PDA

View Full Version : Tuno

jamboxrock
Dec 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I've been keeping an eye out for Tuno, and my grocery store finally had it today! It's the frozen kind though...any tips on defrosting and preparation? I searched this forum and read some stuff about rinsing it first, but I assume that was for the canned kind. I'm hoping to have a tuno melt for lunch tomorrow, very excited.

howdawg
Dec 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
The frozen stuff, I just put it in the fridge and let it thaw overnight, and then mix it up with a little vegan mayonnaise and whatever else you want :) I hope you like it!

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I've never had the frozen kind. Please tell us what you think. I often make vegan macaroni and cheese mixed with a can or 2 of tuno and it tastes exactly like tuna helper! I love it. It's prime hillbilly fare. :)

jamboxrock
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
It worked out pretty well. I let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then mixed with vegannaise & relish. It kinda freaked me out at first, cause it does look and taste almost just like tuna. And now my hands smell like it even though I've washed them three times since. It was good though, I was impressed rather than disappointed like I thought I'd be. So I'm thinking it'll be a now-and-then treat. I think I'm going to try a casserole next. Yay!

Tigerlily
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I never ever liked tuna when I was an omnivore. I didn't like any seafood. But lately I've been having the weirdest craving for some fishy foods. :confused: I might keep an eye out and look for this Tuno stuff.

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:31 PM
...or vegan sushi Tigerlily! Maybe you need something from the sea. Seaweed would help you and is vegan. :)

Tigerlily
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I don't find veg sushi fishy enough.

howdawg
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Tuno is DEFINITELY fishy!

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM
well, yah, it might "taste" fishy, but tuno is not from the sea. I was thinking her body might need something, some minerals and the essence that only comes directly from the sea. Seaweed is a great source for this. She may physically NEED to eat some seaweed. She may need selenium and iodine and seaweed is a good source of selenium and iodine. She may be craving for a reason not just a taste is what I'm saying. :)

Tigerlily
Dec 8th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Maybe but I sort of don't believe in the "craving what we need" thing. :o