PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Madeira Cake?

Moto
Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know of a recipe for Madeira cake that is vegan? It's the one thing I really miss (especially at New Year) and haven't been able to find a recipe. :( Any help/ suggestions would be very much appreciated.:)

fiamma
Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
What do you mean by Madeira cake exactly? Just a sponge cake or is there something special about it? I have heard the term Madeira cake, I'm just not sure what makes them different from other sponge cakes.

cedarblue
Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
as far as i know madeira cake, so called as it comes from madeira funnily enough, is a much denser, tight cake than just a sponge cake.

i havent found one as yet..... :(

perhaps if you made a regular vegan plain sponge a little drier with less liquid it may tighten up and be firmer when cooked? or dont whisk it up too much?

Poison Ivy
Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
There's a recipe here (http://www.vegcountry.com/recipes/vegan-poundcake.html) for a vegan pound cake as from what I can gather pound cake is the americanised term for Madeira cake:)

(don't know what it's like, as I haven't made it, it's just what I found after a quick google:) )

Moto
Dec 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Maderia cake is a lighter, lemony cake. They are usually made with a lot of eggs, which I think makes it so light. I'll give the pound cake recipe a try. Thanks! :)

piggy
Dec 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I don't know whether this is precisely the type of cake you're looking for..but it definitely is a moist, lemony type of cake:)

Lemon cake

Ingredients:
185g (1.5 cup) flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
200g brown sugar, or more if you like it sweeter
1 pinch of salt
6 tbsp. sunflower oil
juice of one lemon
grated peel of 2 lemons
1 tsp. vanilla essence
240 ml cold water

How to Prepare:

1. preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
2. put flour, lemon peel, baking soda, sugar & salt in bowl and mix
3. add oil, lemon juice and vanilla essence
4. gradually pour the water over, wile mixing all together till smooth. don't worry if it seems too liquid..it's supposed to be like that
5. pour in greased cake pan and bake for about 30 min.

PainterLady
Dec 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Is this the same as "angel food cake". I love and miss it too, but it is made with mostly eggs. I wonder if this is the same cake. :confused: :p

Veryblue2
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM
2 tbsp. baking powder

Sounds tasty! Is it definitely 2 tablebspoons of baking powder though? Seems like a lot.... or is it that what makes it light?

piggy
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM
it is 2 tablespoons! even more can't hurt..because the baking powder replaces the eggs' rising function.

Veryblue2
Dec 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks piggy! A great one to make with that tub of baking powder before it goes out of date! :D

PainterLady
Dec 12th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Make sure there is no aluminum in your baking soda, this can distort the taste if you add too much. It also is not good for you.