PDA

View Full Version : Boots vegan sandwich

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Manimal
Aug 7th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Doh ! Just read previous page and this has already been posted.... sorry just woke up *yawn* @_@

cornishdreadhead
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Me and Corum love Cornwall and try and visit at least once a year:)

Oooh, what part do u usually visit? :bigsmile:

aubergine
Aug 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I went to Boots today and found a different vegan sandwich which made a nice change to that Bugsy one :). I got the Thin Lizzy which is smoked tofu, chilli jam, sprouted seeds & rocket. It was very nice also.

Best sandwich ever. Well at least best pre packaged sandwich.

Gorilla
Aug 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I went to Boots today and found a different vegan sandwich which made a nice change to that Bugsy one :). I got the Thin Lizzy which is smoked tofu, chilli jam, sprouted seeds & rocket. It was very nice also.

that sounds very much like the one i'm eating right now, only mine's called Old Smokey. :confused: i got it from Infinity Foods rather than Boots. it's tres bien. :)

i want to try this one:

Tofu Snofu: Tofu, Hoi Sin Sauce, Grated Carrot, Raw Red Peppers & Coriander.

they still haven't replied to my email about their Saucy Sausage packaging. :undecided:

RachelJune
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mine have always been good. Shocked to hear they freeze them though - was this from Boots RachelJune? Is this common practice? I would not have thought they would freeze well at all.

Yep, I get mine from Boots in Leeds. It's often been very frozen when I started to eat it, I've had to let it thaw for a while. It's a shame, as those Boots Meal Deals are quite good value.

Last time we got two of them, one each, and I complained that it smelt funny when I opened it. We both took a first bite and spat it out at exactly the same time. I guess at least it wasn't frozen! :eek:

Gorilla
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
yuk! did you take it back, Rachel?

RachelJune
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Certainly did!

Btw, anyone else noticed Boots doing their own version of the carrot and homous sandwich? The ingredients look vegan, but haven't tried it yet.

Orange-powered
Aug 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've had the bugsy sandwich a few times and it tasted fine and the tofu one as well but I liked that less - im not into smoked tofu really. I try not to buy from boots anymore unless its an emergency, come to think of it I'm trying not to buy sndwiches etc at all anymore, got to save the pennies!

sugarmouse
Aug 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yep, I get mine from Boots in Leeds. It's often been very frozen when I started to eat it, I've had to let it thaw for a while. It's a shame, as those Boots Meal Deals are quite good value.

Last time we got two of them, one each, and I complained that it smelt funny when I opened it. We both took a first bite and spat it out at exactly the same time. I guess at least it wasn't frozen! :eek:

Why, what was wrong with them RachelJune?
I guess boots are putting their fridges too cold..I know my local deli does that aswell, tis anoying.

bexi
Aug 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Certainly did!

Btw, anyone else noticed Boots doing their own version of the carrot and homous sandwich? The ingredients look vegan, but haven't tried it yet.

Yeah I noticed that... what copy cats lol :p. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure their version isn't vegan. I think I checked the ingredients and it contained egg or milk or something...

When I was visiting london the other day I found a Fresh "Tastes of Provence" cous cous salad in a Tesco store. It was really nice - had little roasted veggie kebabs in it. On the website this one is just listed as vegetarian but the packet clearly said it was vegan. Can't get the Fresh! salads and things up north where I live so 'twas quite a novelty for me :D.

brucie-g
Aug 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I have had these sandwiches a few times, and I do like them, my fave being the tofu one.
I know that boots isn't a terribly ethical company, however, on the flipside, the more people buy such vegan items, the more likely they may introduce more of them.
It could mean that a person going in to buy a chicken sandwich might just be tempted to try a vegan alternative instead.

sugarmouse
Aug 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I know, this is the conflict I have inmyhead.
Wal-mart (asda here) sell them too.
I am not going to shop there, I dont want give them my money BUT at the same time I am glad they are making a vegan food product available to the mainstream and thus acceptable , breaking the boundries between 'normal' ignorant shoppers and those who think about what they consume.

BlackCats
Aug 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I have had these sandwiches a few times, and I do like them, my fave being the tofu one.
I know that boots isn't a terribly ethical company, however, on the flipside, the more people buy such vegan items, the more likely they may introduce more of them.
It could mean that a person going in to buy a chicken sandwich might just be tempted to try a vegan alternative instead.

That is exactly what I was discussing with another VF person yesterday. I started to boycott certain shops when I first turned vegan but I am not going to boycott these companies anymore. I wasn't being at all consistent with my shopping choices either.:rolleyes: I don't think it makes sense to boycott as the more demand they have for vegan items the more they will make them. I think I will draw the line at buying any vegan food from McD's though. :rolleyes: Just my personal opinion anyway.:)

brucie-g
Aug 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I think I will draw the line at buying any vegan food from McD's though.

My sentiments exactly!

derwenna
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I noticed the other day that Boots now have a vegan salad, it was butternut squash and bulghur wheat with harrissa dressing.

Gorilla
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM
i want to try this one:

Tofu Snofu: Tofu, Hoi Sin Sauce, Grated Carrot, Raw Red Peppers & Coriander.

i have tried it now, and it's really good. i think my favourite's the Full of Falafels. :)

they still haven't replied to my email about their Saucy Sausage packaging. :undecided:

never got a reply. bah. :rolleyes:

cornishdreadhead
Sep 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wal-mart (asda here) sell them too.

Yeah man, the asda near me sells such a wicked range of vegan products! Yumyumyuymyum :D

talknerdytome
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
They sell these on my campus, and always have a really good range, including the salads. I was so chuffed when I found them all over University!

xwitchymagicx
Feb 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hm tehy ahve a lot of vegan sarnies on that webby...only ever since beetroot, carrot and tofu one. But it is cool that they make them. :D Obv I don't eat em b/c I'm gluten free buttt, shame they don't have that doodling salad which is vegan and gluten free. lol

Rice Noodles with Tofu, Carrots, Sweet Corn, Spinach & Hoi Sin Sauce. NO MAYO!

Altho could make that myself. LOL

Gorilla
Mar 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
i found a Fresh Organics sandwich i haven't had before, reduced to 75p in Boots in Eastbourne of all places :cool: it's called Nuts in May and contains guacamole, pepper, pine nuts, caramelised onion and rocket, really nice.

i got a little confused though because they seem to have changed their colour schemes on the labels - i'm sure the vegan ones always used to be orange, i was about to pick up a orange one but it was tuna! :confused:

Sloth
Mar 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
...it's called Nuts in May and contains guacamole, pepper, pine nuts, caramelised onion and rocket, really nice.

I found this sandwich recently too! I keep going to get another but they seem to run out of this particular one so quickly...

Marrers
Mar 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I saw a new seasonal sarnie today called Big Red! (5p goes to Comic Relief).
It's organic falafel with chilli & ginger salsa and salad. It was okay, nothing special imo. Wish I'd got Nuts In May which I think is nicer.

cxmnz
Mar 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Nuts in May is good, but did anyone else find it a bit messy? I made a complete numpty of myself eating it at work. Will have to check out the falafel one next time I forget to take any lunch in.

VeganMonkey
Mar 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Just tried 'Nuts in May'. Cxmnz - I found it held together better than the other 'Fresh' varieties actually - still have a food free desk! That's the nicest variety by a long way in my opinion. I always think they don't taste as good as they sound - normally the bread is either soggy (with the tofu one) or too dry (with the carrot one). Just call me Goldilocks!....

Spud Addict
Mar 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
^ Hmmm might try that one. I really really want to try the one that's got veggie sausage in it but I haven't found it yet. :(