PDA

View Full Version : Cream of tomato soup

piggy
Dec 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I made this a few weeks ago:

pureed LOTS of tomatoes in a food processor
put the puree in a big pot, and kept it cooking at low heat for 1,5 hrs
added water every now and then
after about 45 min i added some olive oil, lots of salt, pepper, fresh basil leaves
when it was just about ready i added some chopped spring onion, and vegan cream, stirred it in, and served it. voila'!
delicious with toast & marge

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Thank you Piggy! This sounds warm and wonderful!!! I love Tomato soup and Grilled Cheeze Sandwiches! I'll have to try this soon! :p

Risker
Dec 7th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Does it really need an hour and a half? That seems a very long time. Also, did you skin the tomatoes or use the whole thing?

PainterLady
Dec 7th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Good questions Risker. Thanks :)

piggy
Dec 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
i used whle tomatoes, without skinning them. I know that usually one skins and seeds tomatoes for making soup. i chose to put them through the food processor instead, so that the soup would still be smooth.

1,5 hrs is approximate, but as far as i'm concerned, tomato soup can't cook for long enough, probably at least an hour i'd think... as long as you add water every time it densens up, you can hardly go wrong.:D

sugarmouse
Dec 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I suppose it goes with the notion that cooked tomatoes are better for us than raw!
Thankyuo piggy I am going to try that!

cedarblue
Dec 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
sounds nice piggy.

im not trying to hijack the thread but the title reminded me of a recipe i saw yesterday on a nigella bites prog.

'in a hurry' tomato & rice soup

put a jar of tomato sauce (looked like a pasta sauce) in saucepan
pout some boiling water over the top
add some basmatic rice
let it simmer till the rice is soft

it looked really gloopy and nice.
i would probably add some vegan parmezano on top!

sorry - back to you piggy! :)

piggy
Dec 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
seems a bit like a tomato risotto

cedarblue
Dec 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
you're probably right - looked tasty all the same.

Risker
Dec 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I decided to make some after reading your post. I made a lazy version though and used a tin of peeled plum tomatoes, liquidised it, added a little olive oil, some salt and some water and cooked it for about 20 minutes. Worked out quite well.

piggy
Dec 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
cool! someone made my recipe!!!!:cool: :D
without the cream is's more like a tomato pasta sauce though...try it with the cream next time!!:p
anyway, you have to admit, it's a perfect, no-fuss, easy recipe for students :p