PDA

View Full Version : Favourite book as a child

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Helen_Edwards
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I devoured anything by Enid Blyton, and before that the Mr Men books.
Wow, Chicken Licken & Mrs Pepperpot - that stirs some long-untouched memories!

terrace max
Jun 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM
All the Moomin books. Moominpappa at Sea is still better than most of the 'adult' books I've read. Which isn't many.

I also loved the Ant & Bee books by Angela Banner - but I doubt if anyone else has heard of them...

Two of my children are obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine so if anyone has any questions about any of the finer textual or semantic details I'm something of an expert. Interestingly, the US versions of the books refer to 'Sir Topham Hatt' and never 'the Fat Controller'...

Seaside
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I forgot Alice in Wonderland and Through the Lookinglass.

adam antichrist
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
As an infant I loved Little Golden Books. My favourites were one about firemen and another called 'the pokey little puppy', who ran away on an advernture and when he came home his mother gave him chocolate pudding, which looked delicious.
When I learned to read I loved the mister men, hysterical!

A bit older I found the "Williard Price Adventure Series" about these two boys whose dad was a 'naturalist'. They travelled the world saving animals and solving the odd mystery.

I also read much of the CS Lewis series, as a Christian it was 'allowed' and a bit less offensive than the bible (from memory they don't talk about killing babies on gods behalf), although they still have similar mind control effects on young readers... however other young readers may not have been subject to the type of adult educators I was who did all they could to warp my mind!

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
when i was little my favourite book was Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.
i loved that book.

That's what I was going to say too. It's my earliest memory of being read to in bed by my Mum, I've still got the book. :) I also loved:

The Worst Witch books
Grimm's Fairytales
Which Witch?
The Little Vampire
Alice in Wonderland
The Wind in the Willows
Colin Dann's books (Farthing Wood, King of the Vagabonds etc)
Watership Down

I loved practically anything with either witches, vampires, monsters, dragons or talking animals. Not much has changed. :D

Aurora
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:55 AM
OH! BEatrix Potter! How could I forget Amanda Puddle Duck and Peter Rabbit! Peter was my favorite. I understood why he had to get at those cabbages and carrots... :)

We visited a house last Saturday where Beatrix Potter used to stay frequently. There were original, one off paintings on the wall and the original Amanda Puddleduck fluffy toy in a glass cabinet.

My favourite book was Secret Garden, but I also used to read all the Famous Five and Secret Seven books.

DoveInGreyClothing
Jul 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
Ooh, this thread brings back memories! I loved Colin Dann's animal stories, The Animals Of Farthing Wood etc, also Jean Ure's Sebastian books.

Steph
Jul 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM
The Little Matchgirl. I remember my mom reading this story to me when I was around 5, I would cry my eyes out and look up at her and she just looked me in the eyes and nodded her head. So sad but true :(

Mija
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Matilda by Roald Dahl - so beautiful even for grown-ups :)

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
With all of this hype about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I think I want to read it again :D I could just pretend it's all vegan chocolate and candy!

Yoggy
Jul 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
All time favorites, however, has to be the Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey. These are the children stories that accompany the adult series of Dragon riders of Pern. I've read them to pieces, and now my son is as well.

OMG I LOVE the Harper Hall Trilogy too! Well, not so much Dragondrums, because it wasn't about Menolly! But I've read Dragonsinger about the fifty times. I used to daydream about meeting Master Robinton....:o I also liked A Gift of Dragons, a collection of short stories about Pern.

And Roxy, I just LOVED The Folk of the Faraway Tree too! I read it about ten times, then it got lost in a move :(.

Some of my other childhood favourites were the Little Critter books and The Berenstein Bears. And the kids' version of Heidi.

When I was a little older, I started reading Sweet Valley Twins. A favourite book of mine in the eighth grade was Dare.

But definitely the Harper Hall trilogy were my favourite books of all time, evidenced by the fact that I'm 23 and still reading them :o.

maya
Jul 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I loved The red balloon by Albert Lamorisse.
Any Pippi Longstocking book.
When I was really young Curious George

Maya

kimmyk
Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:21 AM
I loved the giving tree. :)

Gary Parsons
Sep 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM

celtic rose
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
Up until I was about 10 I used to love to read Enid Blyton books. "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" and "The Wishing Chair" were my absolute favourites and I read them over and over again!
Don't forget "The Enchanted Wood"

screamingcarrot
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
sorry, i cant pick just one... :(

i loved 'the folk of the faraway tree', 'the neverending story', 'a warm fuzzy tale' and 'where the wild things are'..
also all the peter rabbit books!

:)

Gliondrach
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Mainly the Victor and Valiant comics.
Commando magazine.
Various Biggles books, by W.E. Johns.
Dracula, by Bram Stoker.
Existentialism and Human Emotions, by Jean-Paul Sartre.
Phenomenology and Existentialism, by Richard Zaner.
On The Genealogy of Morals, by Friedrich Nietzsche.
Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology and Religious Belief, by Ludwig Wittgenstein.
Critique of Pure Reason, by Immanuel Kant.
Current Issues in Linguistic Theory, by Noam Chomsky.

twinkle
Sep 21st, 2005, 06:57 PM
Anne of Green Gables by LM Mongomery (and all the Anne books after that one)
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (and all the following ones)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh (I loved most books where children got involved in magic)
which reminds me - Magic in My Pocket by Alison Uttley
and Wise Child by Monica Furlong - both beautiful books.

I could go on for pages, really. I was an only child, and spent a lot of time reading, and re-reading books.

Stormypagan
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Well, I have a several favorite current children's books that I read to my son hehehe!! (sorry slightly changing the title of this thread as they aren't my fav books as a child but never the less worth a mention) These are three of the best at our house that he loves as well as me <grin> ...

Herb the vegetarian dragon by Jules Bass and Debbie Harter. This is about a dragon that would rather grow veggies than eat people/animals, and what he went through because of those who were against him :0(. Really sweet story.

The Story of the little mole who knew it was none of his business by Werner Holzwarth and Wolf Erlbruch. This is about a mole who got pooed on hehehe, and very annoyed he went to ask all the other animals who could have done it, until he found out who did it!! Then gets his revenge!! Very funny story <grin>

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1856024407.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Would you rather .. by John Burningham. This is a story that poses several bizzare questions with silly pictures, and then the child has to chose. Some not so nice choices in it but still funny to a child. It is a great one for reading with a child :0)

Anyway, there are loads more lovely stories for children but that's three of my favs hehehe

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

LittleNellColumbia
Sep 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM
I loved it wen my grade 1 teacher read me The Far-away Tree. It was so magical!

Roxy
Sep 21st, 2005, 08:08 PM
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (and all the following ones)
Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh (I loved most books where children got involved in magic)

I could go on for pages, really. I was an only child, and spent a lot of time reading, and re-reading books.

Anne of Green Gables.......hmmmmm........I am going to Prince Edward Island next summer (that's where the author used to live). From what I've read Anne of Green Gables is a very big touristy thing there. I guess I should read the books, so I know what it's all about. We also have the DVD's at work. Maybe I will rent them too.

tipsytop
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:10 PM
I used to love the Famous Five books - I wanted to be George (I was a tom boy) and I thought Anne was a wuss.

Does anyone remember the Topsy & Tim books? When I was little I used to love them - there was one where they went in a motorbike sidecar... memories!

Gliondrach
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM

I remember hearing the Carbonel story on the radio when I was a nipper. I can't recall what it was about but I do know that it involved magic. I have always remembered that name.

I actually read some children's books a few years ago. There are five of them and they are called 'The Dark Is Rising'. They are really quite good - all about magic and the battle of the Light against the Dark. By Susan Cooper.

Plunder Bunnie
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:32 PM
When i was little my favorite books were the critters books, and books like "no no nicky", "The very hungry caterpillar", "Amanda's dinosaur", "Are you my mommy", and classics like that. (i still like no no nicky...)
When i was about 9 or 10 i read jack londons, call of the wild, and thought it was super amazing!!! Still love him even tho the savagry isnt very realistic.

abrennan
Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Well Really Mr Twiddle by Enid Blyton