PDA

View Full Version : jerusalem artichokes

Melanie
Nov 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hullo all ^-^
I have a little question for anyone that might know...
...how the heck do you cook jerusalem artichokes? :confused:
I just bought a load from the shop as they were cheap and looked interesting and I am now at a loss! :rolleyes:
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! :D
Love Melanie
~xx

howdawg
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Hey Melanie! Jerusalem artichokes are delicious! You basically use them like a potato, but they cook quite a bit faster so be careful... You can mash them, use them in soups, etc... Good luck!

Melanie
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Ohhh! Okay! Thanks very much :)
I shall try to cook them for dinner tomorrow night, I hope it goes well! :D
~xx

Risker
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I bought one in spain and didn't know what to do with it... artichoke heart I thought, obviously you just eat the heart, so I started pulling the leaves off from round the outside. End result - Big pile of artichoke leaves.

http://www.ehow.com/how_426_cook-artichokes.html

Smoothie
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:29 PM
i make potatosoup with jerusalem artiscokes. really delicious

Melanie
Nov 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM
-Is currently fighting the urge to run downstairs and start cooking them-
I must restrain myself, it's half ten at night.
-Nods-
~xx

Melanie
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
I did this with them; http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Spikey555/?action=view&current=DSC06195.jpg

Risker
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
That looks really good :)

Melanie
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
That looks really good :)

As I said, i'm not much of a cook so... unfortunately... the frying pan was my friend on this occaison :D

~xx

Risker
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Are those cauldron falafels? and... asda cutlets?

Whenever I've tried photographing my food it's always looked terrible even if it looked good irl.

Just realised I've been silly thinking that jerusalem artichokes are the same as normal artichokes.

howdawg
Dec 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Wow that looks delicious Melanie! How'd you like them?

Risker, it's a very very common mistake :).. Why would something called an artichoke, be an artichoke?

Melanie
Dec 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Are those cauldron falafels? and... asda cutlets?

Whenever I've tried photographing my food it's always looked terrible even if it looked good irl.

Just realised I've been silly thinking that jerusalem artichokes are the same as normal artichokes.
They're cauldron falafels but they're not asda cutlets (they put peppers in theirs which just doesn't agree with me), they're 'goodlife' ones I belieeeeeve.:cool:

They were nice, howdawg, very different to other stuff that i've tried but I did enjoy them :D