PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Pudding

Ruby Soho
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Sorry if this question has appeared somewhere else (I did a search and no results were found).

This will be my first vegan christmas, I have everything else regarding Christmas Dinner sorted but am having trouble locating a vegan Christmas Pudding. Does anyone know of any brands that are vegan friendly???

Thanks in advance!!

snaffler
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
If you are really stuck Ruby me ol Mate I can post you one up as the Health Food Shop in Frome sale them every year otherwise here is an easy recipe Vegan Xmas Pudding (http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/xmaspud.htm)

By the way you are far to organised :D xmas it's not even Halloween yet :)

Ruby Soho
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks Snaff, have you tried the recipe you posted, is it any good (by good I mean moist - can't be doing with a dry christmas pud - 'tis just not cricket!! :D ).

I have e-mailed a few places on the suitability of their Christmas Puddings for vegans - unfortunately they seem to be dragging their feet a bit - hey-ho - sure they'll respond sometime!!

snaffler
Oct 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
never tried it myself sorry I found them all a bit like eating breeze blocks but softer on the teeth :rolleyes: I would rather opt for a massive piece of Choc vegan fudge cake and two scoops of soya icecream :D.

I can check out the ones at our health food shop for you when they land.

harpy
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:12 PM
The Village Bakery do one:

http://www.village-bakery.com/gfcp.htm

I think I've bought this (or something similar as it's "completely new") in the past but I can't remember what it was like. Most Village Bakery stuff is pretty good though I find.

They do mail order but this kind of thing often turns up in health food shops in the run up to Christmas.

gertvegan
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Even Holland and Barrett will sell these or similar.

Gorilla
Oct 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM
i seem to remember having a bit of trouble getting a vegan Christmas pudding last year (my first vegan Christmas). i ended up going for a plum pudding from my independent health food shop which wasn't too impressive and more like bread pudding whereas i was looking for a more traditional black gooey pudding.

i think my mum managed to get me a single serving size one from somewhere like Holland & Barrett, so as gert says i'm sure they'll have some this year. i expect some supermarkets will have some vegan own-brand puddings, and i know that Dr Hadwen are selling one through their mail-order catalogue.

Cloudy
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Co-Op do them as well

Ruby Soho
Oct 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Tesco are 'looking into the matter' and will get back to me when they have further information.

Sainsburys, Asda and Somerfield have not responded (yet?!?).

Ruby Soho
Oct 6th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Have just received an e-mail from Somerfield stating that unfortunately none of the Christmas Puddings they supply are suitable for vegans.

Popped down to my local co-op who have just got them in and their luxury christmas pudding is so - problem solved!!

Many thanks to everyone who replied!! :D

Kevster
Oct 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Aye co-op and the Dr Hadwen Trust was selling them last year too. Funnily it is the cheap ones that are vegan and the luxurious ones have the dairy,

(or not then if this year's vegan puds are different)

Cloudy
Oct 6th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Co op has been doing them for years

They were also one of the first places to label their foods vegan as well

Ruby Soho
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Had a reply back from Tesco, they will NOT be selling any Christmas Puddings suitable for Vegans this year.

Also all sizes of Asda own brand christmas pud are also suitable for vegans.

cedarblue
Nov 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM
i am looking for a specific vegan pudding...it needs to be dark but nut-free because of nut allergy!!

guess i will try making my own - the vegan village one snaffler suggested earlier :) (leaving out the almonds though!)

hmmm, may check out the asda ones for nut-free-ness though :rolleyes:

cedarblue
Nov 6th, 2004, 07:50 AM
i am making puddings today - is it the stout that makes them dark? or black treacle?????

urgent :eek:

Ruby Soho
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I think its the black treacle, when it is an ingredient in parkin, christmas cake etc they are always a dark brown with a slightly bitter taste as opposed to a golden brown colour if the black treacle is omitted!!!

cedarblue
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:07 PM
thanks ruby.

i used black treacle, dark muscovado sugar, stout/guinness to make it dark in the end. i have to leave mix overnight and steam for 8hrs(!) tomorrow.

will let you know :)

Ruby Soho
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Mmmmm, goody, bet it smells fab - make the house smell all Christmassy when it cooks :D

cedarblue
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM
oooops, cedar has just been informed by the vegan police(!) nee nah nee nah that guinness is not vegan :(
but stout is! :) she is going to find out which ones are and make some more.....*sigh*

gertvegan
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
cedars, Samual Smiths' Extra Stout, Imperial Stout from Pitfield Brewery, and English Guineas 5.3% Stout from Linfit Brewery are vegan according to the online animal free shopper. ;)

cedarblue
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM
cedars, Samual Smiths' Extra Stout, Imperial Stout from Pitfield Brewery, and English Guineas 5.3% Stout from Linfit Brewery are vegan according to the online animal free shopper. ;)

*doffs cap* thank-ee my dear ;)