PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Tulsa, Oklahoma???

Klutz
Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm going back to the States for a week around the Xmas holiday. My first time being back since going vegan and am a little nervous about how my parents will take it. (I'll be staying with them.) Would love to have someone point me to a nice vegan restaurant I could take them to so that they can see for themselves how yummy vegan food is. They aren't anti-vegan, just a bit disbelieving that anyone could be happy in this "lifestyle". :) My mom will be very willing to try vegan food and my father is suspicious of food in general, so it doesn't matter whether or not it's vegan.

cedarblue
Dec 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
and my father is suspicious of food in general

im afraid im not in tulsa but i was interested in what you mean about your dad. can you tell?

Klutz
Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:56 AM
My dad is convinced that there are things in food that are out to get him. I don't mean that in a crazy way, though it sure sounds like it; I know. He's extremely picky about what he'll eat because he'll only eat what he considers to have the maximum benefit to his body. There is not much he'll eat and he scrutinizes ingredients labels as carefully as a vegan would. He is very much into cycling and so very interested in his "health". Actually, it's not just his family that tells him he looks like a walking skeleton and he has had doctors try to explain to him why zero fat is not really what he should be aiming for. But, he does look better nowadays (from what I can see on the webcam anyway), so he must have found a doctor that he trusts. I know he sounds like a good person to convert to veganism, if one could just get him to really see that eating animals is not the most healthful thing he could be eating. However, since I don't actually live there, I'm not comfortable with doing that. I'd be afraid that he'd get even more radical and stricter and what he eats and end up really damaging his health. If I lived there and could go through it with him step by step and personally make sure that he was still eating properly, I'd SO work on converting him.

cedarblue
Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
ah, i see what you mean.
i think there is definitely a point at which being careful and sensible about health and food can tip over into almost obsession. we all need some body fat to keep us warm and provide energy at times.

sorry to have hijacked your original thread :o

MrsHanson
Dec 10th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I can only think of one...if it's still open. If you're looking also to just cook, Wild Oats is the best grocery store for vegans.

Be Le Vegetarian Restaurant
6634 S Lewis Ave

Menu states that restaurant is dedicated to providing healthy, meatless vegetarian food that is low in fat and cholesterol. No MSG, alcohol, preservatives or eggs used. Seat-substitutes are made from soybeans, seaweed, and yams. Brown rice available.

PainterLady
Dec 10th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Vegetarian Restaurants: (1 listing)

Be Le Vegetarian Restaruant
6634 S Lewis Ave, Tulsa, Oklahoma (74136) (at 71st St, South Tulsa)
918-499-1414
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Vietnamese, Take-out

Menu states that restaurant is dedicated to providing healthy, meatless vegetarian food that is low in fat and cholesterol. No MSG, alcohol, preservatives or eggs used. Seat-substitutes are made from soybeans, seaweed, and yams. Brown rice available.

Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Restaurants: (7 listings)

Ri Le's

4932 E 91st St
496-2126
This is the best Tulsa has to offer. The owner Ri Le (ree-lay) is a vegan. There is a small vegetarian section on the menu, but Ri Le will prepare special dishes upon request. Try the soy dishes, which aren't on the menu but are very popular: sesame soy, strawberry soy, pineapple soy, and ginger soy are all wonderful. Veggie egg rolls and imperial rolls are also available. $10

Saffron Coffee Food Art (http://www.saffroncoffeefoodart.com/)
1148 S Harvard Ave
It is locally owned, has good coffee (soymilk is available for 40 cents) and a fairly decent menu of soups and sandwiches (it is similar to Panera). The best part is that vegetarian items are marked with an asterisk and vegan items are marked with two asterisks, so you can quickly see what to order without having to play twenty questions with the waitstaff. Vegan items include the Saffron Special, which is a veggie sandwich with hummus and avocado sauce, and comes with chips and salsa. There is also a rumor that there are some "secret" items, such as vegan muffins, that are not listed on the menu. $3 - $6

Panera (formerly St Louis Bread) (http://www.panerabread.com/) (http://www.panerabread.com/)
8 Tulsa area locations
Several soups are offered each day and at least one, usually two, are vegan and/or vegetarian. Salads, minus the cheese, can usually be made vegan. Panera also offers a veggie sandwich which can be made vegan. Most locations keep an ingredients book near the cash register so be sure to ask about specific menu items if you have questions. $5 - $10

The Wild Fork (http://www.wildfork.com/) (http://www.wildfork.com/)
1820 Utica Square
742-0712
Very pleasant atmosphere. If you like lentils, this is the place to eat. Good lentil soup and a lentil salad that is large enough for an entree. Ask them to hold the cheese on both. $10 - $20

Big Al's
15th & Harvard
744-5085
Clean and well lit, you can see the food being prepared. They have a vegan burger, a bean burrito, and many other items that can be made vegan. $5 - $10

Cafe Ole
3509 S Peoria
745-6699
Mexican decor, clean but crowded. Avocado sandwich (hold the bacon and mayo) served with black beans (hold the sour cream). Skilly burrito - large whole wheat tortilla wrap with black beans and rice, served with fresh fiesta salad. $7 - $10

Atomic Burrito
71st & Garnett
Veggie burritos, tacos, and mexican veggie salad can all be easily made vegan. Be sure to ask about meat items in the refried beans, black beans, and the rice. Sometimes they're okay for vegetarians, sometimes not. It seems to change occasionally. You can get the veggie specialty burrito or make your own (small, regular, or large on wheat, spinach, tomato, or flour tortilla). Atomic Burrito also features several unique salsas, made fresh daily. $5 - $7

Health Food Stores: (4 Listings)

Akins Natural Foods Market
3321 E 31st St, Tulsa, Oklahoma (74115) (at Harvard)
918-742-6630 **Organic produce and vitamins. **

Akins Natural Foods Market
7807 E 51st St, Tulsa, Oklahoma (74135)
918-663-4137
Organic produce and vitamins.

Natural Farms Market
420 S Utica, Tulsa, Oklahoma (74104)
918-583-5354
Natural and organic food products. Accept credit cards.

Wild Oats Market (http://www.happycow.net/linked/clickmanager.cgi?dl=http://www.wildoats.com)
1401 E 41st St, Tulsa, Oklahoma (74105)
918-712-7555
Part of natural foods supermarket chain featuring deli, vitamins and supplements, organic produce, juices, care products, grocery, and more. Open daily.

agjackson
Jan 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is Big Al's still open?