PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cheesecake

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Mr Flibble
Nov 24th, 2005, 09:37 AM
you really just need an asian mini-mart/deli and fresh ingredients.

I live in one of the cities in the UK with a large asian population and I hafta say, these places don't really exist ;)

I have a chinese supermarket close to me, but it's just as crappy and tacky as a normal supermarket. Rows upon rows of ready made sauces. The fact they are imported and don't have english writting on doesn't impress me, nor does it a malaysian girl I know, who thinks it must be a front for a money launderying business! They have a few things I can't get elsewhere, but it's definately not a deli.

DianeVegan
Nov 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replies! :)

flojo
Nov 25th, 2005, 04:12 AM
oh well! suppose the book isn't for everyone then! it works great for me. i'll consider myself lucky to have a gread mini-mart nearby and access to the other ingredients. cheers for your info :)

DianeVegan
Nov 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
i can also recommend 'Everyday Vegan' - Burton, the more-ish brownies are the best i've ever tasted, honestly, i ended up making them four times in a fortnight!
Arrgghhh. I was so excited about the brownies because I have the Everyday Vegan book. Except it's by Atchison, not Burton! No brownies. :(

Mr Flibble
Nov 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Have you ever bought a recipe book because you really like the looks of what's on the front cover, only to find that there isn't a recipe for the thing on the front, which was probably just a non vegan library shot the publisher used?! I have :(

Roxy
Nov 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Tonight I went to a vegetarian restaurant and had a vegan blueberry cheesecake for dessert :D

It's main ingredient was tofu, (not vegan cream cheese) and it was okay, though a little lacking in flavour compared to what I remember dairy cheesecake to taste like.

flojo
Nov 28th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Have you ever bought a recipe book because you really like the looks of what's on the front cover, only to find that there isn't a recipe for the thing on the front, which was probably just a non vegan library shot the publisher used?! I have :(

yep! 'sinfully vegan' - has the most gorgeous choc cake with strawberries on the front, but if i'm not wrong its not actually in the book! (maybe i just can't figure out which one it is?)
flo :)

Lily
Nov 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I've got that book too, and was annoyed that I couldn't find the cover recipe inside. No reference to it at all, in fact :( .

Spiral
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Here's another cheesecake recipe. I have made it myself and it's very tasty.

Base:

8oz/200g digestive biscuit crumbs
3oz/75g vegan margarine

Topping:

10oz/250g tofu, soft textured if possible
2oz/50g vegan margarine
1 1/2 tsp gelozone or other vegan gelatine replacement
5fl.oz/125ml soya milk
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
2oz/50g caster sugar
a few drops of natural vanilla flavouring to taste

Melt the margarine for the base and mix it thoroughly into the biscuit crumbs. Press this mixture into a 9in/22cm flan case (or anything else that's similar) and leave to cool and set.

Melt the margarine for the topping. Disolve gelozone in the cold milk and then stir mixture into the melted margarine, heat until boiling point then blend this with all the reamining ingredients except the fruit. The mixture should be really smooth and creamy.

Spread the tofu mixture over the cooled base and chill for a few hours.

flojo
Nov 29th, 2005, 12:31 AM

yay! thats exactly what i was looking for! i was trying to make one pretty much with those exact ingredients :)
thank you - i'm so happy now :D can't wait to get home from work and make it!
do you think i could use the same quantity of Agar as you did with the vegan gelatine?
flo

flojo
Nov 29th, 2005, 12:37 AM
...then blend this with all the reamining ingredients except the fruit...

sorry - when you say fruit, do you just mean the lemon? or do you think it is possible to add other fruit, say strawberries, and still have the mixture set hard enough?

flojo
Dec 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Spiral, you are amazing!!! this was the most wonderful cheesecake! thank you sooooooo much :D

it worked out perfectly and i think i'll double it next time so that it fills up more of the cake tin. it tasted unbelievable!!!

Blueshark
Dec 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM
link (http://deliciouschoices.com/recipes.html) was on Erics Diner pod cast. Seemingly amazing cheesecakes. I bought the recipe book - would be wrong to publish it here, but it is only $10 US.

Will attempt to make one!! :eek:

DianeVegan
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Blueshark, I saw that website and am hoping that the one store which sells those cheesecakes is still open here in Connecticut! If they are truly good I will also get the downloadable "book." I'm not a big cheesecake fan but I know a few........

Pob
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
http://deliciouschoices.com/index.html

It says they aren't making the cheesecakes anymore :(

DianeVegan
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Oh no, you're right! I'll just have to make my own.

princessemma
Feb 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
For anyone who has heard of 'The Cake Scoffer' book it's produced by animal aid and I highly reccomend the cheesecake. It is so easy.

200g tofu (just standard doesn't need to be silken)
750ml vanilla vegan ice-cream eg; Swedish glace
250g disestive biscuits
big knob of vegan marg

1. Bash the biscuits into crumb.
2. Melt marg in a saucepan and add the biscuit crumbs,mix until well coated.
3. Press biscuit mixture into flan-type dish or deep cake pan, about 9cm round. I recommend a loose bottomed one if possible.
4. Preheat oven to gas mark 5 or 190 degrees C.
5. Blend the tofu and ice-cream together, I used a hand-blender. Pour onto biscuit base, bake in oven for 30 mins.
6. Cool and then refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.

You can add a topping but you don't have to. I took mine to my local veggie and vegans meeting and I suddenly became everyone's best friend.

coconut
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
1 1/2 tsp gelozone or other vegan gelatine replacement

Does anyone know of a decent vegan gelatine substitute that is available in UK shops? I've had a look for agar agar flakes but so far no luck.

Jane M
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Could you use kosher gelatine? I hear it is vegan. I can get agar agar here but that won't help you much.:o

coconut
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hoorah! :) I found some agar flakes in a local health food shop today. They were in the Japanese food section. I had a look for kosher gelatine but all I could find was the beef kind.

princessemma
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The Cake Scoffer do one;

250g digestive biscuits crushed
knob of vegan marg
750ml vegan ice-cream
200g tofu, any type

Basically melt the marg in a pan mix in the biscuits put them into a cake tin about 9 inches in diameter.
Blend the tofu with the ice-cream and add to the base.
Cook on gas mark 5 for 30 minuets till the top starts to brown, leave to cool and then chill in the fridge.
You can add a fruity topping but it's delicious without.

eclectic_one
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hoorah! :) I found some agar flakes in a local health food shop today. They were in the Japanese food section. I had a look for kosher gelatine but all I could find was the beef kind.
Be careful, Kosher gelatin isn't always truly vegan. One brand (I think it's Emes) has been found to have animal ingredients through testing, though the company denied it. Since then, Emes has apparently gone "belly up." (See http://www.vegparadise.com/news56.html) There is vegan gelatin, but I've only been able to find it in online stores.

coconut
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Spiral, you are amazing!!! this was the most wonderful cheesecake!

I'll second that!! :) I tried that recipe last night and its the best tasting dessert I've made in ages. Keep dreaming up your sweet ideas Spiral ;)

Rouge
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for the cheesecake ingredients, i wanted a recipe that was simple and hassle free and tasted delicious too and that's exactly what i got, my 1st ever strawberry cheesecake turned out absolutely delicious and i had it all to myself not in one go of course...cant wait for the next one!

Ruj:cool:

Tigerlily
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:24 PM
How much is a big knob of margarine? I never ever heard anyone use that term here... except for door knob.