56, which is absolutely fantastic!!!! It didn't really say what place that gave her tho, as there are so many different categories. Oh well nevermind, WELL DONE FIONA!!!!

gertvegan
Apr 18th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Just checked the marathon website for results and it says that Fiona's time was 2:49:56, which is absolutely fantastic!!!! It didn't really say what place that gave her tho, as there are so many different categories. Oh well nevermind, WELL DONE FIONA!!!!Aye up are Billy. A few of us went along today. Got there early to find a good position before they were all taken, waited for an hour and a half for Fiona to appear, and within seconds she had flown by.

I think she was 30th out of 7990 women(as far as I can understand the reults), which is Briiiiilllllllliiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt! :D

Gorilla
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:47 AM
yay!!! :D nice one Fiona!!